Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Step markers/lane markers in pools. Out of style?

Posted by banana_fanna (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 21:31

If not required by code, are people still putting them in pools?

If you're a builder, especially of high end pools, are your customers opting out of markers if not necessary?

On one hand I like the way some of them look - they can break up large areas of pebblesheen on big shelves and steps. They add a little visual interest in areas that can look kind of 'flat'.

But...are step and lane markers "OLD SCHOOL"? Are they the hair "scrunchies/banana clips" of the pool scene? At one time popular but now considered out of fashion?

I have a 48' swim lane that I'm staring at and wondering if I should put in a maker line of 2x2s. Yes, I do have trouble swimming in a straight line. But will I be sorry if I add these? What're the trends???

Below is an example of step markers that I think add to the step area. I think it looks better WITH than WITHOUT. But what do I know? I still wear my bell bottoms...

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of step marker

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Step markers/lane markers in pools. Out of style?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing bell-bottoms while swimming laps in your marked lanes.

Seriously, it is your pool, and your not in jr. high anymore. Who cares what is cool, do what you want.
Sounds like you want the lanes marked so go for it.

o

Wear those bell bottoms and put in your lanes if you like them.

I dont see many of my customers using trim tile on steps and benches anymore (more specifically in Pebbletec pools). Mainly because the clarity of the water is so good, there is no mistaking where the steps and benches are. Back in the day, trim tile was helpful in marking the step edge for visual purposes. So unless there are elderly or very young children using the pool, we dont put in trim tile by default (unless of course its requested)

Swim lanes are different, if you are a serious lap swimmer, then by all means, put in a lane.

But like texasdad says, Its YOUR pool, do whatever you like best.

-ks

o

I on the fence right now making the same decision.
My PB is going to give me some excess tile that he has (that I like) but I'm still waiting for the labor quote. Perhaps that will make the decision for me.
I've only got a 40' swim lane that is diagonal across an L-shaped pool, and I'm worried about getting lost.
DH is thinking along the lines of spot step and bench markers instead of strips, so that would mean 3x3 or 4x4 glass tiles arranged in squares maybe 6" apart. gotta think that through still. (The glass tiles are about 3/4" squares - individually, you wouldn't be able to see them)

I like the example ithe link you posted, but it's a lot bolder than I'd like with lots of steps and benches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here