Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenc_2009

Stained Concrete Decking - is it slippery?

jenc_2009
15 years ago

Hi, I have to decide asap on pool decking. The only decking that I am in love with is a stained concrete look. Can you please let me know if you have stained concrete whether you think it is slippery or not? This is my only concern as I have 3 kids ages 5 and under and safety is my number 1 concern. My PB said he could brush it, but I'm still not 100% sure.

If you have stained concrete, please let me know. I am so exhausted from trying to decide on decking.

Thanks, Jennifer

Comments (9)

• loves2read
    15 years ago

are you talking stamped/stained or just stained concrete--I think there are ways to do the stamped that look nicer than brushed and create more of a tactile surface...not so slippery...but it is probably more expensive...but there are couple of different sealers that are no-slip to put on after concrete is finished...

• jenc_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I'm referring to stained, brushed concrete. I'm looking for a very simple look. I've looked at the Stamped and could not find a stamp or a color that I felt would fit right with my pool. Here is the look I am sort of after:

http://www.luxurypools.com/companies/companyprofiles/companyprofile.aspx?companyId=113

Thanks for your help!

• tresw
    15 years ago

It looks like the upper finish (top of platform) is tile in that picture, if you're referring to the lower area with the large gridded control joint pattern that appears to be salted concrete, not brushed. Basically they imbed rock salt in the surface of the concrete after it's poured but before it sets up. Then once it's cured they wash the salt out and it leaves behind voids in the surface to create the texture you're seeing. The finish can vary a lot depending on the installer. Ask your PB if they have any local examples you can look at. As for how slippery it is, it's not bad, about the same as broomed concrete. If you're going to stain it be careful of the darker colors, they can get quite hot!

• tresw
    15 years ago

That's a very nice-looking pool jeep_owner! Is that 1x1 mosaic tile on the baja shelf?

• jenc_2009
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. Anyone else have concrete decking?

Yes, I am talking about the floor decking. I understand the top of the steps are travertine... it's noche - I talked to the pool builder.

jeep_owner, lovely pool and I like the color. What did you use for the plaster?

• loves2read
    15 years ago

check out NCTAL's pool pix--he has two threads I think...
    he had stamped concrete that was stained with a dry powder at the mixer for continuous color throughout--not just sprayed finish--
    his pattern was Roman Granite in a sand buff color--I thought it was excellent look and finish is not that smooth...but think he said they also applied some type of finish that gave it kind of antique look...after doing the stamp, they cut a 5 x 5 large tile pattern in it

• airborne101
    15 years ago

You can do stained concrete with a brushed finish that will not be slippery. The slicker surfaces come from different sealers that are used. If you don't seal, it will wear away/fade faster. The wet look sealers are more slippery, but you can add sand/grip material to them. I would suggest a more matte sealer and also a grip agent added and it will be beautiful. Also the brushed finish will be more slip resistant than a hard troweled finish even if you don't apply a sealer. Hope this helps, Barb

• jeep_owner
    14 years ago

tresw - Yes, it's 1x1 glass tile that comes in sheets.

jenc - That is Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite.

Thanks for the comments. Hobert here in Dallas did a great job.