Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
careers4u

Building a pool in Massachusetts -- again?!

careers4u
10 years ago

We used this forum and its vast knowledge and resources in 2007 when we built a gunite pool/spa at our old house. Now, having moved, we are getting the itch for a pool and trying to decide if we want to take the plunge (pun intended) once again.

Last time we used South Shore Gunite, a large, reputable company that delivered, for the most part, a good, solid product. However, communication was lacking, and when we decided to do our pool deck outside of their company versus staying in-house, they gave us some trouble. They just didn't have the pattern of concrete we wanted at the time. I understand the quality control issue, so I don't fault anyone. It was just more stressful all around.

So, we are looking again. We think we will stay with gunite, though a local company does excellent work with vinyl/permacrete. (Two labs make us think this is just a bad idea all around so I am reading up on it.) Two of the companies we are looking at are small and sub out most of the work. We will do the standard checks, but wondered how people who have worked with the smaller companies have found the relationship with the subs and the builder. I don't want a lot of finger pointing as I experienced that last time when I didn't stay in house.

A lot has changed in seven years, but prices aren't that far off with the one quote we have received. Decking seems higher, but equipment isn't that much more. Any advice from the Massachusetts crew who have built in the last few years would be much appreciated, as well as any other thoughts. Thanks and looking forward to reading and joining the discussion once again.

Comments (4)