Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stumped - Replacement Mechanical Seal for Jandy MHP Pump

Posted by paradigm79 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 11 at 13:52

My mechanical seal failed recently and I replaced it with identical parts. However when I thread the impeller back on the motor shaft, I run out of threads before the seal becomes preloaded by the seal spring. I've triple check that the seal is the same dimensions as the original. It appears the spring cup needs to be shimmed out a little. The original was not shimmed but it did have a very large bead of RTV around the perimeter and possibly under the lip that may have acted as a shim. Is this common? What shim thickness is required to preload the seal without overloading it? Any other ideas? (I verified its not working by putting it all back together correctly and opening the inlet valve...water poured out the pump backing plate.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stumped - Replacement Mechanical Seal for Jandy MHP Pump

Sounds like dirt on the shaft's threads or on the impeller's threads or you got the wrong seal set. They should not need shimming. A little RTV on the seal plate side isn't required normally but is still a good idea.

Scott

o
RE: Stumped - Replacement Mechanical Seal for Jandy MHP Pump

Thanks Scott. I'll double check the threads again but they appeared clean. I've also contacted Jandy and they seem to have conflicting information on which replacement part is correct (although the one I got looks correct). I've ordered another in hopes I got a defect with a short spring height on the first one. Anyone else run into this problem? I've replaced mechanical seals in other pumps and they went together fine, as expected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here