Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pooluser

Two Pool Options - Help!

pooluser
11 years ago

We are planning on installing an inground pool this year. We've actually been working on this since last July and are still waiting on final quotes. We likely will end up with the following two options and both have pros/cons. Any insight?

Option 1 Kafko 18X36 Inground Vinyl Lined Sport Pool
Salt Generator
Liner Covered stairs running length of shallow end
Solar Tube Heating (installed by us)
CoverStar Auto Cover (HUGE discount)
Stamped Concrete around pool
Automatic pool cleaner
Cantilever Concrete
Spring Cover for winter

Approximate Cost: $30,000 (this is a special deal through a friend of a friend and we've been talking to him for over 6 months - but it's taking forever and we're concerned it may not be installed in a timely fashion). The retail cost of this set up is $50K to $54K

Pros:
Big pool
auto cover (we have a young child who is really sneaky and we're worried about her- we will also install a fence. We have older kids too but aren't worried about them as they behave well most of the time)
less expensive
We'll have money left over for a master bathroom remodel (this is the only room in our house (built 5 years ago) that we didn't fully customize - it's just builder standard.

Cons:
The current install schedule is July. They are going to try to fit us in before that (waiting on timelines) but I worry that they won't actually hit that. The contractor (we've been working with the pool manufacturer) hasn't been returning our phone calls
It's a vinyl pool and liner will need replacement eventually
We're really worried about repair and maintenance of the auto cover - we've been reading some bad things about them and don't have a ton of money for costly repairs in a couple of years
Aesthetically, we'd prefer a free form pool but are going with rectangle due to the auto cover

Option 2: Thursday Pools 14X33 Fiberglass Freeform pool

Salt Generator
Integrated stairs and sun ledge
Solar Tube Heating (installed by us)
Stamped Concrete around pool
Automatic pool cleaner
Cantilever Concrete
Spring Cover for winter
Approximate Cost: $35,000 (this is a special deal through a close friend who just became a distributor of the pools a couple weeks ago - we've known him for years and trust him - his primary business is stamped concrete and he's done all the concrete work at our house). The retail cost of this setup is around $46K to $50K.

Pros:
Fiberglass pool (I like the look better)
Installed faster - and probably 2 months sooner
Less maintenance
No liner to replace (though this isn't a huge concern for us)
Free Form pool
Work with a friend whom we trust

Cons:
More expensive
Slightly smaller pool, but still a good size
Guilt from not going with the guy that's been working with us for 6 months!
No auto cover - we'll still have and are looking into this product: http://www.allsafepool.com/pool-nets/
Won't have any money left over for a master bathroom remodel

I'm normally good with decisions. When we went into this project last year, I wanted a fiberglass pool. But we fairly quickly learned we'd have to do a smaller pool than we wanted with our budget (around 12X25 max). So we decided to do a vinyl pool for cost reasons. The person we connected with works for the manufacturer. He's doing us a huge favor and has likely spent a lot of time negotiating big discounts with suppliers on our behalf. But, this has taken literally 7+ months and the install date will be much later than we anticipated. He's a good guy and I do trust him. He found a dealer that was willing to install the pool that we purchase direct from the manufacturer. We liked him, but he has been unresponsive to phone calls and we don't really trust that he can squeeze our install in earlier than July/August. Because this process has taken so long, our friend called us and said he had just become a pool distributor for fiberglass pools and wanted to give us a quote. We trust him, he returns phone calls, and has done great work for us in the past. We would likely be his first pool, but he's working with experienced people on it, and has a fiberglass pool himself.

Any thoughts? Especially on the auto cover maintenance and repair and whether it's really worth it? I suppose if you take the auto cover out of it, we would go with the fiberglass though I'll feel really guilty about it.

Comments (4)

• nicole007
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If it were me, I'd go with the vinyl one. I just got a pool remodeled and they're supposed to last about 10 years. Also, salt generators .... someone who builds pools swore to me that the salt rusts them out. He flat out sold me against them. His arguments were very convincing. I don't know why so many people seem to like them. To me, the vinyl wins if you're looking at pros and cons.

Pros
    You'd also have a pool cover
    And bigger pool
    And money left over

But, I think you need to find someone else to install it if the contractor is not calling you back before he even has your sale, then that is NOT a good sign!

I can tell you like the way the more expensive pool looks and I almost get the feeling that may be what you're deep down heart's desire is. But, if it were me, I'd go with the vinyl and a larger pool.

• nicole007
    11 years ago

Actually, the vinyl liners could even last longer than 10 years. The pool guys I work with act like they're hardier than people think they are. I'm always worried about the chlorine fading it or too much direct sunlight and they're always saying there's no need to worry that it's fine. They act like it will be good for a long time. Two pretty liner choices is Hawthorn by McEwan sp? and Logan for more of a concrete look. Two people swore that Logan - the mosaic border - was real. They were standing right up to the water's edge and they couldn't tell. Maybe it's because they weren't pool owners... They also kept asking what I put in the water to make it blue. The neighbors were also exclaiming over how "blue" it was. Hawthorn is even bluer with a sparkle pattern.

• jerseypool
    11 years ago

I've read posts with bad results when you put a salt system coupled with the auto cover. Lots of corrosion until it stops working altogether. Can the cover (tracks and mechanicals) be made with non-corrosion components?

• pooluser
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The components of this system are aluminum so more resistant to the salt. But I have heard the same. I've just been reading lots about high costly repairs. Apparently the ropes can go bad in as little as 1 season and cost to replace is $600 to $1000. The cover itself has a life of at most 5 years (if you believe what you read) and costs thousands to replace. Motors go bad as well.

The average replacement time for a vinyl lines is around 8 years. But like I said, that's not a huge deal to us.

The salt systems are much easier maintenance. But it is corrosive so you need to use brass fittings with things rather than steel. The pool walls themselves, of a vinyl lined pool, would only be affected if you had a prolonged leak you weren't aware of.

But you're right, I would prefer the fiberglass. I think they look nicer and they're easier to care for. We had eliminated them as a possibility due to cost.