Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tesmith_gw

any diy installs?

tesmith
11 years ago

Over the years my father and I have done 3 DIY Pools. for our own use.

The first was in the late 60's hand dug cement pool.
I was young and not a whole lot of help, it was mostly built by dad and his best friend that was not smart enough to know better. This was literally hand dug, shovels picks and a power wheelbarrow!

In the 70's and early 80's we did two vinyl lined sand bottom pools. Subbed the digging,With beer and burgers and a promise of a swim we got extra hands when needed (Helping spread the liner etc.)

We are thinking about doing it once again. I have visited many other forums on this site, noticed the pool forum and have read many posts. It seems the great majority here have their pools installed for them.

Have any of you done your own installs?
who did you purchase your "kit " from? Any suggestions for decent suppliers?

Planning a simple 20 x 40 rectangle, steel wall, sand bottom I am reading about pb111J. (To possibly treat the sand) After the pool is installed, I am going to add to it my own design solar heating system as well as heating ducted into an out door fireplace we are building.. All one step at a time. I am still debating old fashioned chlorination vs salt chlorination. And Sand vs DE Filtration (Always was sand in years past)

It is not in my budget to have the installation done for us. The economy has been rough on my business. How ever we are very well rounded in our skills and of course have done several other pools in years past.

So mostly I am looking for suggestions for suppliers.
Would welcome any other comments!

We are Located in South Central Pa about 1 hour north from Baltimore Md.

Comment (1)