Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Precast Coping Installation Question

Posted by momoxan (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 5, 11 at 13:55

Hi there- we are remodeling/resizing our pool - from 20x42 feet to 20x30 feet with a 9x9 spa. We chose precast concrete coping (a simple bullnose) with poured concrete decking.
Now that the coping has been installed, I'm not 100% happy with how the cuts were done. My contractor insists it's better to have the cut pieces in the center of the run. There are two cut pieces in the center of each side - the full pieces are 24", and the cut pieces are approx.15". I would have thought they should go at the ends, but I seem to be the only one who notices the cut pieces anyway. I would appreciate some feedback. THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Precast Coping Installation Question

Please post a picture or two.

Photobucket album. copy the 3rd of 4 code options, one per line. White space between the pix is useful for notes.

Scott

o

Thanks -finally got these uploaded. Again the question is if these cuts are better in the center or the run, or if they should be at the ends.

Here's the entrance to pool - baja step:

Photobucket

Here's two sides:

Pool Coping 2

Pool Coping 3

o

Seems wrong looking to me too. I thought the shorts were on a curve, not on a straight. I could see having a short on a corner or just before, but not in the middle. That loses a sense of consistency.

I could see it if there was a planned pattern that was described and approved ahead of time. Alas, if you gave the pb the leeway to make that decision, changing that would be on your nickel. It's not like it's poorly done, just different from what I presume your assumption was.

Scott

o

momoxan,
Every stone mason uses a little different technique to start.
I don't often see overlapping corners. Usually, each corner is cut at a 45% angle. Then the decision becomes where to place the short stone. Some will work to the center and some will run stone continuosly around the pool letting the cuts fall at their natural location.
These items probably should have been discussed, but in its entirety, it really is a minor point when the project is complete.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here