Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Our contract calls out 2 main drains but I only see one

Posted by banana_fanna (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 17:14

in the deep end.

If they only installed one, what potential problems will that cause? How much extra did I pay for that extra main drain that I don't see?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Our contract calls out 2 main drains but I only see one

What stage are you in?

If you see one pipe and are pregunite, worry not, they will T it off.
Where I live 2 drains is code, it wasnt a matter of paying for it.

o

banana fanna,
Don't know any reputable PB's using single suction lines.
Perhaps he put the tee in the wall somewhere? Wouldn't hurt to ask him.
Cost to install is minimal. Maybe $25 including the drain cover. Minimum distance between split drains is 3 feet(FWIW).

o

Some builders put one of the drains in the side wall of the pool. I don't. If you don't have two main drains, you need two to minimize the strength of the suction from having just one. No reputable builder I know of uses only one...particularly after the Virginia Graeme Baker Pool Safety Act was enacted to prevent suction injuries and death. Your main drain covers should have anti-vortex approved under the new laws.

o

Welcome home womanowned. Missed you.

Scott

o

Thanks Scott!

o

Our build has been stalled due to continuous rain. Looks like tomorrow they'll be here to start plumbing. We have gunite and that's all so far.

When I told him I can only see one main drain (through 6 feet of murky rainwater), he assured me there are two. And if there aren't, he said, the pool's free! LOL Can you imagine?

He's confident so I'm goin' with that.

Thanks all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here