Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agk2003

Cracked Cambridge Pavers

agk2003
10 years ago

Hi, I am cross posting in a few places because I'm not sure where this question is most appropriate. We installed Cambridge pavers in our driveway and walkway on the side of the house couple of years ago. We are still doing work on the house and are not yet moved in. However, when we last visited the site, the condition of the pavers was terrible- looks like there are some type of surface cracks- see my pictures below. The Cambridge rep has stated that it is an install issue but I can't see how that could be right. We have these light gray pavers installed and darker onyx on the perimeter and there is nothing wrong with the darker ones, only the light gray. If it was an install issue, shouldn't at least one, two or a few of the darker pavers also have been affected? I'm not sure if Cambridge intends to respond to me further. Does anyone know how this happened or how it can be corrected? My father is suggesting we put a sealer on but I don't know if this will highlight the cracks. These are supposed to have a lifetime guarantee.

Comments (12)

• gardengirl5571
    9 years ago

Hi
    We just opened our pool that we have had for 4 years and approximately 30 of our cambridge bullnose pavers have these cracks too! I was shocked and am truly disappointed!! Can anyone explain this?!?
    AGK, have you found any information on this since you have the same issue?

• User
    8 years ago

Cambridge pavers have what we call a face mix design which is basically a really course concrete mix throughout 90% of the block (from bottom to top). The top 10% is a very fine concrete mix which allows for a very smooth surface. The "ArmorTech" technology they claim to have is basically what I just described and is very common in the industry across the globe. They like to make the consumer believe they are the only manufacturer who uses this manufacturing process.

I believe what you are experiencing with these pavers is due to the face mix design that Cambridge uses to produce its pavers. When manufacturing with face mix there is very little room for error. The base mix (bottom 90%) must have the exact same moisture content as the face mix (top 10%) or you risk delamination (top of paver peels away from bottom of paver). Other risks are substantial cracking as you can see in the pictures or losing chunks of concrete on the surface of the block.

Don't get me wrong, facemix pavers can be good quality products if produced right just like basemix pavers are (through & through no bottom 90% or top 10%). They each have their advantages and disadvantages but at the end of the day, you can screw them both up if your machine operators are sleeping at the wheel and if your quality control measures are not up to par.

P.S There is nothing you can do to help your situation. These pavers need to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

• agk2003
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Cambridge did zero for us. They sent out a guy to inspect and basically told us it was an install issue. That is bologney because as mentioned we had dark gray ones that nothing happened to using the same install method. Also we had extra pavers left over on a pallet that sat out through the winter and the same thing happened to the ones on top of the pallet. Cambridge told me they would try to get me a deal if I wanted to purchase new pavers from them but they never responded to any of my follow up emails or calls. Their customer service and guarantee is a joke.
  • User
    8 years ago

Look into Techo-Bloc for your next project. Best customer service, product quality, product selection, warranty in the industry.

• User
    8 years ago

joepepps, Techno-Bloc isn't available in Texas. Do you recommend anything that is?

agk and gardeng, have you tried posting on their social media pages?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

Have you considered taking them to small claims? Take pictures showing the ones that weren't installed either.

• webehappy
    6 years ago

Same problem! Opened the pool and found all our bullnose, probably 200, were cracked. We Had a rep from Cambridge come out twice and they said it was due to the "freeze thaw cycle" in the Northeast. Really!!?? Maybe they shouldn't sell it in New York then. It's a bunch of nonsense. They just refuse to back their product. We we Opened the pool this year, 2017, and they went from being cracked to some now crumbling apart! I would NEVER install Cambridge pavers again and would NOT recommend using them! BEWARE!!!!

• 5birdy
    6 years ago

Oh how awful! I feel so bad for you. What an expensive nightmare to fix, and how could any PB recommend this product?

• Geo Lee
    2 years ago

Good luck with get any warranty on stuff. It never

• Geo Lee
    2 years ago

It's a quality issue and not installation, crack happens when the manufacturing process add too much water or drys it too quick. Another disgusting business.

• KJMR 320
    2 years ago

What ever happened with this? We have the same problem a year after install. Curious if you found a resolution

• agk2003
    Original Author
    2 years ago

hi there we never got a resolution. cambridge rep ghosted us when trying to follow up. as in he never responded to our inquiries again. i would NEVER pay top dollar for their junk again. i've had friends use lowes/home depot inexpensive pavers with no issue.