Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glenn_pa

Chlorine vs baquacil

glenn-pa
16 years ago

I am looking for some thoughts on Chlorine vs baquacil use. We are installing a 16x32 inground pool, (in PA) We know that the baquacil is more expensive, which I dont mind if its easier, worth the money and provides long lasting results.

Comments (14)

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

It is more expensive, not as effective and when things are going good it's easier, but once you have a problem you could be in the hole $500 to get the pool back to normal.

Water mold is a huge problem, as with pink slime, which is a bacterial growth. If mold and bacteria can grow in your pool, what else is growing in it?

Chlorine is still the best system, and problems can typically be cheaply, and quickly resolved.

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

STEER CLEAR of baquacil.
    It'll be the best pool related decision you ever made.

just my .02

See ya,
    Kelly

• repair_guy
    16 years ago

Once used, can't convert back w/o a drain.

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

"Once used, can't convert back w/o a drain."'

You can convert it back, it takes a little bit of time to completely get rid of the biguanide, but it can be done.

• mykal2222000
    16 years ago

I have customers on biguanide systems (baquacil) nd they have had great luck. I do follow kellys line of thought and steer people away from it at all cost.Once there is a problem are a generally assured more and its not cheap to cure. We have experienced that pools that are larger than 18k gallons tend to have the problems and your pool is roughly 21k so ideally I would steer clear. Stick with chlorine based products.

• huskyridor
    16 years ago

I'm not knocking the product.
    It's just what I've seen from homeowners who let the pool get behind them and then don't want to pay the cost to get them back.
    It happens to many pool owners.
    Heck, one week ago today my pool was toasted with mustard algae. Due to me being really busy I'd let it get behind me and I'm in the game. This shows how quickly it can happen.

See ya,
    Kelly

• muddy_water
    16 years ago

I'm not a big fan of the baquacil products it seems that most customers have a problem after about 5 years and a complete drain is the only way to clear it up. Also it is very hard on the equipment in both pools and spas...IMO go with chlorine and don't look back....it also being territorial no other stores in a certain area can carry it puts customers in a position that they must buy it from the store that recommened it. nuff said,,,

• bf-tx
    16 years ago

I used baquacil in my spa years ago and hated it. The water taste and smell reminded me of old smelly socks.

• shrinkingstar
    15 years ago

Get a salt generator. Technically, it's a chlorine pool since the generator converts salt to chlorine, but it's a very inexpensive, easy solution. No chlorine smell, no red eyes and irritated skin, no faded clothes, no lugging home jug after jug of chlorine.

We go through only 5 to 6 bags of pool salt @ $9 each per year here in south central Florida. The water is silky smooth - everyone who gets in our pool comments on how nice the water feels. The salinity is less than that of tears, so no worries about it tasting like ocean water. It's the best money we spent on our pool installation.

• HU-592809269
    4 years ago

I used Baquacil in my first pool in the mid 80’s in SC. Never had a problem. now years later and many pools I have developed a bad reaction to chlorine including salt water generators. I have purchased Baquacil now 3 different steps and will start using when the pool water gets warmer. I live in central Fl

• three4rd47
    3 years ago

I just started a thread relative to this, since I'm considering converting back to chlorine from baqua. I, too, have some of the same questions Matt raised - that of being told modern use of chlorine has no side effects. I'm dumbfounded as to how this can be. IF we go back to chlorine, I'm seriously thinking of going to SWG. Currently using baquacil for the past 20+ years.

• three4rd47
    3 years ago

HU...so you are still using baquacil?

• HU-300952659
    9 months ago

I have used baquacil in my above ground pools since 1983 to present, reading the above problems some have had with baquacil are issues I have never experienced with it?? Chlorine does not do well in south Texas as I learned in 81, 82 and 1983. I have never tried converting to salt but I have been in some salt water pools but I prefer baquacil!