Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sumnerkjr

Newbie Pool Owner - Remodel Help

sumnerkjr
12 years ago

So we just purchased our first home with a pool. It looked like it was in fair condition, but the pool inspection revealed that the plaster is bubbling and cracking. In addition, the filter was dirty, pumps outdated, on and on...

I have come to grips with the fact that we are going to have to spend some money to get the pool back into pristine condition. My overall question is: How much?

Specifically,

1. Is pebble-tec, pebble-sheen or other aggregate materials that much better than plaster, or would any money be better spent in upgrading the equipment?

2. It appears that energy efficient systems are much more costly than some "older equipment" -- are they really that much better or is it advertising hype?

3. Assuming we have to replace EVERYTHING, what kind of system should I be looking for?

Some Pool Basics. I believe it is aprox 33,000 gal in ground pool with a spa. It was a bromine pool (apparently the bromine part is leaking badly). The tile and coping look good. It has a waterfall as well. The heater started smoking when the inspector turned it on....lots of fun.

What I would like. As easily maintained/low effort pool as possible, salt water system, efficient heating and pumps that will not make my energy bill go through the roof (are these onymoroms?). Some kind of aerator to cool off the pool, DE filter?, remote control.

Any suggested systems/setups and approximate costs? Any recommended remodel companies in Sugar Land, Texas?

Many thanks in advance!!

Comment (1)