Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjran

plaster question and picture mottling

mjran
16 years ago

We finally have water! Will post pictures soon of completed pool. We are happy w/the final outcome....although do have some concerns about the plaster.

Went w/med grey. I realized that there is mottling w/colored plaster, however, concerned that this is more extensive than the norm. Pool filled Wed/Thurs. Pool co. came by Fri and added muratic acid which cleared up most

of white dust. We've been brushing since Fri 3x day

as instructed, but there is a white streaky film on sides that does not come off. Have call in to pool co and plasater co to come take a look at. The pool co. rep that starts up pool said he usually adds chemical as filling, but was out of town. So he added the next day. Wondering

if the white plaster dust sat too long on sides of pool and that's the reason for streaks.

Have posted link below to picture. Can anyone w/med grey plaster tell me if this is the norm?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: plaster

Comments (6)

• tresw
    16 years ago

Congrats, getting water is certainly a landmark moment!!

The muriatic acid doesn't clear up the plaster dust, it is to keep the PH down during startup. Fresh plaster tends to drive the PH up and you have to add acid now and then to get it back down again. Hopefully they mentioned to you to clean your filters every 3 or 4 days for the first couple of weeks, that plaster dust really clogs up the filters. I can't tell much from your picture, but if you have white residue then the PH may have gotten too high before the brushing removed the cream from the surface. If that is the case, you may want to lower your PH (below normal) and brush some more until it goes away. You might ask the plaster guy about this when you talk to him.

Below is a link to a closeup of our pool with medium grey plaster (it's actually a picture of the mosaics, but the only one I have that kind of shows the mottling). Beyond the bench you can see some of the natural mottling, hopefully this will give you an idea of normal mottling versus problem areas. Personally I find the mottling in colored plaster to be very attractive! It's something of a marbling effect.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hornfan
    16 years ago

I am having the same issues with my pool - we are doing a remodel with a med gray plaster. You can see my post and pics on 4/8 - "Did Pool Company get gray plaster job right?"

The first picture is right after they did the plaster and were filling the pool. The subsequent pictures are 5 days after the pool was filled and acid was added. Still very splotchy and streaky.

We were concerned and called the PC,who advised me the cream is normal and would go away within 2 weeks with regular brushing. I am very nervous, though, as I've seen so many posts with the same concern and my spots don't seem to be going away..... [today is day 8]

Tresw added a nice pic of their pool, and I'm hoping others will add pics as well so we can have some comparisons.

• Rack Etear
    16 years ago

"We were concerned and called the PC,who advised me the cream is normal and would go away within 2 weeks with regular brushing. I am very nervous, though, as I've seen so many posts with the same concern and my spots don't seem to be going away....."

They wont go away after two weeks, it's wishful thinking on their part.

• tresw
    16 years ago

Quote: "We were concerned and called the PC,who advised me the cream is normal and would go away within 2 weeks with regular brushing. I am very nervous, though, as I've seen so many posts with the same concern and my spots don't seem to be going away..... [today is day 8]"

I think your concerns are valid. What I noticed when we were doing our pool is most of the white cream residue was gone after the first couple of days. There were a couple of small spots that I missed and didn't realize it (there's a bench in the grotto and the brush wasn't getting into the back crevice where the seat transitions to the wall). I noticed it about the 3rd day when the pump was off and by then it could not be removed by brushing. I have heard that lowering PH (as I mentioned above) will soften the plaster and make it easier to brush. Another thing to try is they make a brush that is half nylon and half wire, it should clean off that residue better than a regular brush.

• mjran
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your responses.

I called plaster company as not sure what to expect as norm. They had me call the pc to have them schedule site visit by plaster company. This was yesterday. Hoping to hear today as I'm concerned that it will become more difficult to correct. PC rep had recommended wire algea brush, however, pool supply store thought that was a bad idea on new plaster as did plaster co. Maybe the combination brush as mentioned by tresw is the trick.

Right now sitting tight w/reg brushing until plaster company comes to take a look. Will keep you posted.

• mikegreen_2008
    15 years ago

I also have med grey plaster done last year. This summer i have white etch marks and mottling everywhere esp on the steps and spa. The walls look like a white film and steps are blotches of white. I lowered the PH and brushed and also tried Jacks Magic Blue stuff for 3 weeks and no change. Its getting worse. Plaster co. says its the water..water test show water is perfect? Any ideas??Help