Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool remodel - too narrow?

Posted by rockybird (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:16

I dont know why I am stuck on the fact that this pool might be too narrow. Plus I am not sure that I like the concrete pieces that are jutting into the pool.

The pool was just put in a yr. ago and designed by an architect who wanted it much more narrow. He had also designed the concrete coping to jut even more into the pool, which we shortened. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of plaster mottling, even after an acid wash. I asked the pool ctr. how much to add 4 ft. in width (expand towards the house) and he gave me a very good price for this. I think the price reflects the fact that the plaster is so extensively mottled, which you cant appreciate in the pics. The price would also include replastering the whole pool and expanding the in floor cleaning system.

The pool is 13.5" x 60' currently. When you are in it, you almost feel like the walls are closing in on you. I am not sure if this is because of the raised deck or the narrowness. But I feel claustophobic in it.

It would be extended to the stick in the dirt flower bed in the second pic. Would probably bring the step in portion in towards the house. Am I over-worrying about this? It seems like it would be more functional - both a lap pool and a play pool. Would 17.5 feet wide work for volleyball, etc? Pool is 5 ft. deep.

House is in the process of a protracted remodel, so please excuse the roughness of it. I will be adding a master addition to look over the pool on one side of the house and thought this might be the time to widen the pool. Also, I am holding off on landscaping until I decide on pool.

photo 1366567556_zpsa09fe7d0.jpg

photo 1366567562_zps9424b328.jpg

photo 1366567575_zps9992696c.jpg

This post was edited by rockybird on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 15:33

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool remodel - too narrow?

I love how it looks.

o

I think it looks great.

o

Wow that is pretty!

o

Beautiful pool that looks great as is... But, I would widen it if you could get a good price and not have to worry about future integrity problems. I think I would be a bit claustrophobic as well as is. An extra 4 feet would make a huge difference. I'd try another foot (5 feet) if it doesn't interfere with your posts. You could also expand only half the space and make it L shaped too.

How about rain run off from the roof if you expand it looks like it may drain right into the pool?

A standard Volleyball net is 9 meters (29'6") but 17.5 feet would be a good size to have 3 or 4 people on the net.

o

Personally, I wouldn't do it. That is one damn sexy pool, as is.

If your lifestyle warrants having a lot of people in the pool, sports, rough housing...then yes, you'd probably want to enlarge it.

But if you use it just to get wet, or admire, or to swim laps in...I think it's absolutely perfect. But you're the one feeling claustrophobic. It might be cheaper to hire a therapist to figure that out than to expand the pool. ;-)

Seriously tho, it's stunning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here