Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shappy_gw

Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump w/ Timer

shappy
12 years ago

I need to replace my heater and filter on a 20 year old pool so I thought a Pentair heater and DE Filter. I thought as long as I'm at it I would replace the 1.5 pump for the Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump w/ Timer so I would get the 3 year warranty from Pentair. The pump is around 11 years old and works well except a minor leak.

I'm in California so I have to get a variable pump or else one so low that it won't run my solar/cleaner etc. I had a guy out a couple of years ago and he said I couldn't use the variable speed because of my solar and a spa that spills into the pool. Huh? Isn't that pretty standard.

Also a little confused about how the timer works on this pump. I want to hook it up with my Jandy Ji-2000. The purchase install would be through Leslies.

Comments, suggestions are appreciated as I now little about pool equipment other than I know mine needs replacing. I think my pool/spa is around 18,000 gallons.

Comments (12)

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Hmm, it seems Leslie's can't answer your questions. Why are you buying from them? Are they really cheaper if they can't answer them? There is value in knowledge. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.

You can get a 2 speed also. Since you have a a rather old automation system, bear in mind it won't have a clue as to what an Intelliflo or any other variable speed pump is so it can't control it. It does know what a two speed is though and if you have a single, extra, open relay, you could use a two speed pump legally, lower your energy costs significantly, and not have to use an Intellicom II for speed changes of the Intelliflo even if there room in the Ji-2000 to allow it.

Without the Intellicom II, you would be forced to manually change speeds when going to and from the spa mode and the timers on the pump set to turn the pump on and off. The timers on the pump would be blind to the existing automation system. Your Ji-2000 would be just as blind to the pump.

Scott

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your response. I'm not buying through Leslies because they are cheaper but because I don't know anybody to do it. Also with the 3 yr warranty I figure Leslies should be able to service if necessary.
    The Intellicom was included to run the Ji2000. Realistically all I want to do is run the spa and lights from the house. If this isn't possible I won't get the pump installed. Do you think it's a good pump? We rarely use our spa or solar and pay a TON for electricity so I'm trying to cut costs.

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

My concern is that your Ji-2000 may not have enough open relays, or if you are using an Intellicom-II (it can handle either), open valve actuators as an alternate, available, you won't have anything to tell the pump to use different speeds.

I know the Intelliflo is a great line of pumps. It does exactly what is claimed, lowers your power consumption by a lot. so much in fact that it can easily pay for itself in savings, especially in places like California, where power is expensive on a per kilowatt basis.

What is available in you automation is what is important. If you only have a single, extra relay available, a two speed pump is going to be a better option. If you don't have anything open in there, you might have to do a fork lift swap with another, larger automation system.

Did Leslie's send anyone to look at the existing setup?

Scott

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Scott
    No Leslies did not send anybody to look at the existing setup and I'm kind of thinking of canceling the deal (I haven't paid anything.) They charge to come out and give a real estimate and that rubs me the wrong way.

So I went to Magnolia pool supply. The guy will send some one to the house to give me a real estimate. Sounds like I could save around $1,000 going all Hayward. Do you think the Hayward Ecostar is a good pump or do you think the Pentair is better? I guess Hayward gives you a 3 year warranty if you buy all 3.

Then I talked to a nice gentleman who has done some pool work for me. He quoted me double for the pump but would install any I purchased myself for less. He also suggested the two speed pump instead but admitted it wouldn't communicate with the Jandy and I would need to go and turn it up when I wanted to run the spa. But I quickly realized I would need to do the same for the kreepy krauler and no I don't want to do that because that's used daily.

Here's my question/concern. I know my Jandy won't really work with the variable I just want to make sure that the timer on the pump will independently run like high speed for two hours (to run the cleaner) then automatically back down to low for like 10 hours. I would like the Jandy to run the functions it does now (pool lights, heater, spa) I understand i would manually have to turn the pump up for the heater, spa and that's o.k. (that function is not worth an additional few thousand to upgrade the automation system.) Is my understanding correct?

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OH MY GOSH!! I just went to the Pentair website--they say they have an app to control their pump with your ipad or iphone--I have both-- would this solve my problem of the antiquated Jandy?

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

No I guess you have to have their controller to use the app. This is SOO Confusing!!!!!

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

The Eco-Star is a relatively new model so it's MTBF period is a big question mark. Past experience with Hayward brand products is not the greatest but they usually fix the product in a reasonable amount of time, for a manufacturer that is.

Your description of the existing automation is quite accurate. Calling it antique hits the nail on the head. It hasn't been made for years and thus, no one would even think to do any developmental work on it or for it.

What needs to be determined for the use of the Intelliflo or a two speed pump is the number of open and available relays and/or valve actuator ports.

The two speed pump can be of any of the major manufacturers as they, by and large, use the same technologies and that has been available for a long time. There is a high speed coil and a low speed coil. Each gets it's own set of connections. Only one is turned on at a time. I am pretty sure your system can operate a two speed but not 100% positive. If I had the time, I would go looking for the most recent docs to find out.

If it has either/and/or a free relays and valve actuator ports, each available one can represent a speed to the Intelliflo pump. The Intellicom II, used to interface between the pump and the automation system, can talk to both types of interfaces though the physical connection sometimes requires the tech be astute, electronically speaking as well as electrically.

IMHO, Leslie's not sending someone is problematic. They have no idea if your existing gear can accommodate where you want to be. Add that you have no idea either and you have a blind leading the blind situation.

Can the Intelliflo's internal timers be used to ramp up/down at specific times? Absolutely. If using the spa, would you need to manually change the speed on the pump? Yes you would. You would need to connect the power going to the relay that normally sends power to your pump directly to the pump for the timer to work properly.

The pump's timer can have up to 8 events. A ramp up would be one even. Ramping back down would be a second event.

If the caveats I have mentioned are ones you are willing to live with, you should be OK. If not, then expect to need to buy and install a new automation controller. That will cost you though.

Scott

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think I'm getting it. What I'm really asking is can the variable be installed independent of the old Jandy? Just keeping the Jandy doing what it's doing and letting the variable pump run w/o a controller? I'm assuming that the controller is not essential since the timer/programs are built in. If it's just a matter of manually upping the pump when I want to use the spa/heater I'm o.k. with that since it's a rare event. What I'm not o.k. with is manually upping the motor for the kreepy krauler since it's a daily event.
    If the variable pump has to go through the old Jandy that seems like it's looking for trouble. Isn't there an inexpensive (less than $1,000) solution for a new updated controller? I don't need a fancy one. Or is that the pool equipment company's gotcha? With all the wireless technology out there why are we stuck with $3,000 automation systems that are wired?

• poolguynj
    12 years ago

Manually upping for the spa is what will happen.
    If the Cleaner is connected, I see no reason the pump can't be set to ramp up/down at a specific time every day. However, it won't change your valve actuator settings for you. Those would have to come from the automation system.

As to the why pool automation systems cost, a large part of it is because it has to sit outdoors. That changes the type of environment and the fact that controllers are not mass produced like PCs and don't benefit from the scales of economics that PCs get to enjoy. Each maker is responsible for the hardware development and software development.

Some luxuries cost more. Look at cars as an example. Pools are no different.

Scott

• shappy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all your help Poolguy. I've finally come to my senses and I hope I've made a rational decision.

1. Ditched Leslies--not my style

2. Found a local independent pool builder/dealer who is an authorized Pentair dealer. I got good vibes and he did come out to look at my current equipment to make sure all would be well. He said it looks like a pretty straightforward install.

Bought the variable pump, new filter and heater--all pentair so I'll get the 3 year warranty. They also gave me a decent price on the Easy touch which will also get the 3 year warranty.
    Decided it was the way to go because in the long run running out to the equipment and turning on the spa would be going backwards and if i'm not home NO ONE would ever be able to figure out how to do it. They did offer me an 'upgrade' on the Jandy but for a little more I figure it's better to go all Penair and the Jandy actuators are 20 yrs old--they will give out sooner or later.

I opted for the Easy touch 4 because I have a rather simple pool/spa. The only question I have is will this be able to handle my roof solar also? If it doesn't it's not a big deal, I don't use it too often.

Install is next week, hope I made the right choices because I spent a little $$$!
    I appreciate your patience in answering all my questions, it's been quite difficult for me to understand.

• womanowned
    12 years ago

The Easy Touch 4 has a 5th relay noted for solar.

• shappy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thought I would post a follow up to my original inquiry. We went with the all Pentair, intelliflo and easy touch. I went with the independent pool contractor and I wish I could say all went smoothly. He did about 95% of the work but it was difficult to get him back for the last 5% but finally did. He was a Pentair authorized dealer (from their website). Pentair was actually very helpful over the phone in helping set up the Easy Touch.

I'm not bothering to try and set up the solar because the new heater works so quickly it's not necessary. Basically it's either spending money on gas or electric.

The difference in our electric bill is about $150/month. We are in S. California. So all in all glad we changed everything and thanks everyone here for their input.