Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
plaster rough

Posted by solrac6262 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 12:54

Hello I am not an expert on pools, my spa plaster feels very rough, and also my pool steps and ledge.. the spa side walls and pool are very smooth.only the flat surface, can this be corrected>?? I have a pool guy, that cleans and takes care of my pool why this could happen?

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: plaster rough

You might be able to sand it with a fine grit of wet/dry sand paper.

What has your pool guy told you?

Scott

o

I had this problem a few years back. What I did was lower my ph to around 6.8 and let it sit there for a few days. This will loosen the scale and make it easier to remove from the plaster. I then used a eight inch spackel knife on my telescoping pole (held with pipe clamps) and gently knocked the scale from the surface. Don't scrape too hard just lightly slide against the surface. Then repeat a few times and brush the surface, you should see the scale in the pool and feel the surface getting smoother,

I tried lowering ph and brushing only as recommended by pool experts, but it did not work there still was scale. The friction from the scraper on the surface was better at knocking the scale off in my situation.

I then used a coagulant (flocculant) to catch scale and drop to bottom of pool. Then vacuum to waste.

For me it worked and I have not had scale since. I had problems with scale when I originally changed from a solid cover to a mesh cover. Allowing the ph to remain high without balancing was the problem.

Every winter and early spring I check the ph to make sure it stays balanced. So that I don't have the problem when I open my pool.

I hope this helps. It did for me.

o

Sounds like he is not keeping the alkalinity in check. Too high causes build-up. I am guessing he gives the walls a quick brushing, but doesn't do the flat surfaces.

This is just a guess based on a bit of experience. My parent's pool man consistently wrote 120 on the paperwork. However, once I got my pool and learned how to check for everything, I check hers the day after he was there. It was over 180!

o

is this something to blame on the pool guy? he skip 2 weeks because he was on a vacation.. he said it was calcuim build up, I think it was something to do with the ph levels, he said he was going to poor something on the pool and comeback next week he did scrub the spa probably doing acid wash not sure I wasnt there my mom talked to him

o

If it's calcium, it took a while to build up. That is why it is important to check the chems with a quality kit and to understand things such as CSI and LSI in addition to pH, alk, cya, CH and chlorine levels.

Many "pool professionals" don't take the time to check.

Many "pool professionals" don't know to check.

The only one you can blame is the owner of the pool. Hiring out for a service, IMHO, should not happen until you know what your pool needs, not because you don't know.

I want my customers to measure me accurately and fairly. If I have to lend them my test kit to help them with this or point them to reference sites, I do it.

My customers often don't have the time for maintenance but that, to my way of thinking, is no excuse for not knowing. They host guests and have family swimming there. I treat every pool as if it was my family and friends swimming there. No one has beefed with me yet.

Very few actually take this position in practice but every one will make this claim. As to whether you should change service professionals is not something I can help you with but I can suggest you show him www.poolcalculator.com so he can better set the targets your pool chems need to be at.

Very few things about a pool happen quickly, from the time you decide to build one to the time you move from the home.

Scott

o

Scott,

Can you move to Phoenix? ;D

o

That would force me to sell my account here to someone I could trust and take over just-a-pb's service teams so he could bury Shasta.

Scott

o

LOL!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here