Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimin2012

Comments on my estimate please

SwimIn2012
12 years ago

For a Gunite pool in Northeast. Pool only - coping to be done separately, no decking. No soil report, but we think it is clay soil. high water table at end of winter. Any additional items I need? Does price seem reasonable? Is rebar big enough? Is concrete too thin? I have read it should be 12" bond beam and 8-10" walls, and thicker floor and corners. Thank you for any help.

800 sq ft rectangle - 8' deep end, 4-5' shallow end

40' x 18'

Steps built into shallow end of pool - 8 ' wide - 3 steps

Swim out bench in deep end 8' wide

rebar 1/2" dia

spaced 12" on center verticals

and 12" on center horizontal

floor - rebard 1/2" dia

spaced 18" on center horizontal

and vertical over entire floor

Concrete:

Bond Beam 10" min width by 14" min depth

Footing: 12" min

Wall 6" min

Floor - 6" min

Piping: 2" sched 40 pvc

Plaster: white or grey

Tile: 6" Frost Free around perimeter

Built in steps in shallow end

hydrostatic water pressure relief plug-one or more units, as needed.

(in floor at deep end)

Topsoil - saved and stockpiled on site (no respreading)

Subsoil - consumed around pool, or piled on site

Any additional fill required for construction will be extra

580 sq ft Cartridge Filter

Stealth Pump 2 HP

2 white lights

2 Deluxe wide mouth skimmers

Pool alarm

Vacless-Safety Vacuum Release System

Initial Start up instructions and indoctrination

workers comp and liability insurance

Not included: finish grading (they will return to rough grading), seeding,

electric, gas, water, also not included.

Owner pays for clearing of site to allow for truck access

If we hit water or rock or other objects upon excavation, we pay cost +

20% or can cancel the contract if cost is too high. Cancelation requires

payment of actual cost plus 20% for the work done up to that point.

Price: $45,900

Extras -

Automatic pool cleaner: Polaris 280 Vac Sweep complete with Pump $1,400

Pool Heater: Jandy LXI 400,000 BTU-natural gas $3,530

Comments (5)

• swimmer22
    12 years ago

That seems high to me-- however, our pool is a vinyl liner steel wall pool that we had installed with walk in steps, diving board, all pentair equipment, salt water generator, color changing light (great investment) water, electrical, regrading/seeding, and walkways for just under $24K. I paid separately for retaining wall development and fencing, adding another $8K to the price.

Vinyl is the way to go-- even down the road I can replace a liner for about $2K and replastering is three times that amount. You may want to look around.

• SwimIn2012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi swimmer22,
    Thanks for your reply. Where are you located? What size is your pool? Your price is amazingly low. I also got prices on Vinyl liner pools, but they are also much higher than yours. Including some custom benches and steps in concrete, the vinyl pool from my preferred pool builder is around $45,000 total ($36,000 +$6,000 for coping + $2,900 for electric).
    I tried to price out the components of my gunite pool as if I would contract it out myself, and I come to about $40,000 at the high end. I did meet with 3 reputable pool builders. The quote I posted was the lowest price. This was not my favorite builder, and I will probably go with a company that is charging even more than this. The description is pretty much the same as above, but with 8" walls and 12" bond beam + auto filler. The price from my preferred pool builder is $54,000. Add another $2900 for electric and $4,000 for stone coping, and the total is around $61,000. It seems insane. Remember, this is for a simple pool with no special feature, no heater and no decking! It is fairly large and deep, but still, very high price. And this does not include any extra charges that I must budget for, in case they hit rock or water.
    I have not tried to negotiate the price down yet, so any comments from people in the NY/NJ area would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• swimmer22
    11 years ago

Hey there-- we live in the Harrisburg PA vicinity. Our pool was installed 3 years ago-- but the price we paid should not have increased to $45K for a vinyl pool. I priced fiberglass, gunite, and vinyl. After consideration, vinyl was the way to go. They are also the most popular pool in this area. I went with a family owned business who only works on one pool at a time. They start and finish one job before moving on to another. That is the main reason I chose them. My pool was completed in 3 weeks-- including my retaining wall and fencing.

Our neighbor installed a pool and it took slightly over 2 months, mainly because the pool contractor had many jobs going at once and many days nobody showed up to do any work and on others they would show up, work 2 hours then transfer to another job- trying to keep all their install customers happy. Something to definately discuss with your installer.

• thejimbar
    11 years ago

We are in Northern NJ and your prices sound like NJ prices. My pool today would be at least $80K+, just for the pool. Take your price and add on at least another 50% for good landscaping, fences, decking, etc. Pools are worth it all, but don't come cheap.

Spend it upfront on what you want, go with quality work(get references!!!), and in the end you will be a lot happier.

• thejimbar
    11 years ago

Typo, $70K plus was what I meant to type.