Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfb

Child Safety Layers

Lil B
10 years ago

We are talking with a couple of PBs. One of my major concerns about putting in a pool is for the safety of our 2 yr old DD. Back French Doors to water's edge would be about 23 feet. I would really like to install an automatic pool cover 1) for year-around safety 2) to help with leaves. (We live in an older neighborhood with mature trees in all our neighbors' yards.)

Am I wrong to think that an automatic pool cover would be a major layer of safety?

DH - thinks automatic pool cover is out of the question, primarily because of cost. I am tempted to nix all pool plans if having automatic pool cover is too cost prohibitive. I question why we are even thinking of this project if that is the case.

Can people help me think through our options for child safety? We have a nicely landscaped yard, and want a pool that is aesthetically pretty. I know we can put up a temporary child fence for a few years, but how ugly are those??

Safety Ideas that we can easily do:
1) PROPER SUPERVISION! Teach her the dangers

2) use current alarm system to arm door alarms.

3) install door flip locks.

4) She will be taking private swim lessons this summer.

Are these things alone enough?? Do we need a child fence all the way around? I know it depends on a lot of factors...but thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (6)

• clearviewpools
    10 years ago

An auto cover is the ultimate in child safety. They can even be locked in place. A little costly but look what you are protecting. The child safety fences are great as well, make sure you get one with a self closing and lockable gate. We install ones from Pool Guard.

• truxtc102
    10 years ago

Home4sale,
    I have three little kids myself so I totally understand your concerns! I'm sure gate, covers, pool alarm, door alarm are all great measures to protect our kids! For us, we chose not to put in a gate and covers due to some other reasons. However, we are putting our kids in swimming classes (my oldest (5 year old) can swim at 9 feet already!she learned within 4 weeks!) and the 4 and 2 year olds are in ISR water survival class. I say it's worth to look into ISR and give it a try if you could find an instructor in your area. They teach the kids how to rescue themselves in case they fall into water. Each day of the week they have the kids dress in different season like winter full on clothes and shoes, summer full on clothes, etc...and teach them pretty much how to react in real life situations! HIP...Please go to youtube and put in ISR swimming lessons to see exactly what I'm talking about.:)

• cnr1089
    10 years ago

We put a fence around our pool (with a self-closing lockable gate). We love looking at our pool, covering it all the time sort of kills that:-(

That being said, IMHO, teaching your kids about pool safety is not a problem. After one season of having a pool, they usually swim like fishes.

The problem is visitors or guests, who you CANNOT watch all the time. We have alarm chimes, but it is next to impossible to always be able to hear them at all times (what if you are outside working in the yard).

I say do the cover or gate the pool (with no access without going through the gate)...But, I am also a paranoid first time pool owner (going on 3 years now)....

• Fori
    10 years ago

Since you haven't installed the pool yet, you still have the opportunity to plan it to look good with a fence. I would do that. A good looking PERMANENT fence.

Door alarms are silly if you think your kid might ever want to go outside to play.

A cover is nice for things other than keeping kids safe, but a fence should be good enough for safety. On the other hand, if DH thinks that is too expensive, maybe he can't afford a pool at all. :P

• poolwebber
    10 years ago

I would not even consider a pool without an automatic cover. In my opinion, a pool without a cover is like a car without seatbelts.

• poolwebber
    10 years ago

I would not even consider a pool without an automatic cover. In my opinion, a pool without a cover is like a car without seatbelts.