Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jandy aquapure 1400

Posted by shootnpar (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 18:48

Hi,

How many times have you had to either replace the cell, or the sensor. I've had my pool for approximately 6 years and I'm replacing my cell for the 3rd time and my sensor for the 2nd. Is that normal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jandy aquapure 1400

If you use your system year round, yes, that seems pretty normal. With year round, cells last about years. Some get a little more by keeping the CYA level in the pool at about 80 ppm so they can keep the FC level at 4 and still run the cell at a slightly lower output level. The elevated CYA helps to hold the FC in the pool.

Scott

o

shootnpar...our Aquapure 1400 is on it's 5th season and the original cell. We run it year round at 30% here in Louisiana and vary pump run time from 1x turnover in the winter to 3x turnover in the summer...a constant 30% year round maintains adequate chlorine in our 35K gallon pool with these turnovers. The pool water is kept balanced year round.

Regarding the sensor, I was about to replace it this winter after getting an error code indicating sensor problems. Was surprised that the cheapest I could find a replacement was around $150...this is just a sensor with no moving parts...right?

So that started me thinking about the surface condition of the sensor. Tried the kitchen scrub pad as instructed in the owners manual...no luck. Then I remembered my experience sanding our fiberglass slide during installation a few years ago.

Long story short, I found the sandpaper and re-conditioned the surface of the sensor. Starting with 180 grit and working down to 800 grit. Final buffing was with the kitchen pad.

Before sanding, the 3 buttons on the sensor were pitted under a magnifying glass. After sanding, they were smooth and free of pits.

The sensor has been working OK for about 4 months now.

Hope this helps.

o

Replaced the cell and sensor (another 500 bucks gone), and everything is working again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here