Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sprstr13_gw

Artistic Pavers - Shellock or Stonelock

Sprstr13
12 years ago

We are interested in using either Shellock or Stonelock Artistic Pavers for the decking around our pool. We really like the look of the pavers and available 12"x12" coping. We also like the Ashlar pattern they are laid in for the decking.

One of the pool builders we are considering recommends them highly and stated they are higher quality than the typical concrete pavers.

We spoke to another of the pool builders we are considering and he stated that his company stopped using them a couple of years ago due to quality issues w/the shells coming out and issues with the coping.

Has anyone used Artistic Pavers? How do they hold up over time? Are they worth the extra expense? Is travertine a better option?

Thamks in advance for your help!

Comments (15)

• c9pilot
    12 years ago

I just got Shellock because I love the shell and am very tired of regular concrete pavers. They definitely stay cooler in direct sun than our neighbors pavers. The Stonelock is pretty neat, too, but a
    title harder to clean, according to the couple of PBs we talked to about it.
    We haven't had ours long enough to judge durability, but they are used in a lot of commercial establishments here in Florida. The pool at Sarasota Yacht Club is surrounded by ivory Shellock and they have problems keeping it clean the very high traffic areas - where non-pool traffic passes by stairs.
    I know shells are going to come out here and there. If it bothers me I can just fill it with grout. I don't think it's any worse than the chipping and wearing I see on concrete pavers.
    Also, I don't think it's as slippery when wet as travertine. More than regular pavers which I think are often rough.
    Hopefully you can see the real thing before you have to decide. I loved it when I saw a corner of an indoor showroom with it.
    One local builder here had a showroom pool with it, which helped me decide.

• lizert
    9 years ago

I am getting ready to purchase Shellock Artistic Pavers for my pool deck. Does anyone have this product and can you tell me the pros and cons? Was it slippery after being sealed? Do the shells come off? Anyone have problems with renovation coping? Any reviews would be helpful. Thank you.

• lizert
    9 years ago

Thank you, I feel better about my decision already. Can you tell me if your coping was new construction coping, or renovation coping? (The renovation coping goes over existing tile and has a small piece that comes down over the edge). They use epoxy and pins (from what I understand) to attach the smaller edge piece to the coping. I'm curious if this piece comes loose at all. Thank you again.

• PRO
    Artful Pools Design and Consulting
    9 years ago

Artistic pavers are considered the best paver around pools. The are higher psi than regular pavers, less sand joints and higher quality finish look. They were designed and manufactured by Dan Essig fro Essig Pools in Miami Fla. I have used for over 10 years with not complaints.
    Mark

• Marcia Costa
    6 years ago

Can someone post pictures of pool decks? thank you!

• Richard Mueller
    6 years ago

• Donna Hedgepeth
    3 years ago

Do you have to seal Artistic pavers?

• HU-593985773
    2 years ago

Torn between Belgard Oceanside shell pavers or Artistic Pavers? Any thoughts? Feedback?

• chispa
    2 years ago

@HU-593985773, I am using the Shellock pavers from AP in my my new house. It will go on the lanai and around the pool. I didn't look at the Belgard version as I have friends that have been using Artistic Pavers for ten years and been very happy with them. They recently moved and used them again in their new house. I am using driveway pavers from Belgard and it was really hard to get samples and find inventory with the look/style I wanted. I knew I was using the Shellock early on so we got those ordered a while back. You might want to check inventory on both options and see what you can get in time for your project.

• Donna Reed
    last year

Has anyone had issues with "rust" colors coming out of their pavers (only installed 2 weeks)! I'm freaking out! It wasn't there at first and now it is coming out all over. I've heard it can be a part of the stone and will eventually run it's course and have heard its from a contanimated paver base. HELP!!!

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Not all pavers are the same.

Looks like yours are natural stone. There are several threads on here about people having rust stains with natural pavers.

I have no staining on my Shellock Ivory pavers from Artistic Pavers and they were installed 10 months ago.

• Donna Reed
    last year

I definitely wanted a natural stone. I never heard of this being an issue before!!

• Ashley McAlister
    last year

Mine were just installed a few months ago, and I am having rust spots as well. Also having discoloration in the joint lines after the pavers get wet. Overall, so far I regret not going with travertine. They also stain super easy. Got mud on a few spots and I have tried multiple things, even bleach, and cannot remove the stain from the mud even though we washed off very soon. Also, the lines from the intall are off because some pavers are not exact size, so I have gaps in them (waiting on paver install company to fix). My neighbors travertine has such a clean look installed, you don't see the gaps like you do with these because of the beveled edges. Lastly, they are just as slippery as travertine.

• Angie Crutchfield
    7 months ago

@Donna Reed did you figure out what caused your staining or anything to resolve it?