Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdkath

HELP! My Pebble Tec is splotchy.

sdkath
15 years ago

We just got our PT installed Tue and then washed yesterday. The color (Midnight Blue) is fabulous but there are streaks of white all over the pool, including in all the corners. I am not sure if this is something we will see when the water is in but I am concerned!

In our kiddie pool and spa, not only are there streaks but uneven surfaces and splotches where there is too much stone or not enough. Those parts clearly need to be redone. But the rest of the pool I am not sure about.

I will post pix tonight after I go home because I am working all day and I am biting my nails. I called the PB and they said "oh, we will come look".

They also have told us not to fill the pool for 2 days because they are installing the swim machine. SO the PT is sitting there dry with no water in it.

Also, if it does have to be done, can they layer PT on top of existing PT, or do they have to take it out and then put it on again??

Thanks for any help. Katherine

Comments (30)

• olemissrebel
    15 years ago

I am by no means a builder, so my expertise is limited to only my personal experiences, but our PT had to be redone twice (needs a 3rd time but the PB is nowhere to be found/out of business...but that's another story) and each time they had to chip out the old plaster and do the whole thing over. Your PB may suggest filling the pool and waiting to see if it needs to be redone.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

San Diego... Gardner pool plastering did it. I just looked them up and they are an authorized installer. I have now spoken to them after they came out and looked at it. They say it's the shotcrete being uneven (aka not their fault) which is totally wrong as the pebbles are unevenly coating the surface. I insisted on a meeting with them in the AM tomorrow so we will see. I am pretty sure they have to redo the spa and kiddie pool though.

I put a link to our current build thread below so you can see. I will put up the pix later tonight...

Katherine

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego Sunshine Pool Build

• tsunami
    15 years ago

The reason why I want to use PebbleTec is that they always seem to accept responsibility, if something's wrong with the finish. This is the first time that I've heard of them trying to blame the PB.

If the shotcrete was uneven, shouldn't Gardner have taken care of it as part of the prep work or at least pointed it out for someone to have it corrected first? I don't think the PB could be responsible for the white streaks. I thought the acid wash would take care of that. I'm curious to see what the PB will say.

I'll be watching this closely, as Gardner is the only PebbleTec installer in our area.

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

All shotcrete/Gunite is uneven. That's why when you turn the lights on at night in the pool the floor has bumps in it. The plaster can show in the pebble, but that should only be in one or two small spots at the most. The white streaks are not common altough midnight blue can have a white haze to it sometimes because the plaster is so dark. I've drained a spa that was a little hazy and re acid washed it to get rid of it after about six months of use. Here's a little FYI pebbletech installers are franchies. They will only do something if forced to by the main office.
    Normally most of the spots where the plaster shows thru are taken care of at acid wash.

• ncounty
    15 years ago

so sorry to hear this, sdkath. I sure hope it is just the normal process and not something that needs a redo. It should help to post the pics so the experienced here can help determine if this is not within the normal initial outcome. I was quietly freaking out when my pool was filled but it has changed considerably with time and I am quite happy with it now. I wish someone would have told me better what to expect.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, here are some pix from day 2 of the PT install:

What is this orange here by the beach entry?

White streaks along the corners:

• ncrealestateguy
    15 years ago

Looks like a very poor acid wash to me.
    As far as leaving it not filled; I would just water it down during this time, just like you did after it was gunited.

• mark1969
    15 years ago

sdkath,

We just had ours done and it looked similiar until we filled it and started brushing. Hopefully that is all you need...

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys,

I met with the foreman this morning and he said that it looks fine for now. He said once the chemicals are balanced in the water and it is brushed down, all of these splotches will go away. He promised to drain the pool and fix any problems if in 2-3 weeks it still looks like that. I told him I would hold him to his word. :) Of course, they will have our money by then, but I guess I just need to trust him that this is ok for now.

So they are installing the swim machine today and we are filling in a couple of hours. Keeping fingers crossed.

Katherine

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

Kath - FWIW, Mission Valley is usually fairly decent about fixing stuff (it might take a few calls, tho....). They ended up completely replacing my SWG a year after it was installed as the high salt levels necessary for that particular model were wreaking havoc with my pool cover mechanism. Who are you dealing with? Steve? John?

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to hear it. I have been happy with them fixing things so far but not happy with the PT installer, who said "well, it aint our fault" to everything I brought up. I am talking with John at MV Pools and he reassured me today that it should be fine. We are filling as we speak. I will post more pix on my building thread later today. Katherine

• tresw
    15 years ago

Katherine, white haze isn't anything to worry about, it's probably plaster cream coming to the surface (even though it's a PT finish the matrix is still plaster) and should go away with some brushing once the pool is filled and water balanced. It's kind of hard to tell cream from missing aggregate in the photos though; for example, in the 4th picture down is that cream on the surface or is pebble missing? If you've got any areas where pebble is missing it might be rough on the feet (or tushie/ legs if in the spa). Don't worry about the cream, but check and see if you've got any areas that feel unusually rough and/ or are missing pebble. By the way, it looks fantastic overall!

• tsunami
    15 years ago

It looks to me like they didn't rinse it thoroughly. The orange looks like residue from the quartzite. I think brushing is going to take away all that residue.

The Midnight Blue really makes the Red Sockeye stand out. And the quartzite on the steps looks great!

• ncounty
    15 years ago

the filling is so exciting, can't wait to see the pictures. Glad to hear of your experience with MV pools, Arielitas mom, since I used them as well....I filled my pool about 5 weeks ago.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We are filling! I posted pix on my regular thread. I'll let you all know what happens to the blotches. They are definitely less noticeable now that the water is in. But I am also worried about the poor pebble coverage. I am told those parts that have uneven pebble just need more "pebble exposure" which they prefer to do by brushing in the next week or so rather than acid washing again.

We should be filled by 4am tonight! ROFL... Poor DH.

Katherine

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Pool Build -- San Diego Sunshine

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

Brushing is not going to expose more pebble. The white streaking is something that is not common. The haze can be common as I've explained before. You'll be draining that thing in 2 weeks. Gardener seems to have a problem with steps and benches and shallow areas, hence why I do not use Gardener. Where's your eyeball fittings for your returns and jets?

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bummer. All the problems I see regarding pebble coverage are in the spa and kiddie pool so I am less worried since those won't take long to drain. The main pool seems to have the streaking that I guess will go away with the chemicals and brushing. I would HATE to have to fill this thing twice! Our water bill is gonna be outrageous. Thank goodness our mandatory water conservation doesn't kick in till July!

No idea about the eyeball fittings. Are those the ends of the jets that can be manipulated to change their direction in the spa? If so, I have no idea when they are putting those in...

Katherine

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

Yes, those are the ends of the jets that can be manipulated. And it's to late to put them in now. The 1" pipes are cut and the fitting is glued on and the the pebble goes around the fitting so it is flush with the eyeball. Only way to do it now is to bust out the pebble around the end of the pipe, cut and then add fitting.

• tsunami
    15 years ago

"Gardener seems to have a problem with steps and benches and shallow areas, hence why I do not use Gardener. Where's your eyeball fittings for your returns and jets?"

Who do you use to install PebbleTec in San Diego; I thought they were the only game in town? Also, who's responsibility is it to install the eyeballs? Shouldn't they do this no questions asked?

• arielitas_mom
    15 years ago

If I recall correctly, they added the fittings and the drain covers, etc. later - I thought they just popped them in...

So when are we having our pool tour, ladies?

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Next weekend! Let's aim for Saturday late morning. Email me and we can work out the details. They are doing our landscaping today and supposedly bringing plants Monday. Yipeee. I posted pix on the regular thread of the pool full!

Katherine

• ncounty
    15 years ago

sounds great, ladies! I was just outside working on my pool, lol.... where are the men?!!! ;)

my palm trees are now dropping seeds into the pool which jams up my pool vac so I'm having to sweep them up manually.

• mikethepoolguy
    15 years ago

It needs a 'hot' startup and should be fine.

• devildog1989
    15 years ago

Unless the eyeball fittings are the glue on type on the inside of the pipe. That would be the only way to correct that, I'm not sure if those type have a 1" size. I use Kerber Brothers for my pebble. I do not use the pebble tech brand. I know other people and builders will disagree with me, but the pebbletech brand pebbles are no different than any other pebble. There are only so many stones in the colors that all the brands use, they all don't come from different rivers, quarries whatever. I can get any pebbletech color that I want with the exception of a couple that pebbletech has the rights to until there trademark on that pebble goes out. It's kind of like a Ford Ranger and a Mazda truck.Same truck just different branding. The Pebbletech installers are all franchise, which mean they can buy and sell their franchise as they please. I put more trust in an installer that has been doing it for 20+ years who have employees that have been working for them for 30+ years than I do the latest pebbletech franchisee. I think Gardener has had the pebbletech name for a while, but I've seen problems with their installers for the last couple of years.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, the pool startup guy was here and said that he doubted that the uneven coverage will be solved by brushing. But he was ok with those creamy white stains that are all over the main pool, saying that the residue can be removed easily within a week. He tested all of our lights and pumps and said everything is working ok. I frankly did not see him put any chemicals in today.... Said he'd be back in 2 days (Monday) for more fun. Told me it's "optional" to brush the pool down.

So in the worst case, we are draining and redoing the kiddie pool and maybe part of the spa. I can live with that as long as the main pool doesn't need to be drained.

I posted pix of our full pool on the thread this AM. Looks great overall!

As for the jets, thanks for reminding me. Our agreement was for the kind that can be directed in the spa, so I will have to ask the foreman on Monday.

Katherine

Here is a link that might be useful: San Diego Sunshine Poolbuild

• kgolby
    14 years ago

Have kind of a similar situation & need advice. Pool was filled a week ago Sunday & I've been brushing daily. Alot of the white residue came off with the first few brushings. I still have white residue on the sides of the pool & sides of steps. I brush & brush & no changes. PB says it may take a few months for it to disappear. Also, I've got a TN Fieldstone stacked wall & I've got brown streaks on the pebble finish. I'm assuming it's from the stone. Again all the brushing I'm doing doesn't seem to make a difference. The PB wants to stop by & get the final draw payment but I want some resolution w/ the finish first before I pay him in full. Any advice about what I should request of the PB regarding finish. We have Crystalstone installed in plum color.

• sdkath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We JUST had the PT installer at our house Monday and Tuesday this week. The pool looks better now that we've had chemicals in and waited a month. I still see some splotches but they are very minor and I am surely not about to drain to pool to have them fixed (which is what I am sure they count on us settling on when they fill the pool in the first place).

However, the shoddy job they did on the kiddie pool and spa got fixed 2 days ago. They drained both and completely redid the finish in both (had to jackhammer up the old stuff and redo it). It looks fantastic now! SO we are overall very happy with the surface and LOVE the way ti looks.

I also love the feel of the PT. Not too rough at all and the look and feel of those pebbles is just wonderful.

My advice is that if you have flawed application (uneven pebble coverage), complain NOW and don't pay them until they reapply. If you have white streaks, you will most likely be able to get them off with more brushing and chemical balance.

Katherine

• kgolby
    14 years ago

Fortunately the pebble coverage is fine. It's just the white residue that's pretty much on all of the sides of the pool and steps. PB came out yesterday to clean filter and put more chemicals in the pool and said it could take up to 3-6 mos for it to completely go away. They're a reputable PB in my city so I'm going to trust them. My husband wants to me to get something in writing stating that the pool finish shouldn't have any residue after 3-6 mos and if it does, what do they plan to do to fix it.

• R Reinecke
    7 years ago

Our pebbletech acquired more white spots and streaking as the months wore on. Our pool is balanced so there's no issues there. The company said it was calcium deposits and that we could drain the pool and do an acid wash or just add acid to the pool while its full and give it a few days. Does all this sound right? I thought the spots would decrease but instead they have increased in quantity. Your thoughts?

how particular can you be when it comes to the color of your pool? I mean, you make this investment, it should be perfect, right?