Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Calcium hardness

Posted by dag63 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 17:30

We have a 10 year old salt water pool. We've had lots of leaves and seeds pods get into the pool this spring, from the above normal temps I assume. Anyway, I had the water tested at Leslie's. It needed most of the usual stuff - salt and conditioner. The Leslie's tester also said that it was low on calcium hardness and needed Hardness Plus. Never before in the 10 years did we have to add that. Does this seem legit? Just wanted to check before I dump a whole lot of the stuff in my pool. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Calcium hardness

Need it if you have a gunite pool and some fiberglass shells.

Not needed if you have a liner pool.

The calcium in the water acts as a bias. It helps to prevent calcium from being drawn out of the plaster's cement if the pH is correct. Google Calcium Saturation Index.

Scott

o

Thanks, poolguynj. I have a gunite pool. It just seems odd that we never had a calcium hardness problem before in 10 years.

o

Plug the values of your test into the pool calculator to get the CSI value at the bottom. Target a value of 0.3 to -0.3 to keep from scaling or etching.

Scott

Here is a link that might be useful: The Pool Calculator

o

I'm not with ya Scott on the Liner pool needing calcium. I have seen what it will do too the liner and the white goods and internals of a filter. If its not present it's going to take the calcium from somewhere and plastic goods are are going to supply it..

J.M.O. I'm not trying to open a debate
Rusty

o

PVC has no calcium. Some gel coats and all cement pool do. Vinyl liners don't have it either.

I agree that water is, by and large, the Universal Solvent. It is a pools toughest opponent. Next is the Sun.

Scott

o

I told ya no debate lol....But to me its cheap insurance based on you really only add it once a season and its cheaper than a set of ladder treads. Calcium is used as a binder or a filler as a cost reduction in a lot of plastics.

No more posts on this subject from me....

Your friend

Rusty

o

Ditto.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here