Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new pump/filter for 22,000 gallon gunite pool

Posted by geosulcata (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 13:48

Our pool was built in 1971. We need a new pump/filter. The old pump got a hole in the casing. The motor still works, but we are looking for something that will save us on operating costs. We currently have a 1.5hp. Our energy costs are around 12 cents/kwh. We also have the original fiberglass, tall filter with pleated cartridge. We aren't sure what size filter to purchase. Everything has 1.5" connections now.

We have been quoted $1400 for a hayward variable flow pump, $500 for a pleated or hayward sand filter, and a salt water system was suggested for around $600 or a clorine tablet attachment for $100. Labor is $80 an hour. This all comes to more than the cost to build the pool in 1971 :) Times have changed!

I am clueless about the best system that will have the lowest operating costs. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new pump/filter for 22,000 gallon gunite pool

I would try and go with Pentair equipment the link below will help you with costs if you know your KWper/hr off of you electric bill cost.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pool pump calculator

o

I am a totally Hayward person. replacement parts and repair are cheaper and easier!
The prices you posted are about right. where are you and I can give you more info!

o

I just went through the same thing. Gunite and plaster pool, about 24000 gallons.

Upgraded my old single speed 1-1/2hp Pentair Whisperflo pump with a Pentair VS pump.

Replaced my Pentair Clean and Clear 240 cartridge filter with a Pentair Quad DE 100. The filter could easily be considered oversize for my pool, but the Quad DE will filter better than the old C&C, and the larger size will give me longer runs between cleanings. I like the "hybrid" aspect of the Quad DE. The ease of cartridges, the filtering of DE. I'm going to direct-plumb the filter, meaning no multi-port valve.

I don't know much about Hayward, but I highly recommend the move to the variable speed pump. If they offer a 2-speed pump that might save you money on pump coast and running costs.

o

If you have never had a Mutiport-valve you missing out on alot of convenience in operation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here