Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Artistic Pavers - Shellock or Stonelock

Posted by Sprstr13 (My Page) on
Tue, May 17, 11 at 0:05

We are interested in using either Shellock or Stonelock Artistic Pavers for the decking around our pool. We really like the look of the pavers and available 12"x12" coping. We also like the Ashlar pattern they are laid in for the decking.

One of the pool builders we are considering recommends them highly and stated they are higher quality than the typical concrete pavers.

We spoke to another of the pool builders we are considering and he stated that his company stopped using them a couple of years ago due to quality issues w/the shells coming out and issues with the coping.

Has anyone used Artistic Pavers? How do they hold up over time? Are they worth the extra expense? Is travertine a better option?

Thamks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Artistic Pavers - Shellock or Stonelock

I just got Shellock because I love the shell and am very tired of regular concrete pavers. They definitely stay cooler in direct sun than our neighbors pavers. The Stonelock is pretty neat, too, but a
title harder to clean, according to the couple of PBs we talked to about it.
We haven't had ours long enough to judge durability, but they are used in a lot of commercial establishments here in Florida. The pool at Sarasota Yacht Club is surrounded by ivory Shellock and they have problems keeping it clean the very high traffic areas - where non-pool traffic passes by stairs.
I know shells are going to come out here and there. If it bothers me I can just fill it with grout. I don't think it's any worse than the chipping and wearing I see on concrete pavers.
Also, I don't think it's as slippery when wet as travertine. More than regular pavers which I think are often rough.
Hopefully you can see the real thing before you have to decide. I loved it when I saw a corner of an indoor showroom with it.
One local builder here had a showroom pool with it, which helped me decide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here