Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eyoung_gw

in floor cleaning not doing job. Low pressure?

eyoung
15 years ago

I have a paramount infloor cleaning system on a brand new pool. It is not moving the dirt around well at all. It is more than dead spots. I have a strip a foot wide and 6 feet long where dirt settles in the middle of the pool. My pool guy just came out and looked at it. He cleaned the filters and ran some tests, etc and said it should be better now. It is not. What concerns me is that the pressure is about 12 to 13 psi on any given station. Shouldn't this be closer to 20? Anything I can trouble shoot myself?

Comments (13)

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

How many zones and how many heads per zone?

Scott

• mas985
    15 years ago

12 PSI would seem a little low for a floor cleaning system. So it could be one of several things:

Too many heads per zone for the pump size

OR

High suction side head loss (look for restriction)

OR

Pump impeller is clogged

Besides zone information, please describe your system and give some background.

Is system new or old?
    Has it ever worked properly and have higher pressure?
    Pump model #, HP & service factor?
    Pipe diameter in suction and return?
    Approximate length of runs from pool to pad?

• mas985
    15 years ago

Sorry, I missed the new part. Should of read closer.

But if it never worked well then it probably like you said either a bad design or valves settings aren't right.

• eyoung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How do I know if the pool returns are on? I will have to get back to you on the pump stuff. A single pump does run the skimmers, cleaner etc.. The distance to the pad is short. 20ft or so. Paramount designed and sent the plans and the pool builder followed them. He had the paramount rep on the phone who might come look at it as well.

• eyoung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

3 heads per zone.

• eyoung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Is system new or old? BRAND NEW
    Has it ever worked properly and have higher pressure? NO
    Pump model #, HP & service factor? PENTAIR CHALLENGER 2HP
    Pipe diameter in suction and return? 2" PIPE
    Approximate length of runs from pool to pad? I'm fairly sure he checked the nozzle size but I can take a look. It is a single pump system. I have a separate 1hp pump to run some water features.

It is all controlled by a Jandy Aqualink controller. My pool builder is highly regarded and has installed many floor systems in the past.

• eyoung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for all of the replies.

I wanted to clarify that the pressure on the gauge at the floor cleaner is ~10. The pressure at the filter is ~25.

• mikethepoolguy
    15 years ago

I assume this is a one pump system. In that case some of the water is not going to the turbohead (6-way valve) or else the pressures would be the same. Can you add a photo of pool and equip.?

• mas985
    15 years ago

I would agree with Mike that some of the water is being bypassed.

To see if some of the water is going to the returns, just put your hand in front of one with the cleaner on.

BTW, do you also have a spa? Does the spa spillover when the cleaner is running? This could also be a form of bypass.

• eyoung
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate both of you helping.
    Mike, it is a single pump system. I will post pics some time before noon central time tomorrow.
    mas, I do have a spa, but the spillover does not run when the cleaner is running unless the heads specifically in the spa are on.

Another thing. I borrowed my neighbors vacuum hose and put the hose in a skimmer. I could not draw enough pressure through the hose to make it work. I turned off the leaf canister which is tied to the main drain and the 2nd skimmer and could still not get enough pull.

Do you normally hear the water flowing through the turbohead? I can actually hear it flowing. Would this mean air? Just throwing stuff out there.

• poolguynj
    15 years ago

Any air in the pump when you did that?
    and 25 lbs in the filter seems high. When was it last cleaned?

Scott

• ronbo
    15 years ago

I have a similar system, many years older though. I had a single cartridge filter and the pressure when it got to 25psi would cause the popups to not perform, very little water flow. (My pool drain is about 90 feet from the pump, wonderful). I bought a new 4 cartridge filter, re-plumbed it, got rid of 3 90degree elbows and added 1 45degree. The filter is running at 17-18psi and the popups are working GREAT.
    Lowering the psi in the filter, just a little, makes a huge difference. Make sure cartridge is clean or replace if necessary. Getting the psi to 20 would make a big diff.

Ron