Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbmy_gw

Help - am i being ripped off on Paver Install (FL)?

dbmy
11 years ago

We are buying 111 square feet of travertine coping and 1500 square feet of travertine pavers for our pool in mid-west Florida (Sarasota/Tampa area).

For INSTALLATION only, our pool builder is charging us $2.50 per square feet to lay the pavers for the deck (in sand) but an outrageous $22.65 per square foot to install the coping (mortared). We just had 5 bathrooms retiled and the price didn't come even close to that. His justification for the installation difference is that they have to be mortared.

Can anyone share what they paid for Installation on coping versus Installation on decking? Again these are travertine pavers and travertine bullnose coping. I feel like we're getting ripped off and really need some guidance.

Comments (19)

• MikeG715
    11 years ago

I am in Tampa Bay (Pasco county) I had 863 sq ft of pavers and brick coping installed for under $6000, that was everything, not just the installation cost. I am not sure what the cost per foot was, but that seems crazy.

• brentr_gw
    11 years ago

I think that that is very pricey. We live in Jacksonville, FL. We paid $3.00 per sq ft for the pavers outside our screen area, $5.00 per sq ft for the screened room AKA Flamingo Room, and $5.26 per sq ft for the pavers on the raised footers that hold the screen room in place. All the rest of the pavers were included in the price of the pool. The pavers outside the screen room have been mortared at ht borders to keep the pavers from moving. We built our pool in 2009 so I am not sure how that would compare with prices today. I would definitely get more quotes. Please post pics of your install. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our pool build in Jacksonville

• neilaz
    11 years ago

The price for the pavers is very good maybe even cheap. The price for coping install is always higher. If your pool has lots of curves cost goes up due to all the cuts. That said i don't know if your coping price is high or not.

• natural_one
    11 years ago

both prices would be reasonable for AZ. The 22 could be high for AZ for labor only from a builder to a homeowner, but there are some variables there that could drive the price by a couple bucks up or down (curved or straight, grout/color, sealed/non sealed, thin sets used etc).

• Ron Barbetti
    8 years ago

I am looking for a reputable paver contractor to install a driveway and backyard patio (over 1500 sq-ft) in St. Augustine. Can you message me the name of any recommended and what the projected cost per sq-ft is if known. What is a competitive price nowdays per sq-ft for a large job like this, including materials and labor? Thanks!

• Rankin Becher
    8 years ago

I live in the St. Petersburg area and the crew I recently used charged $9 per "linear" foot for the coping installation. We used 6"x12" inch travertine so that equates to square feet. The material was $3.30 /sq. ft. Purchased at Stone Mart in Tampa. Also, the cost for deck installation was $1.50 per square foot plus the material cost.

• Rankin Becher
    8 years ago

I just noticed that you mentioned "bullnose" coping. We used 6x12 one inch thick tiles. I have not seen a bullnose travertine product ....so a large part of the cost difference may be in the material.

• Deborah Murphy
    8 years ago

Hi Rankin - That is a beautiful pool. I live in the Tampa area and we are currently mid way through building our pool. We are looking for somebody to install our travertine pavers. We have the coping done already by the pool company but are in need of somebody that can install the remainder of the deck with French pattern. What is the name of the company or contact information for who installed yours?

• Rankin Becher
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Deb.... Thank you. Hopefully you don't mind eliminating the middle man and working directly with the crew. The lead is named Gleason. The last contact I had for him was local area code - 3319191... Let me know how it works out. Last quote I had, was $1.50 a square foot for labor only.

good luck....

• Deborah Murphy
    8 years ago

Hi Rankin - Thank you for providing this information. Was the phone number a St. Pete 727 area code of Tampa 813 ?

• PRO
    Pool Pro Office
    8 years ago

When it comes to the cost of paver decks and coping installs in Florida the price will vary between types of pavers and copings installed, size of overall decks, raised areas with double bullnose spas? Travertine pavers and coping will be on the upper end of pricing along with marble and Artistic pavers. The standard brick pavers range from $4.50 to $6.00 sg.ft with bullnose brick around $16 to $18 lineal ft and from there you go up $

• annedykeman
    8 years ago

Hi, on the Gleason lead can you confirm the area code. I called it through 813 and it is a different name. Thank You

• kristinturner167
    8 years ago

I like in St. Petersburg, FL and we didn't have the option for bullnose as we did Travertine but we paid much less than that, I can't find our paperwork but I'll look tonight. We are now deciding on Stonescapes Tropics or Tahoe Blue. What finish did you all get? I would love to know locally how the colors turned out in the beautiful Florida sun.

• Rankin Becher
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

For Debster.... Area code is 727

For Kristin... We used CL industries... Hydrazzo -French Grey. (Pool)

Crystalstones Natural..Sandy Beach (Spa, Baja Shelf)

• kristinturner167
    8 years ago

Thanks Rankin :)

• smirobojo
    8 years ago

Has anyone had any luck contacting the installer Gleason that Rankin Becher mentioned in his post? I tried 727 and 813 area code with the 331-9191, I am not sure either one are correct at this point in time. I am looking for travertine installation and pebbletec pool resurface. Any recommendations or comments? Thanks,

• Ruthann Furst
    7 years ago

can anyone recommend a fair contractor to install a travertine driveway in the Palm Beach County area?

• mannadiars
    7 years ago

Any one knows whats the sqft price for a stonescape replaster of the pool?