Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gfci and pool light question for pb's

Posted by thejimbar (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 14:58

Opened our pool today. All is well except the pool and spa lights do not come on. All the breakers in the pool electrical box are good, but it appears the GFCI that is on the side of the electric box maybe be bad. It will not reset and it looks like maybe water got inside it over the winter. There is rust on the lower outlet. It looks like the lights are connected to this circuit. If it was a fault, wouldn't the GFCI reset and then click off again? The reset button will not click in.....any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gfci and pool light question for pb's

Replace the outlet.

Scott

o

That's what I figured, but wanted to hear it from you, thanks. Going to pull it out tomorrow and take it to the electrical supply store to get a quality one. Going to stay away from Lowes or the Depot. Am I correct that the lights are tied into this circuit? I see the line heading to what appears to be the conduit that heads to the pool.

o

AFAIK there are no better quality ones available.

Electrical houses these days sell the same quality crap, just for more money.

o

That's what I found out this morning. Ended up with the same Cooper Electric one that was no good. Replaced it today and all is well. Lights now work fine.
Thanks Scott.

o

You might want to check the box it's housed in.

Scott

o

Did, thanks Scott. I've got the foam seal tight and I also caulked around the edges. The reason it got wet over the winter was a contractor at my house doing HVAC work for me used the outlets and left the cover open.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here