Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmomoftwo_gw

Small pool in The Woodlands. Any suggestions?

txmomoftwo
14 years ago

What a fantastic site! I'm loving going through the archives here.

This is the equipment that we are considering. What do you all think? Anything you would change?

Small backyard with 10 ft easements so we are having to squeeze it in.

Freeform saltwater 14' x 32'

24' Raised Wall 18"

w/ 2 or 3 sheer descents(can't decide)

Depth: 3'- 6'

Perimeter: 81'

2 Skimmers

6 Returns

Bubblers on top step

1 swim out

Pentair Filter CNC Plus 420

Pentair WhisperFlo Pump 1.5 HP

Pentair IntelliChlor Easy Touch 4PE-IC40 Single Body

Pentair IntelliBrite 100ft 120V (2)

Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner & Booster Pump

Easy Touch Wireless Controller

24in Sheer Powerfall w 6in Clear Lip (2)

Comments (86)

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Got the packet in from the township on Saturday and wouldn't you know, it rained on Monday!! :( Rescheduled the dig for Friday and, please excuse me while I cry, it is going to rain again tomorrow and Saturday! So this is the second time that I've cried over the pool and we haven't even started digging yet. I just want to get started . . .

My husband was deployed to Iraq for 18 months...I don't need anymore lessons in patience. I want my pool in(water balanced & clear) by the time my family gets here on May 28th. We started the process in March and I thought that was PLENTY of time.

Other than delay, what are the possible issues if they dig, steel, & plumb and then it pours down rain the next day?

• lascatx
    14 years ago

Don't ask questions you don't really want to hear the answer too. Kind of tempting trouble to appear, you know? ;-)

Stop reading now if you don't really want to hear the rest.

When we first moved here, our neighbors to the side had started a pool build. We went under contract in October and they had begun when we moved in November. They had their pool-opening party in the summer -- not sure after 12 years if it was Memorial Day or July 4th. They had a number of issues, but it seemed from what we heard that most of them keyed off of the fact that a segment of the plumbing was left out and not discovered until after the pool was plastered -- which required tearing part of it out and reworking it. That took them off all the schedules that had been carefully planned and they had to stand in line to get the new plaster, the tile and some other things. Oh yeah -- there was also the fact that the pool builder wasn't paying his contractors and started having a hard time getting anyone to work for him -- he'd have to get money in on a new job to pay for work on the old ones. I'm sure that caught up with him somewhere

• goyom
    14 years ago

txmomoftwo don't fret to much. You want it done right, and delays are just what they are.

We started on our pool at the beginning of Feb. It took the township 3 weeks to send our packet too.

We now have gunite and the decking complete, but the advance deck cannot be applied until next week, long cure is needed on the concrete before applying I am told.

Then plaster after that, so maybe 2 more weeks total would be my guess. Hold tight, it will get done, just not as fast as we like, but the rain is the killer.

The biggest problem in the woodlands is the water table.
    We had so much rain this winter, the first time they came to dig our pool they sank the bobcat, and the bobcat that was sent to pull it out. The 3rd bobcat pulled them both out. We took a 3 week break after that to dry out!

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

EEEEeeeekkkk!!! Sinking Bobcat's! My husband was laughing hysterically after he heard the shriek from the office when I read about two sinking bobcats and another three week delay. We typically only drink while on vacation or for an occasional night out, but I need a pina colada after that one! Off to the liquor store I go . . .

• mudn
    14 years ago

Should be starting my build in northern California in a week or two. We'll have to contend with very tight access (about 5'6") and rock... lot's of rock. Sounds like I should also stock up on some beverages for us and the crews.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mud, things are looking up! Weather was perfect today and the digging begins tomorrow morning(I didn't even know they worked on Sundays). So excited!!!!!! Let the digging begin!

• goyom
    14 years ago

well? any pics??? any sunk bobcats??? =)

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great news!!! Dug on Sunday. Steel and plumbing today. Inspection 1st thing in the morning. Gunite after inspection tomorrow. Our cable line was slaughtered by the bobcat, but other than that, NO PROBLEMS! Thank you Lord! Our yard looks like somebody threw a mortar in it, but I see envision what it will look like in a few weeks so it doesnt bother me. :)

PLEASE look at these pics and tell me if there is something terribly wrong. They are not shooting gunite until noon tomorrow so IÂve got until then to catch any MAJOR issues and get them taken care of. We are without cable/internet/phone for a few days so I drove the laptop to starbucks just to upload these in case there is something major going on that IÂm not seeing.

We had a skimmer on the right side of the shallow end, but it went 7 inches into the easement so had to move it over to the other side. There is a loveseat on the deep end and we didn't want the 2nd skimmer right next to the loveseat so that is why they are both on the same side. I know it is not ideal to have both skimmers on the same side, but it was a last minute change due to our small yard/easement restrictions.

Before
    http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/001.jpg

My baby helping me put some snacks and drinks out for the guys.
    http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/002.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/004.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/010.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/005.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/006.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/008.jpg

http://i858.photobucket.com/albums/ab141/pinkbutterflyteacher/Pool%20Build/009.jpg

• mudn
    14 years ago

{{gwi:2031840}}
    {{gwi:2031841}}
    {{gwi:2031842}}
    {{gwi:2031843}}
    {{gwi:2031844}}
    {{gwi:2031845}}
    {{gwi:2031846}}
    {{gwi:2031847}}

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

They really should not have stacked the plumbing in the trench. It all should have been laid side by side. Maybe they should have made the trench wider. Do you know what size rebar they used? Are there going to be any lights in the pool. I am not seeing any light niches? Last question what size pipe did they use on this pool. Suction? and return? Okay one more Is there a check valve between the Intellichlor cell and the filter? Thanks for all the pics though keep them coming.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yay! We have cable/internet again! :D

Rebar: 1/2" bonding, 3/8" floor

Plumbing: He said they used 2" pipe all around the pool and 1 1/2" for the features. Looks like 2" to the skimmers, 2" for the drains, and 1 1/2 " for the returns/water features. I asked him why they didn't use 2" for everything and he said that the smaller pipe would create more pressure to the bubblers/sheer descent. Does that make sense? I have absolutely no knowledge of this stuff and my overly trusting nature tends to be one of my biggest downfalls when it comes to circumstances such as these. Here is another pic of the plumbing.
    {{gwi:2031848}}

I kinda FREAKED when I saw that they didn't leave any dirt for the loveseat/steps, but he said that they will shoot it all with gunite.

There are going to be two intellibrites. Are these the light niches? They are laying on the ground by the pool and we have no idea what they are.

{{gwi:2031849}}

Don't know the answer to the questions about the intellichlor. Here are more pics that might help:
    {{gwi:2031850}}
    {{gwi:2031851}}

Here is another view of the pool facing the house where the light niches might be??? The are going to be on that side facing away from the house.
    {{gwi:2031852}}

It rained a little last night, but the sun is out & everything is dry so I'm assuming the gunite guys will still be here at noon today. :)

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Irish,
    I am curious about the check valve question.
    I know they recommend it, but do you really believe that in the second it takes to shut down after the pump is off it will create enough chlorine to damage a filter?

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

YAY!!!!!! Gunite is in and it looks GREAT!!! :D I'll post pics tomorrow.

Now, how long do I have to wait before it's safe to put the tile and coping on? The T & C guys are available, but I want to make sure the gunite is ready. Is there a standard waiting period? How soon is too soon? I'm going to try to research this right now, but figured someone would have some input on this.

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

Now that I see the other side of the filter I would agree it would not be nessesary to have a check valve the distance between the filter and the chlorinator should be alright. But I still do not like the look of all the piping stacked on top of each other in the trenches the vibration from the pipes could cause problems for you in the future. As far as tile and coping. Everyone has a different perspective on this but I personally recommend waiting 3 to 4 days. And don't forget to water the gunite twice a day for at least the next 10 to 14 days. This will help with the curing process. everthing else looks good though.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the eye David! Just checked out your website and love it.

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

By the way on your pool. I do love the total pentair setup. You must have done your research here. Keep up the good work.

BTW. What type of plaster are you putting in?

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I did A LOT of research & stayed up until 1:00 a.m. some nights trying to figure all of this out.
    My hubby asked me to manage this project & I'm way in over my head, but we have just prayed that God would send us honest & hard working craftsmen.

How far in the future would you predict the vibrations causing problems with the plumbing? There is a 1-yr warranty & I'm really upset with the sloppy stacking job that they did. I've gone through hundreds of pool build pics and they ALL had their plumbing stacked side by side. I really hate feeling like I have been taken advantage of & that's how I feel about the plumbing. Those guys knew better than that & I'm thinking about asking my husband to call them back out to fix it. I would call myself, but I am very sensitive to the fact that men do not take very kindly to women telling them what to do(even if I am the one handing them the check).

Yesterday, as they were shooting the gunite, I was not too excited about the steps so we redesigned them on the spot. Cost a couple of hundred extra, but I LOVE them! Extended, reshaped, & added a loveseat to other side to center & even things out. I bought them all pizza last night. They worked really hard from 2 - 8 p.m. & were great!

{{gwi:2031853}}

I also changed the shape of the pool right before the dig. Moved the stakes & opened up one of the curves to make the deep end bigger. I FREAKED out after the dig wondering if I had lost my mind to change the shape without even drawing it to see how it would look, but now I LOVE the way that it turned out & am so happy about that last minute change!

{{gwi:2031854}}

Plaster: We want the Quartscape French Grey, but I am SO NERVOUS because I have the sample, but haven't seen any in person. I have a few people coming to measure & quote on plaster today. Any plaster co. recommendations? Please e-mail me if you do have any reputable plaster guys & don't want to broadcast/advertise for them. Pebble Tec is not in our budget. I have seen white & white with 3M blue, but I really wanted something darker.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

I would simply tie in some folded landscape cloth where fitting meet and to keep the pipes separated. There is not a lot of room to lay the pipe side by side. The landscape cloth will absorb any vibration and considering they pipes will be surrounded by soil, will be fine for the next 20-40 years or so.

Scott

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Scott! My husband did add in some landscape cloth to the pipes & gave a long explaination as to why he is not worried about the stacking, however he was annoyed that we paid a lot of $$$$ & they did a sloppy job.

Other than that minor glitch, everything else is going well. Electrician came today.

I'm VERY annoyed with the entire plaster situation! I call plaster companies & they tell me they don't LIKE to do diamond brite or quartscapes. I don't want white plaster & pebble tec is not in our budget & I surely don't want to use a company who doesn't "like" to install a product b/c it obviously means that they don't do it correctly or have had lots of past issues. I give up! I'm giving this one to the Lord b/c this whole plaster situation is driving me nuts. How can plaster companies who have been in business for over 20 years not be able to install quartscapes or diamond brite correctly? Or is it just that DB & QS are such terrible products that nobody wants to install them b/c they have so many problems with them?

Also, anyone know how much it costs to redo your sprinkler system around the perimeter of a small backyard 30'x 70'?

• fighting_irish
    14 years ago

Call Ed Johnson with Johnson's plastering he will get you taken care of with the DB. He has been plastering pool for nearly 40 years. I have used him before and does great work. 713-628-6409. If you don't like him. Try Everic plastering. or Azul plastering. I don't have the other 2 #'s right off hand but if you need them I can get them. All of them use DB and I think the Azul even used quartscapes. All three of these companies do quaility work.

Hope this helps.

David

• lascatx
    14 years ago

You can also call Steve at Acclaim Pools (281-362-1874). They do DB and do not sub it out. They built a friend's pool and the friend was thrilled with it. Their prices for replasetering are higher than others, but he's telling me they do more work and don't sub it out so you can be sure it's right. You shouldn't have all the same issues with a new build, so maybe the pricing won't be much different. His charges on the other elements are reasonable, so it may not turn out to be much different for us to use him -- we are still evaluating. He does seem to know his stuff and doesn't seem to be trying to shoot a lot of BS.

I am told Wise Pools uses Pool Works (713-466-3300) for their plastering. My pool equipment service guy recommended them. I have a bid from them and am evaluating it. They seemed to have quick availability -- they bid with Sunstone and Wet Edge, both of which I am told are less than Pebble Tec (although the Wet Edge must get close).

I don't have anything from Kelly -- he still hasn't called me and doesn't need to at this point.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks David! I left a message for Johnson's.

Lascatx: Thank you! The guy that I talked to at Pool Works was the godsend that I have been praying for! He answered all of my questions before I even asked them. SO
    knowledgeable & was able to actually give explainations! I feel SO MUCH BETTER after just talking to them.

Not too much action today. Watered gunite & passed trench inspection.

• goyom
    13 years ago

You are entering the quiet week or two for the gunite to cure.

Make sure you water 2x daily.

At this point check out the gunite closely, look for any gunite rebound that you will want removed by the plaster crew. That stuff is just so brittle you wont want it under your plaster.

Also when you PB inspects the gunite, make sure he/she measures to confirm the pool is at the proper depth per your contract. Make sure locations of all items are as per contract.

After coping and tile are installed, have PB confirm pool is level, so that your water line is level.

Good luck!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Glad I was able to offer something helpful. While I'd like to have some of the options you have with a new pool, part if me is glad I don't have so many things to learn about and to make decisions on. Good luck with finishing yours.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

After the inspector left last night, my husband and I decided to get busy. I kicked off my high heels, channeled my Louisiana roots, put on rubber boots & we recovered all of the trenches, tried to make the yard look somewhat level, took off all of the form boards, got rid of all of the trash & started extending the fence to cover the equipment. So we saved $350 for a clean-up. It only took us 2 1/2 hrs, but I haven't worked that hard in a long time!:) About 1/2 way through we were trying to decide if it would have been worth it to just pay for the clean up & came to the conclusion that doing it ourselves means that the queen palms that I want are now included in the budget. :D My husband is an engineer(which means excel spreadsheets for everything & budgets so tight that they squeek). He has a "plan" for everything so it's nice when we can alter the plan a little & get a few things extra.

Question: I know the deck guys are going to level everything under the deck before they pour it. My question is who levels out the rest of the yard? Does the final clean up usually include dirtwork? My hubby & I plan on buying sod & resoding ourselves, but we wanted the yard to be right before we do that.

goyom: Thanks for the tips! We are the PB. It's been really fun at times & really stressful at times.

lascatx: Thanks! You are right! I FINALLY decided on tile & the tile guys just brought me a sample & I LOVE IT! It's perfect! Only one more decision to go and we are DONE! WOOOHOOOO! As soon as I figure out the finish, MAJOR load off of my shoulders.

Off to research on this board how to seal flagstone. Anyone sealed theirs & very happy with the results?

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Congrats on the Queen Palms. All palms were half price at Houston Garden Center when we were last there.

• fighting_irish
    13 years ago

Your final clean up will not include any dirt work unbless you work out the deal ahead of time. You will mos likely have to do this yourself. Unless you have a crew come in to do your sod or landscaping but again you will have to get them to specify hat they will do all the dirt work.
    By they way it looks like it is coming along nicely for you.

Good luck,

David

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They did the tile & coping today/tonight. WOW!!!! I told them exactly what I wanted, showed them example pics, expressed multiple times about how important it was to me that they keep the mortar joints tight & it turned out better than I even envisioned. Those guys worked REALLY HARD! I never imagined that stonework was that laborious.

They will finish the tile on the steps & the flagstone face on the back of the raised wall tomorrow. Who knew these guys all worked on weekends?

Another crew is coming to form the decks on Monday & I may ask them to wait to pour for a few days. I'd like to let the gunite cure a little longer. Never imagined that I'd be contemplating postponing available workers after hearing horror stories of people going through months of pool building and not finishing until after the summer was over!

If I wanted to, I could have them do the decks on Monday/Tuesday & plaster on Wednesday & be completely finished in 10 days with a gunite cure time of 8 days. We have been very blessed thus far. Now, if I can only pick out a finish for the pool . . .

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Got a few pics while we were working out in the yard today.

Flagstone face on the raised wall, flagstone coping, & earthy looking waterline tile from mastertile.
    {{gwi:2031855}}

{{gwi:2031856}}

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Vent: PLEASE don't tell me that you are going to be here and then not show up! I find that so disrespectful and rude. I cancelled two business appointments to be here yesterday for the concrete guys & they didn't show up, but even worse, didn't even bother to call. Basically, that is them telling me that MY time is invaluable and picking up the phone to tell me they wouldn't be able to make it would have been too much of an inconvenience for you. It bothers me even more that I get the machine when I call to check in. I really don't get it. The one simple reason that people are late or don't show up for appointments is because they believe that their time is more precious than yours. Punctuality breeds credibility!

Love their portfolio, he's a really nice guy, & his secretary is super sweet too, however, don't slap me in the face by showing me through your actions how invaluable my time is to you. I have come to expect tardiness when dealing with subcontractors & if they arrive on time, I consider it a nice surprise. Simply not showing up, however, is unacceptable!

I'm sure there are other reputable concrete companies in our area that would be happy to receive our CASH upon completion and will show up when they say they will. Sorry for the vent, that is one of my biggest pet peeves.

On the bright side, our gunite is just having that much more cure time and our structure just keeps getting stronger and stronger. :) I have been watering it more frequently than 2 x a day & my husband teases that I take care of it like it's our 3rd child.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Sorry you had a no-show -- or maybe they will just be late. It seems like so many service/delivery calls involve trucks that break down, problems with the earlier appointment or some kind of issue. We had mulch delivered a while back and it was supposed to show up early in the morning. The big truck broke down and they were s busy scrambling plus handling people coming into the office on a weekend (you could tell when I called later to check) that they hadn't had a chance to call. We lost the whole day and were trying to get things done on a schedule and before my husband went in for surgery. It meant a lot to us, but not a whole lot either of us could do.

You are right -- you have to consider times estimates and not get stuck on punctuality, but late is a lot different than not showing at all. Which they still might do if they are stuck on the side of a freeway somewhere. Hope you find out what's going on soon.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lascatx: They were supposed to show up yesterday. I should have written that in my original vent above.

Now, I'm looking for other concrete contractors.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Well if they didn't show yesterday and didn't call first thing this morning and you hadn't paid them anything, I'd figure you may have gotten the better of that deal. If that reflects their work ethic, no telling what kind of a bullet you may have dodged. I would move on too.

Can't wait to see your pool finished. It will be soon. Hang in there.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My husband - my hero! Hubby is very VERY busy this week with OTC here in Houston & after he got home last night, we only had an hour to talk before he flew out to Oklahoma City. I spent most of the time debriefing on my concrete/pool drama and when he saw how upset I was, he told me to send him the spreadsheet with all of the info & #'s and he would handle it. I hate to bother him with pool stuff b/c he's an engineer by day and once a month, he's a commander of an Army Reserves Battalion(airborne ranger).

I slept better last night than I have since we submitted the paperwork to the township knowing that he was going to take care of it for me! Sure enough, there were not one but TWO contractors here before 10 a.m. this morning & we will have our deck poured & finished by Saturday. I love my husband! He's so much better at this stuff than I am. I'm too emotional for this!

I share all of this for those of you who are considering an owner/builder route. It is not "easy" and is a lot more stressful than I imagined it would be! In the beginning, I just trusted that the subs knew what they were doing & were just going to do it right based on principle. Learned quickly that you really HAVE TO WATCH them and tell them what you want, how you want it, and constantly check to make sure they are doing it that way! We have, however, been very blessed and it seems that all of the contractors have done very good work for us.

Plumbing, tile, decking all warrantied for 1 year, gunite & steel structural-lifetime warranty, and diamond brite plaster co. warranty for 1 year(materials & labor) - manufacturer warranty for 10 years(materials, not labor).

• paradigmdawg
    13 years ago

I would say there is no better way to scare the heck out of a concrete company then send out an Airborne Ranger!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

500 sq. ft. of exposed aggregate concrete deck with three sections of flagstone inlay. Getting close to the finish line. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE the deck!
    {{gwi:2031857}}

{{gwi:2031858}}
    {{gwi:2031859}}

Is it normal for there to be this much gravel in the pool after the decking is done?
    {{gwi:2031860}}

• goyom
    13 years ago

Yes that mess is normal for the deck guys, they don't care, they assume you have a PB doing clean up for you before plaster.

We had the same deck put in, and they guys that did it really messed up the drainage and level. Our PB came out and declared it not acceptable, and had them jack hammer it out. They gave us an upgrade to advance deck. So far so good.

So, since you are building this yourself, make sure you check your skimmers for conrete, deck guys will get some in those and not care, really think, they are gone so who cares?
    Well you do. If there is aggregate or concrete in there, get it out now. Trust me on this. I spent 3 hours cleaning mine, as I knew the day labor they would send out here would do a fair job at best, I had them immaculate.

As for the pool, sweep it up and clean it up. The plaster guys will only do so much, and if you have it nice and clean, they will spend more time knocking down the gunite rebound and making it just right. If they have to clean debris for 2 hours, they will be none to happy.

I would recommend you offer the plaster crew some cool drinks when they get started as well, its sad that you have to do this, but they will be doing the finish work on your pool, and you want it right. Also, make sure you are home the plaster is done, watch all of it.

Sadly I have had to ride the butt of every crew that has been here, I feel like the REAL job superintendent of my pool. I have been polite, but like you, I have been on top of it. Even more sadly everyone I have spoken with in the Woodlands with pools, roughly 12 of my neighbors. Say the PB's in this area well suck. They half ass everything, and sadly we have quite a few here who post, and well... hehehe and some of the comments have been directly applied to some of the very active members here, I wont mention names.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ugh sorry about your deck! I am the superintendent while my husband is gone and have turned into a psyco micromanaging crazy lady over the last two weeks. I am SO EXCITED that this is the last week! I'm loving the deck. It was so nice to relax while hubby was here for the deck install. Then, he took my daughter on a date and I had to take over again.

When picking up their stuff, one worker was taking off my screens and smearing in the excess concrete on the windows. Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, who wants to look out of smeared nasty windows when trying to enjoy the view of their new swimming pool???? I grabbed a bottle of windex and a roll of paper towels, put on my rubber boots, & went out there. I didn't even have to say a word, they took the screen right back off & windexed & windexed all six of them after that. I mean, you LITERALLY have to watch b/c it's so much easier to correct something as it is happening rather than have somebody go back & redo it later. I think that's the reason why I've been so happy with everyone's work(other than the plumber!!). I was watching the entire time and if they were doing something I didn't like, I would knock on the window or go out there and show them they way that I wanted it.

I went out there three times and talked to them about the skimmers. They cleaned out the skimmers perfectly with sponges & cleaned off all of my coping before they left. Unfortunatley, I didn't know whether or not it was normal for them to leave all of that gravel/mess in the pool or I would have made them clean that up as well. The plaster crew is coming to clean the pool tomorrow morning and said it will take 1/2 day so I figured they were expecting a big mess. Then they are coming back on Tuesday to install the Diamond Brite & said that will take 1/2 day as well.

Can't wait for this all to be finished!!!!! SO EXCITED to get my yard back & start swimming. :)

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Very productive day! The tile guys came back and did the flagstone inlays. Look A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!! If you want the name of these guys, please contact me. They are honest, hard working, and do GREAT work. That stonework is grueling!

Then, the plaster peeps cleaned out the EXTREMELY dirty pool. I didn't think it was possible, but they did it! You should see the stuff that came out of there.

{{gwi:2031861}}

{{gwi:2031862}}

{{gwi:2031863}}

Tomorrow we plaster and FILL!!!!! THANK YOU LORD!!!!!!! I'm excited and also scared to death! I'm praying that everything starts up right and we have a "nightmare free" pool build with a great-running, non-leaking, long-lasting, major problem free pool!

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WE DID IT! IT WORKS! We turned on all of the equipment last night just to check and it works!!!! I'm filtering the water, brushing, adding acid to keep it at 7.2, and LOVING looking outside and seeing a swimming pool instead of a construction site! WOOHHOOOO!!!

Here are some pics of the intellibrites. They are blurry b/c I didn't have my tripod out there and it was on a lightshow, so they were continuously changing. I'll get better pics soon. :) Thank you all for your help! We are SO EXCITED!!!!

{{gwi:2031864}}
    {{gwi:2031866}}
    {{gwi:2031868}}
    Our dog was snapping at the bubblers. He was so mad at them! We were dying laughing. He hates baths/water so apparently bubbling water is his mortal enemy. :)

• lascatx
    13 years ago

My lab loves to bite at the water from a hose, so she'd probably love those or any water feature she could get at from the edge or first step. She is a lab who doesn't swim, but our other dog does. Go figure.

Looking good. We will be acid washing and waiting until fall -- both for their schedule and so we can take the time to decide what we want to do with the "while we're at it list." LOL Didn't want to go there, but of course, we have to at least explore the options.

• phxownerbuilder
    13 years ago

Congrats, what a great feeling to finally see water! The pool looks great!

• paradigmdawg
    13 years ago

IT LOOKS GREAT!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

lascatx,

If you want the lab to swim, put a leash on her and lead her in. She'll figure it out very quickly. Teach her where the steps are from in the pool if needed.

Scott

• lascatx
    13 years ago

I don't care whether she swims, but my son would love it. He got scratched pretty good when he tried to carry her or toss her in (not sure what he was planning -- he's bigger than me and I was inside). She just stands there and barks at the other dog. She knows where the steps are-- she will get on the first step and cool off. She is ball crazy and you would think chasing a ball would do it, but nothing has so far. She loves treats, but that hasn't encouraged her either.

She is a product of Hurricane Rita -- her mom was out when fences blew down. She wasn't in the storm herself, but I wonder if her mom taught her a fear of deep water as a pup. She is very smart and doesn't have many fears. Maybe it's not a fear -- maybe she is just that stubborn. LOL

txmom -- seeing your lights is not going to help me. DH wanted to see about changing our lights when we replaster. We were talked out of it, but my son wants them too. Since we are going to put off the major work, we can decide later. The light in our spa is not working an we have t see whether it is the bulb or a fixture. It it is the fixture, at lest the replace decision will be made. Then it will just be with what?

Your pool is looking great. Looking forward to seeing some daytime photos too.

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More photos: The color of the water is very dynamic and changes constantly with the amount of shade/sun at many points during the day. We LOVE every shade that we have seen so far with our DB French Grey! I'm SO HAPPY with this choice. I have to say that we EXPECTED the finish not to be perfect like white plaster and for there to be some mottling so we are not disappointed at all. I've never seen pics of mottling, but if we have it, I'm sure it wouldn't bother me. We kind of like the marblized look so if that happens, it won't be a big deal to us. Here are more pics. Also, this is only day 6 so our chemicals are not all balanced yet. We have never seen a hint of green in our pool(not even during the fill) and are just in love with the beautiful blue water. So excited that it will only get more clear & beautiful as we balance it. Will start adding clorox tomorrow.

{{gwi:2031870}}
    {{gwi:2031872}}
    {{gwi:2031874}}
    {{gwi:2031876}}

• mudn
    13 years ago

Looks really nice! I like the tiles you have on the steps and how you spaced them out. Water color is great!

• txmomoftwo
    Original Author
    13 years ago

More pics of DB French Grey. Like I said, it's a dynamic thing, but we love all of the different shades of blue. Here are a few pics at 12:00 when the sun was shining directly on the pool.

The 2nd pic is of the main drain. Do you see it?

{{gwi:2031877}}

{{gwi:2031878}}

And then the clouds opened up even more and the color changed again. These three pictures were all taken within two minutes of one another and you can see how the clouds/shade/angle of the shot/ affect the color. LOL

{{gwi:2031879}}

• brentr_gw
    13 years ago

Congrats, your pool looks great. I know that you are excited but the work has just begun. We just added some more landscaping and plants but who cares as it is 9mths since our pool build. Sit back at nite and relax with the night show as we do.........

• firstpoolforme
    13 years ago

txmomoftwo,

Love your pool!

We are looking to build a small pool in the Sugar Land area. We donât have a huge backyard and we want to keep space for the trampoline of course :-)
    We are thinking 28 long, with widest part being around 16 and the narrowest â» pool entrance â» being around 10.
    But I am getting paranoid about how many people will be able to swim there without bumping with each other. Have you found your pool big enough for you and your family/friends?

Thanks