Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool pump hums then switches off...

Posted by caliking (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 23:25

Hello.

After a big storm in Houston last weekend, I discovered that my pool pump was not working. The circuit breaker for the pump had tripped. When I reset it, the pump hums, then switches itself off. The body of the motor gets hot to touch.

I searched the web and figured it must be a problem with the start or run capacitor. Pool guy came today and replaced a capacitor. The pump ran for a few hours and then the timer switched it off. I came home after work and tried to run the pump again, but had the same problem - pump hums, then switches off, and the body was hot. Called the pump guy and he says the motor needs to be replaced, since it is shorting out.

I had a single speed AO Smith 2hp motor and was thinking of replacing it with the same. The pool is about 8years old. Any ideas for a better pump? Also, I read that I should replace the shaft seal and back plate seal if I am replacing the motor.

Any comments/suggestions/tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool pump hums then switches off...

It's likely the insulation in coils of the motor having broken down and now shorting out when it gets warm/hot. Replacing the seal set behind the impeller and seal plate and the motor are usually what are called for. Make sure the SF is the same if you are keeping the motor size the same.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here