Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Travertine Pavers, how to set in northeast

Posted by nypoolnovice (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 20, 11 at 16:59

Well, 2,300 SF of 24"x24" travertine pavers just arrived in crates in the driveway. It seemed like a great idea on paper. Now, maybe not so much.

Anyway. We're in NY. I was planning to set these on 6" of well graded compacted crushed subbase (known as "Item 4" around these parts), and an inch of stone dust. But, the pavers have a sawn edge, and we want to install them tight together with no gap. That will match the coping and we like the look.

Anyone have any experience with this type of material in the Northeast? I don't want to be resetting it after a couple of freeze-thaw cycles. Specifically, it wont take much movement of a 24x24 paver to make the joints look and feel sloppy.

Thanks

John

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Travertine Pavers, how to set in northeast

Use a deeper base, frost line depth is best. As I recall, you are on Long Island. 12" compacted in 4" lifts. Add stone dust in a 26" width to set the 1st row, then 24" widths for each successive row. Your dry laid travertine will look great. Hire a couple buddies, feed them well and save the beer for later or less will get done, the job will take longer and the food and beverage bill will go up.

Scott

o
RE: Travertine Pavers, how to set in northeast

You should not be concerned or worried. Follow the installation advice at this link: travertine paver installation

Here is a link that might be useful: travertine pavers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here