Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
truxtc102

DFW Dream backyard journey-new pool!

truxtc102
10 years ago

I've been a lurker in our forum for a while now and it is time to post our specs for opinions! My dream is to have an ultimate backyard with many entertainment features (not at once) and it will begins with having a swimming pool first. We are on the permits part of the process,and hoping to start with the next phrase which is the building part within this month!
Pool size: 20 * 35 Perimeter 93'
Pool Depth: 3'6 * 5'1 pool area 540
pump variable speed jandy
Filter 460 catridge
cleaner polaris 280
main drain: yes
skimmers: 2:
return lines: 4
plaster: wetedge satin matrix- ?? maybe north shore tahoe?
coping: ok flags stone
Decks: 550 rainbow aggregate to match our existing patio
love seat: 6 *18
LED light: 1
PDA 4 wireless remote control
Fusion inground with chlorine
Acuator motor for water feature-3' sheer descent, (2) 12'' sheer descent.
Tan ledge with umbrella sleeve and 1 bubbler
Add 1 load of rock in the ground before rebar and gunite
25' of 12''-30'' raise beam

I really appreciate any inputs on my specs! I only have a few choices when it comes to 'level 1' satin matrix or pearl matrix. Please feel free to post your pictures if you've used wet edge plaster. Thank you so much! :)

Comments (47)

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

We too are just starting our process. Congratulations! I am gonna try to document our journey along with pictures....so I would love to follow your build and see pictures along the way. We are doing Pebble Sheen in our pool, I think we are going with white diamonds or aqua blue.
    Dena

• jerseypool
    10 years ago

Trux: Welcome to the "process!" Where are you located?

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jerseypool, we are in the mansfield area. As much excitement as I'm getting, I'm very anxious and stressing out with the choices and the waiting game already!Can someone please review my specs and tell me if there's anything I should add or pay attention to? Thanksss!!

• txsteel
    10 years ago

Truxtc 102,

You may want to consider 2 LED lights for the size pool. Try to pay attention to everything. I asked a lot of questions and I have made several corrections on placements of lights, how the stone was placed etc. The mason started to build the spa spillway totally different to what we wanted until I corrected him. One thing to note is the flagstone coping, to save money and material they will use pieces of stone as wedges or fillers instead of big solid pieces. I was ok with this to an extent, but I had them change some out as to not look so choppy. I have photos of our build on another site. google "Under construction in McKinney Tx"

This post was edited by txsteel on Fri, Apr 5, 13 at 8:50

• jerseypool
    10 years ago

Mansfield... NJ? We're not too far away from you if you're there. We're in Burlington County.

20' x 35'? with one LED? I think that's pushing it a bit. We have a 16' x 38' fiberglass, and two LED's just fill the pool. If I went any larger, a third would've been needed. I think you may need to bump up to two LED's.

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did ask them that question at the planning stage, and he thinks since the shape of our pool doesn't have too much curves and straight forward one light would be good enough?! Adding one more is about 700 bux more, so I will have to think hard about that one addition should there be one more. Mansfield, Texas. :)

• paradigmdawg
    10 years ago

Hey Neighbor. Our pool is 32' x 16' and we went with one Intelibrite light right in the middle. The end are dark and two lights would have been much better.

Having said that, we almost never turn the pool light on. About the only time we ever turn it on is when I just hit it to make sure it still works.

We tend to enjoy the pool dark at night and we just use the flood lights over the pool when we play volleyball.

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

truxtc 102- Do you have any pictures yet? Id love to follow along with you as we do this very SCARY and expensive project together....We are only 1 week apart it seems!
    You are in Dallas right?...Im very excited for you!
    Here we go!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dena, here is my one and only picture so far believe it or not, beside the pool's drawing! I've seen other views for my pools but my designer for some reasons trying not to send it to me. It's been a month, and next week is our dig! I can't wait to share more pictures and talk about this process with you and others!
    Paradigmdawg, I love your pool's color! I'm getting wet edge satin matrix so I'm not sure if their north shore tahoe is about the same as pebble tech blue tahoe? Feel free to critic on my process since you've been there and done that!:)

Here is a link that might be useful: poolbuild1

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

I love the shape and how much space you have! This week right?
    Im so excited for you!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It's two days away Dena! Hopefully it won't rain! we'll see about that. My backyard has some trees but he did even care to make it as real as possible! I swear I go with this PB due to their reputation and not for their designer's sweet attitude. As long as they do their job right, I'll be fine. Yes, I still have some yards left to maybe do something fun.:)How are you feeling so far about your process?.

• txsteel
    10 years ago

Regarding the lights. We went with 2 lights for the pool. Instead of going LED I went with 1(500w) and 1(60w) watt. I do not need 2 with the regular lights, but my plan is to change them out in a year or 2 to LED. It cut back over $1K on my build price.

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

I am soo excited to get home from work today. They did the gunite today and the form for the rock slide...I got some early pictures my daughter sent to me & my husband took pictures until he had to leave for work..I am absolutely loving my PB....he really listens and is funny too!! Always has time for me no matter what! Gooood luck tomrw..I hope you have sunshine!!!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally got some of my pictures with some of the 'real' features in the yard. The design of my pool is about 95% of what needs to be done since I'm planning to add in some water markings around the tanning ledge, more decking, and a gazebo. The excavation was supposed to happen tomorrow, but now got push back to Thursday but it might not even happen due to the rain. I swear this week has been the longest week of my life!..lol..Oh, and since I already passed my budget point, might as well put in another LED light to make it a pair...:)

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Beautiful!..Im sooo sorry for the delaying of your dig! I know how I felt when they delayed mine because of the rain!
    I can honestly say, once they start it gets done Quick!
    I posted more pics of my dig and gunite on my page, check it out!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So it supposed to be schedule for today for the dig, due to some changes to the plan, they will need two machines to come out at once which it couldn't happen! We had reschedule for tomorrow butttttt it will be raining!! Just great! I'm a bit OCD when it comes to planning and meeting the goals so this is horrible feelings due to nobody's fault! I'm not sure if the ground is even dry up enough for the excavation on Friday so we'll see. If things won't happen this week, there's always the next right..lol

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

truxtc 102, Im so sorry! I soo know the feeling, but only because of the rain on my part. My Pool is 24 X 40 and they had 1 bobcat that did all my digging...almost in 1 day...they had to come back out the next day and only do minor digging....Well in my neck of the woods its suppose to be sunny from Friday all the way thru the weekend!
    Keep up your good spirits!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So, the delay is to be continue! The sweet thunder storm passed by our county last night and the rain stopped around 9 this morning. For this reason, we have to wait for 2 more days for the ground/soil to be completely dry out before we can get dig! Two weeks of waiting!! For once in my life, i wish that PB is not too careful about waiting on the ground to be dry (just kidding).:) I'm also don't know how my husband and I can conduct a serious project meeting before excavation at 8AM with three little kids! Seriously, I don't have a weekend babysitter people! Here is my question: I'm happy a difficult time to design how to transition my patio part into the pool's decking? As you can see from the picture, it has a small step down and path way on the left side of the patio into the decking. Now that I'm planning to put in a gazebo right next to the pool I feel that the patio needs to get a bit 'dress up' to lead out to it?! The thing is, if I make the stairs for the whole length of the patio (20 foot) and go straight out, it will cost alottt to cover it all up! Any ideas, pictures are appreciated!

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Maybe it would be less expensive to enlarge the part around your pool where the umbrella is on your tan deck and bring it all the way around to the bricked wall, that should / would be plenty of room for the gazebo.
    Let us know if they start the dig today!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dena, that would defnitely break my bank!..lol..I think that would be at least several thousand square feet we're talking about..:)..Finally, we got our hole! It's amazing how we can't seem to get bore staring at this skeleton of a pool and ugly dirt around it...haha...
    Here is what happened yesterday, we finally added several feet to the length of the pool. Change a bit to the design but it won't happen until they pour the deck. The expense keeps on adding and I need to stop myself from doing that! :)

A roomy tanning ledge for the kids

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

so glad they use some 'padding' for my driveway!

plenty of room for us to play in!

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Isn't it sooo exciting?! We still sit in the shell of ours in the evenings and imagine what it will be like when its all finished!
    Again, I totally understand about the expenses adding...we have since went with the Jandy Watercolors LED lighting and travertine coping instead of flagstone..ack!
    Im so excited for you..when do they shoot the gunite!?
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ohhh..Travertine is awesome! What color did you choose? I wouldn't dare to do another up grade but I plan to put more decking than my original plan..Somehow I hope that I don't have to..lolz...Did they start on your kitchen yet? If it doesn't rain tomorrow, then we are getting rebar, electrical is next and inspection is this Thursday. If it doesn't rain then gunite will be Friday. I think it will be raining so I'm not holding my breath for it! As long as I get the gunite in by Saturday, I am happy! :)

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

No they haven't started the kitchen process yet...I believe that the travertine we chose is called Mahogony. I'll post pictures when they come. They are suppose to start the tile and coping today. Hopefully it will only rain Wednesday and then it will be pretty the rest of the week!
    Dena

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

truxtc102, go look at the box I posted under the Jandy watercolors light show post....It shows you the different light shows that Jandy offers!...
    Hows it going so far? Did the inspection go well today?

Dena

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

truxtc102, did you get your gunite yesterday? If so, how does it look? Anxiously awaiting pictures!
    Dena

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Hello?..truxtc102?....How are YOU????
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry Dena, I've been so quiet lately!:) Work has been busy and I'm a bit lazy to upload things up. I didn't take that many pictures since the gunite and I haven't had my coping put in yet. There was a bit drama with the stone issues. They showed up last week with my Oklahoma coping but delivered the wrong one! The one that I picked was the 'upgraded' version of OK coping so the stone yard switched it up to the regular kind! They didn't have the Moss River Rock that I picked for the veneer of my raised wall so that was another problem. I had to settle for something called OK Creek Boulders and It was somewhat close to the one that I originally wanted. I had to go to a different stone yard to pick those out! Anyways, when they delivered a different batch of Oklahoma coping, I was furious! So after a few phone calls, my awesome designer talked to the superintendent and they agreed to give me the 3 inch 'upgrade' Oklahoma rocks for coping without additional $700 charge. That's not it! Because of the thickness of the rocks, the coping company has only a few crews that could handle it and they're all booked so my coping/rocks work has to get push back to tomorrow. That explains why I didn't have any pictures to show for..lolz...I promise I will post more pictures if they show up and work on my coping tomorrow! :)

Not a good angle, but it shows the semi-prepping for the deck with dirt.

Upclose tanning ledge

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

It looks HUGE...and very very nice! I love seeing it after the gunite because you can actually see the form of the pool. Im so sorry to hear about all the mix up..but hey...you get the upgrade for no additional costs...thats always a good thing! Keep us posted!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dena!:) We are making progress over here! We are scheduled for the decking to be set tomorrow, and pouring on Friday. Also, next week is plaster but it looks like it might not happen since there are some 'touch up' on the raise wall before moving on to the next stage. I have to be put back on schedule and not sure when they can come out to fix my stones. I also decided to switch to salt deck and stain it later. My original quote for a rainbow aggregate was a bit pricier, but it looks like the color won't match with my existing patio so what's the point?..lol...Going to a salt deck would save me some money and that equals to a bit more decking..yayyy...:) I was in love with a comfortable size yard at one point (about 10,000 plus sq foot) and now a dread when it comes to deciding how much decking do I want to get!

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Yea for You!!!..They came out yesterday and laid the re-bar and poured all the concrete in the same day...That went very very fast! We have a TON of decking now and are going to do the stamped, stained concrete.
    You will love having the decking done...Cant wait to see the pictures!!! And the pictures after you stain it!!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Now I feel the pressure to bring on the stain!!..haha...Now I have to go do some research to see what is a good brand for staining your own concrete! Is anyone having any idea?:) Next week, we are aiming for mastic, touch up on my rocks and plaster!! I can't believe we are done with this process now. Here are some pictures on the brand new concrete (yesterday).

Here is the view from the back door of my house. Please pardon the sandy mess! The dirt and sand was used to grade out the yard some what. My pool looks like it's sitting on a hill now, and on the left side will be all grass.

Another view of the deck

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I spent my whole afternoon today just to work on the flower bed, tomorrow will have to put down the palm trees! :)

• cathie2029
    10 years ago

truxtc102: Hey I'm in burlington twp. and looking/hoping to get a pool.. What builder did you end up going with (if you don't mind)?

• cathie2029
    10 years ago

paradigmdawg: I see you that you live in the area too? Now what builder did you go with? Any issues?

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Wow!!! I am soo excited for you!!! It looks beautiful!!! Here is where you will step ahead of me in the process! They start the addition today! AND..I love your flower beds!
    Keeeep posting the pictures and dont' forget to post the fanale!!! I can't wait to see it all done!
    Dena

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

kali2024, we are using Pulliams Pool. They've been around for 100 years already! Since 1916 :) So far, things are going great for us. I only have a few issues but they take care of it right away and they always seem to care. I think they build in your area.
    Dena: Thank you for your kind words! I'm excited for you too. Will they let you use the pool first while waiting for the kitchen to be done?:)

• banana_fanna
    10 years ago

I LOVE your rock wall. LOVE. Can we see a closer pic please?

You're not too excited now, are you? ;-) Does your builder know you've already started landscaping? I don't know what kind of plaster you're going to be doing but it's a big, messy job. It'll probably require covering up the poolside plants and making sure the guys don't trample anything with their boots or the hoses they'll be dragging in.

Looks terrific!

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

Ohhh trux......I'm so excited for you!!!!..I Know reading how worried you were!..It has turned out So Beautiful!!!..Please keep posting pictures!!! I "CANNOT" wait to see the Finale!!!
    In regards to, IF they would allow the Pool to be done 'before' the Addition,
    Regal Pools, will NOT even "think" about putting the Pebble Sheen in the pool YET....AND I totally agree with them with all the scraps of wood and shingles and the overall "construction" "Regal" Personally will not allow anything happening to the integrity of the gunite...IM IMPATIENT...and Want it NOW....but I totally Understand!!!
    They Warrant and Stand by their build enough to "deny" me the Pebble Sheen that I "desire"...and I totally "Respect" their reasoning behind this!!!..
    Even at this stage in the ENTIRE project (which is a Huge Build).....Regal Pools has been so "Patient" with me (Again..NOT an easy task!)...and I totally Trust them!...hard to say that about some builds!..But .. seriously...Josh has been a God Send!
    Keep posting Trux!! I cannot wait to see the finished Design!!!

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here is the upclose picture of my rock wall:)

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Banana-fanna..I'm getting Wetedge Satin Matrix so I'm assume it will be messy either way. They will cover up all the areas so I'm not too worry about it yet. I will be here to hover over these plans to protect them! :)..My in-laws will be visiting from out of state next week so I'm so ready for the pool to be done NOW. :)
    Dena: I know what you mean about not having the plaster in right now. I have a little issue with my rock wall, so the coping company will have to acid wash them a bit before my PB agrees to put in the plaster for me. Right now, it seems like things will go as schedule (knock on woods) that the plaster will be in this Thursday!! I can't wait for this process to be over so I can resod my yard and call it done! I will denitely post more pictures when they are done plastering my pool. I was supposed to check out the color in person but at this point I think I will just be happy with whatever! :)

Here is a picture of my wetedge satin matrix northshore tahoe. Hopefully my water will turn out as good as this picture! :)

• truxtc102
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe this process is over!! Well almost :) It will be exact 4 weeks by the time they dig the pool to pool's school stage. That time frame was already included so many delays due to the rainstorms, and delivered the wrong rocks. Pretty impressive in my book! :) They had just left my house after putting in wetedge satin matrix for plaster. This afternoon, the mastic crew will show up to seal around the pool's coping and deck. Tomorrow the plaster crew will come back to acid wash the pebbles and fill up the pool! Next Tuesday will be start up day for the pool and pool's school! OMG...I can really exhale now..lol...enjoy building everyone!!

This is my tanning ledge

I can't take the whole view with my phone, but here is almost the whole pool! :) it's still pretty wet and the plaster crew said acid wash will take out the 'mottling' look of the pebble right now.

My flowers did not get trembled (much)..yay! :)

• txsteel
    10 years ago

Just over 4 weeks is fast. congratulations on a great looking pool

• Dena Walters
    10 years ago

I am sooo excited for you!!!! It looks Beautiful!....I cannot wait to see it with water!!...Congratulations!
    Dena

• emh8
    10 years ago

Lovely!

• gammiesquiltes
    10 years ago

Very nice, love the total package.

• rmw_
    10 years ago

Looks fabulous!

Love the rock wall.

Sponsored