Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ibobi

Taking the plunge...new pool build

ibobi
15 years ago

Well we finally did it. Took the plunge and signed on the line. The PB started on March 31. We just completed week 4 and I am very happy with their progress. I hope they keep up the pace and the weather cooperates. We are located in Texas in the Dallas suburbs. I wanted to share some of what has happened and best of all.the pictures. Lets get to it.

Week 1 Â They showed up late Monday and did some prep work. Dug up the patio and shaved off the top grade. Tuesday they dug out the pool and staked everything out. Wednesday they did the rebar. Thursday they did the plumbing.

Friday was some clean-up.

Week 2 Â Monday was gunite. Tuesday was nothing. Wednesday they showed and started the tile. It was the wrong tile. We had changed it on the Saturday before and word had not trickeled down. Tile was back ordered and should be in next week. Friday they delivered the equipment.

Week 3 Â Monday they installed the electrical and put the control panel and ozone system on the house. Wednesday we had the electrical sub come back and do some side work. We are installing a electric gate on the back alley entrance. We also needed some flood lights and outlets added for later use.

Week 4 Â Tuesday was correct tile day. Glad we made the change. It looks great.

Wednesday and Thursday was stone work day. Starting to look like a pool.

This is where we stand. Next week they should form the deck and do some more plumbing. Hopefully we should have that complete by the end of next week. Fingers crossed.

I would like to give a special thank-you to tresw for all his posts in the last few months. Helped out to see someone else going thru what I was about to go thru. Our pool build is very similar to his except my yard is not the size of Rhode Island. Thanks to everyone else who posts their experiences and pictures. I promised myself that I would do this, because I gained so much from others on this site. Let me know if you have any questions and/or comments. I donÂt promise that I can do as well as tresw, but I will try my best. I have put some comments before each picture for your reading pleasure, enjoy.

Our lovely yard before the dig....we killed the grass before the dig because a landscaper friend said it would help from grass growing in the landscaping afterwards. We also had a trampoline where there is dirt.

the big dig day.....

After the dig....lets do some rebar!!!!

we have rebar

lets add some plumbing.....

time for some chemical injection. north texas is well known for its foundation problems.

gunite........

equipment delivered...we had the pad poured for a heater if we decide to add one later. we also had gas run to the pad as well. no cost to have the pad bigger, but the cost of running the gas line line now instead of later is huge.

more equipment installed. i went back and forth on the ozone. i decided to throw it in.

tile day......

we are real happy with the tile.....

stone work...small waterfall

some stones to break up the flagstone coping on the upper deck

more stonework....

Comments (38)

• syntagma
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It looks beautiful! I love your tile too! can't wait to see it completed!

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

I am so glad to have opened up your thread! I just went and picked out my tile and pallets of flagstone today.

We too picked Oklahoma Wister and I was concerned, because we have a very long stacked stone wall, and the designer told me that they basically chip the flagstone to achieve the look.

But when it's chipped, it all looks the same inside. I was so worried that I would have the multi colors on my coping and decking, but that my wall would look blah.

Now that I've seen yours, it makes me feel so much better! It looks great! I do see variations in color and it looks beautiful!

• tresw
    15 years ago

Bob, that's looking really fabulous!! I love the tile, great choice! I've got to ask, how the heck did they get the Bobcat out of the hole? Did they crane it out or was there an earthen ramp?

And thanks so much for the compliments!! Rhode Island, LOL! It sure seems that size when I have to mow it :-)

Nice job on the photos and captions, makes for a great read! Can't wait to see/ read more!

• kitchenshock
    15 years ago

Your pool looks great. I love your layout and choice of material. You have to love a slow down in the building trades. When I built my current pool in 2005, it was 6 weeks to start and then 4months of waiting for subs to show up. I remember waiting 4wks for the deck guys to show up. I just had them come back this week to estimate an addition. They give me an estimate that afternoon and when I accepted I asked him how long before you can start. He says "Monday"! Good luck with your pool and keep the pictures coming.

• susannap2
    15 years ago

Your pool looks great! How exciting! We will be choosing our stone this weekend and also going with the Okloahoma, all the great pics I have seen here enforce that decision. I can't wait to see your finished product. What type of pool color are you going with? We agonized over tile vs. stone coping and finally decided we wanted ours more natural so went with the stone all the way. We just poured our gunite Tuesday but hoping for completion within 2 weeks. Be sure to update us with new pics of your pool!

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nothing much happened this week. They formed the deck and was going to pour on Thursday, but there was a chance of rain so they held off. Now they are going for Monday. Hopefully they can make it happen. There is a chance of rain Mon, Tue & Wed with most of the local weather people. The PB told me I should have water in the pool in the next 2 weeks. The nice part about it is the weather has been unseasonably cool. Here in Dallas we usually start running the air on a regular basis at the end of April. This morning it was in the 40s. Soooo I am sure there are people that had there pools finished a for awhile and are chompin to get in their pool.

syntagma...thanks for the compliment...we are very happy so far.

smbnobles...I have been following your build as well. I thought ours was moving fast. Yours is booking right along. I love the tree at the back of your pool. Glad you kept it.

tresw....the bobcat question. I was not home for the dig so I had the same question. My wife told me that they dug mostly with the bobcat from one end to the other. He created a ramp he kept going back and forth up and down. Then the last time he drove out they brought in the back hoe and finished of the deepend. If you look at the pictre after the bobcat picture you will see what I am talking about (maybe???) How are those chairs you bought working out?? Are they staying in place with the wind???

kitchenshock....I have been really happy with the speed of this build. It would drive me nuts if it was dragged out like several the stories I have read on this forum. Its one of the reasons we went twith this PB. We paid a little more, but we knew they have the people to keep the project moving. We have had friends who built pools and it took 3 to 4 months and I wouldn't be able to deal with that. i will post some more pictures when they pour the deck...hopefully this Monday.

susannap2...we had a tough time deciding on the coping too. we have friends that have flagstone and it does chew up the kids fingers, but hey the kid will have tough fingers. For the color we are going wit the PBs version of PebbleSheen. The call it RiverSand and we went with Carribean Blue. It is a tad lighter than the Tahoe Blue that almost everyone seems to get. Well I have written to much...gotta go.

• susannap2
    15 years ago

ibobi, glad to hear you are in the midst of progress! We are waiting for our gunite to cure this week, Monday all crews will be here until its finished, woo hoo!

Weather here in New Braunfels is just gorgeous, we are patiently passing time at the bike run in town and the Wine/Sangerfest today... lol!

The tile that you chose is just gorgeous though, it will certainly lend an elegant look to the pool. We are just staying with the "natural" look to blend with our yard and stained concrete patio as easily as possible.So impatient and ready to dive in!

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

susannap2....sounds like you will be in the water the same time as us if not sooner. We love New Braunfels. We spent a few days there last summer on our way to Padre. Went to Schlitterbahn one day and went down the Comal the next. The Guadalupe was closed because of all the rain, so there were no crowds at all. Wish us luck this week with the weather and the same to you.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hey Bob, what you described sounds right, they basically left an earthen ramp in place to get it in and out. I was just curious because we had a project for SBC once with a cable vault and they shaped it with a Bobcat, then hoisted the Bobcat out at the end with a crane!

We've been doing landscaping this weekend and I was shocked to wake up to 40's yesterday! Where the heck did Spring go? It sure warmed up nice though, it was a beautiful day. We ended up going swimming yesterday evening, but it was a bit chilly! My younger daughter and son swim nearly every day although the water hasn't been above 76 yet.

The chairs are working out fantastic! They have been rock solid- not moving an inch during the heaviest winds DFW can throw at them. Even that near-hurricane force storm we had a few weeks ago didn't budge them. Two thumbs up from me! I've since ordered a blue lounger and a white adirondack chair/ footstool from them. They said the delivery time is getting a bit longer because ordering is ramping up for spring (takes about 2 weeks now).

• lovingstuff
    15 years ago

Hi Ibobi

Congrats on your pool!! It looks very nice! We are almost finished and we live in North Texas too. The weather has been very cool. We got plaster yesterday and the pool filled up within 24 hours. Our pool is a diving pool so we thought that it would take a few days.

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We now have deck!!! They poured very very early Monday and it rained Monday afternoon and again this morning (Tuesday). They came back this afternoon and did some clean up. I will take pictures and post soon. We are thinking about delaying the plaster a week so the fence company can install the automatic gate across the back alley. Its nice now to finally be able to walk around the pool and not in the mud/dirt...woooohoooo!!!

• susannap2
    15 years ago

Woo hoo, what I wouldn't give to walk on a deck! They are supposed to lay our flagstone today, but we have a 50% chance of rain, goes to figure...

You should see the Guadalupe now, ibobi. You would have to pick up your tube and walk most of the way... We need rain, just please, not until our pool is done. They have a new ride at Schlitterbahn this year, supposed to be really exciting. Yep, we love New Braunfels, wish it would stay small but alas the economy is swallowing us up!

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are some pictures of our deck. We can now step out the back door...and the most important thing....the dog can now go out to the back yard or whats left of it. Yesterday the PB came and put the fence back up and did some sprinkler work. They are supposed to come back Monday and replace a couple 2x6 on the bottom of the fence that broke during the build and finish the sprinklers??? We also have our fence company showing up to build a automatic gate across the back of the driveway. It may look like a ant farm here on Monday. They may plaster this week if the weather cooperates.

Here are a couple pics of the deck area. We tried to get as much as possible. Our pool is approx 410 sq ft and the deck area is approx 425 sq ft.

Another angle.....this part of the fence will be taken down and the gate will be across the bottom of the driveway and it will open up the yard to the other neighbors fence.

At the last moment we told them to add a pad for our growing family of trash/recycle bins.

Since alot of you love to post pics of the dog....here is our girl Aussie Blue.

Here she has already picked her spot on the top step....

I hope to post progress later this week.Everyone have a good one and Happy Moms Day to all the Moms out there. I better get breakfast going!!!!

• momof3littleboys
    15 years ago

The pool and deck look great. Looks like you should be swimming soon. What is left to do?

Your dog is gorgeous. Do you think she will take a swim when the pool is filled with water?

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

Wow! It looks great, and from another dog owner with a torn up backyard, looking at your decking is making me so envious! It looks like ours may get started tomorrow, and I tell ya, it can't happen a moment too soon!

We have hardwood floors throughout our house, and an unexpected consequence of having dirt for a backyard, is that it's done a number on my floors. They look like they may need to be refinished after this is all said and done. I think the dogs and people walking on them, with even the tiniest bit of debris on their feet, has sandblasted them. :-(

We're doing an electric gate across our driveway too, but it's going to happen in about a year. I went ahead and got HOA approval though, so we can started whenever money grows back on the money tree. Right now it looks like giraffes have gotten to it.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Wow, that looks great Bob!! The masonry work is VERY nice, those guys knew what they were doing! The colors all look great together too. I love the raised deck area, will be a nice vantage point to admire the pool from. That's a good idea about tearing out that fence section, that will give you plenty of "overflow" space on the driveway to use for pool gatherings. What plaster are you going with?

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Day 45 of the pool build has passed. The PB came Monday and Tuesday and did the final plumbing for the deck drains and future down spouts. They also did the back fill around the pool. They also acid washed the deck, but not good enough for me, so they will come back and try again. Our fence company came and installed the iron work and motor for the gate. Hopefully we get our pool plastered tomorrow. We are getting the PBs version of mini pebble. Going with a slightly lighter version of the ever popular Tahoe Blue. Here are some pictures of the pool as far as you can go with no plaster and the gate.

picture after the final plumbing work and back fill

here are some pictures of the automatic gate across the back alley that is being installed. the fence going up the side of the driveway will be torn down once the gate and pool is finished.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Pool is looking great Bob, and it appears your back yard yardwork requirements will go down substantially :-) That's a BIG gate! Nice!

• smbnobles
    15 years ago

Make sure they don't plaster over that kid! ;-)

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have plaster!!! Tomorrow we will have water in the pool.

The plaster workers doing there trapeze act....

they are done....

here is a close up

the box o' leftover crap....

• tresw
    15 years ago

Looking very nice!! Bring on the H20! :-)

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are filling up as we speak....tomorrow we will be in the pool!! Looks like it should take about 14 hours and 14,000 gallons of water. They sold it as a 14,500 pool so maybe I can tell them they owe me a few bucks.

here is a close up of the aggregate deck and a umbrella sleeve.....

• susannap2
    15 years ago

Congratulations Ibobi! You have to post some new pics of "the swim"! Glad to hear all went well for you. Great looking kiddo and puppy too!
    That is quite a gate you have! I like the board on board look that you and tres referred to, wish we could but really trying to stay uniform with our neighbors fencing on top off trying to get everything together as fast as possible.

• momof3littleboys
    15 years ago

I am so excited for you. I am looking forward to seeing the pictures of it all filled up.

You are so lucky. We started the week before you and we are still weeks away from water. Post some pics of swim so we can live through you!

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finally have time to post some pictures of the finished product. Water has been in a week and finally getting the water chemistry close. Doesn't stop kids that water isn't quite right tho. Here is the first swim. The water was to cold for me....right around 75, but its not to cold for a 12 year old.

this was the 1st person to not just stick a toe in...caught it just perfect!!

the dog was tired from all the action

here is how it looks at 1 week old....

• susannap2
    15 years ago

Bob, looks gorgeous! The color looks great! So it took about a week to get the chemistry/color right? Everyone seems to have a different opinion about it..

It seems we have the cannonballs down, he must be loving the pool! What a cutie your son is!

• stonesmama
    15 years ago

What kind of interior is that? Pebble Tec? If so, what color. We are getting Blue Lagoon and I haven't seen any pictures. I thought that might be what you had.

• nikkineel
    15 years ago

stonesmama, we have blue lagoon. I've posted pics in an old thread.

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Susan...thanks. We were using the test strips and everything looked ok. I took my water into the PBs store and my ph was way low. They talked to the brushing dept and they told him they were doing a hard start to help cure the plaster. They came yesterday and added baking soda and some chlorine tabs and said everything was set to go. What this boils down to I need to order the dropped base kit.

stonesmama....The plaster we have is the PBs version of Pebble Fina. They call it River Sand Carribean Blue, which doesn't mean a thing because its their product. It is a little lighter than Tahoe Blue. If you look at the closeup pictre of mine right next to smbnobles (You're Getting a Pool in that Yard? Yep! Spring, TX Pool Build) you will see the difference. We were concerned about getting their version until we went to a house that they built with their version and then went to one that was built with true Pebble Tec.

• jmas65
    15 years ago

What a perfect pool for our yard. Enjoy it this summer - nice job!

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hey Bob, the pool looks great!! Glad to see ya'll are enjoying it already :-)

The low PH start is actually to slow the cure of the plaster, it keeps the plaster a little softer so you can brush the cream off easier. It's actually not as big a deal with pebble finishes because you don't have as much plaster exposure, but it doesn't hurt any. We have quartz and they had us keep the PH low for the first 2 weeks, then let it rise to normal on its own.

Make sure you get a test kit that tests CYA (or take a sample to the pool store and test it now and then). I was shocked at how fast our CYA climbed on trichlor tabs. We had to quit using the inline chlorinator at about the 2 month mark because our CYA had already reached 60 (the max recommended level). It was climbing 10 to 15 every 2 weeks!!

I bet your water has warmed up a lot this weekend, ours hit 85 today with this little "taste of summer" we're getting! The water sure feels great when the air is 95!

• kickymarcia
    15 years ago

Hi Bob. I have started research on pool builders in Dallas for next year. Which one did you use? I am south of you in Farmers Branch.

• tresw
    15 years ago

I can't remember who is doing Bob's pool, he mentioned it in another thread I think. But Hobert did ours and I highly recommend them as one of the PBs you should consider. They've been around since the 70's and have an excellent reputation in the DFW area. Below is a link to my build thread.

• p_pan
    15 years ago

Hi Bob,
    Beautiful pool. We really loved it. I see you also built with Riverbend Sandler. At least I see the same crew which did my excavation.

I noticed that you have a sliding gate as well. I was wondering if you live in Frisco. If so, did the inspector ask you anything about having an iron fence along the driveway to enclose the pool area? If not, do you have a battery operated backup power for the sliding gate? I am asking because here in Frisco, it seems that some inspectors require the fence when a sliding gate is present. Just checking.

Thanks.

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

tresw...thanks for the info on ph. I am gradually learning this chemistry stuff. For now I am using the cheap test kit from Home Depot that test FC, CC, pH, & TA. I plan on getting a better kit this weekend from the TrobleFree Pool site, Riverbend or Leslie's. I noticed on TroubleFree that they recommended the Leslie kit as well as their own. Thought I might check it out. My first purchase at Riverbend is 20% off so I need to look at theres as well. When you quit using your inline chlorinator what did you switch to????

kickymarcia.........I used Riverbend Sandler. I would highly recommend them. They came in ahead schedule and had very few problems. They are not the cheapest, but we just had the best feeling out of the 3 companies we received estimates from. We also had Gold Medal Pools and Platinum give us estimates. Gold Medal was about the same price and would do a SWG system as long as you use Tennessee Flagstone. We just didn't get a good feeling like we did from our Riverbend guy. Platinum was about 5k cheaper, but they basically do a sketch in paintbrush and hope you take it. When we told Gold Medal we went with Riverbend the guy harassed us for a week and wouldn't take no for an answer.
    I could go on for ever, but basically you need to talk to at least 3 PBs and get different ideas from each one. Don't hurry thru this.

P pan......Thanks for the compliment. I was very pleased with Riverbend. It is kind of stressful situation. I live in Carrollton and they inspected our fence yesterday. It received an ok. I was more nervous about the fence than the pool. When I first investigated this a year ago Carrollton said the same thing on there website as your telling me Frisco is saying. Then my neighbor built his and found a special ordinance written just for this situation. Basically we just need to have the gate close in 40 or so seconds after it opens and have a battery back-up and we don't need to have the auxillary fence up the side of the driveway. I remember reading a post earlier about this situation. Couldn't remember if this was you or not. I work for a electrical enginnering firm and I have heard stories that Frisco is challenging to work with (especially with all the growth you are experiencing). Let me know if you have any other questions. We love how it opens up our backyard. I have copied the ordinace from Carrollton for reference.......

City of Carrollton Code of Ordinances
    Chapter 150
    2003 International Residential Code
    Section: Appendix G, AG 105.2.8 Requirements
    Subject: Alternate Method of Construction for Barrier Requirements Around Swimming Pools
    Scope: This alternate method of construction shall apply in lieu of the requirements in AC 105.2.8
    04/26/06

General Provisions
    Currently, the city of Carrollton requires a barrier to run between a pool from the garage down along the driveway connecting to the rear barrier that runs parallel with the rear property line.

Alternate Method of Construction
    The alternate method of construction would permit an electric gate across the driveway. This would make the barrier complete in lieu of having the barrier running along the driveway from the garage to the barrier along the rear property line.

Along with the electric gate, the following stipulations are also required:
    - Have a battery backup with charger
    - Goes automatically to the closed position during a power failure
    - Does not open manually in the closed position
    - Closes within 45 seconds of opening

Justification
    Provides at least the same life safety protection, if not more than, Section AG 105.2.8. The Construction Advisory and Appeals Board approved Case 02-06 with the identical requirements.

• daisee86
    15 years ago

kickymarcia - I used Riverbend Sandler also. I am in Rowlett. I had very few problems (if any) and highly recommend them.

• ibobi
    Original Author
    15 years ago

daisee86....I just posted on another thread that you had not posted in awhile and most likely "had flown the coop". We would love to see some pics of your pool completed. Your posts along with some others helped me in my decision process....thanks.

• tresw
    15 years ago

Hey Bob, we switched to BBB (I'm sure you're familiar with it if you've been on the TFP site). Added bleach each morning and quickly accumulated a pile of empty bleach bottles. The biggest bottle at Walmart only lasts 2-1/2 days. We don't have recycling out here in the boonies and I'm not going to just throw 3 or 4 oil-based plastic jugs into the landfill each week! Today I talked to our PB and they will be installed an SWG on our pool next week. It'll hook straight into our SunTouch automation, so that should work out well.

So have you been swimming much? We just came in a while ago, water was 83 and air was 81. It felt warmer to stay in the pool!