Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replastering and changing out tile estimates

Posted by Randomm (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 11:22

We live in the Seattle area and have only found 2 companies who replaster and upgrade gunite pools. The costs seem outrageous and I was wondering if these estimates are average cost or should I keep looking for more bids? Our pool is 18 x 28. The first bid estimate for just replastering is $9,250 plus tax. To replaster and retile is $15,140.56. The second bid estimate for replastering and installing 2"x2" surface bullnose tile on edge of pool, spa steps and benches is $13,680 plus tax. To replaster and retile everything is $23,680 plus tax. I'm so frustrated and these costs just seem so high. I am at a loss on what to do... Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replastering and changing out tile estimates

What kind of surface are they putting on? Just regular plaster or something else?

o

If you want to break out the tile and pool coping from the pool interior plaster redo then get an estimate from a stone mason and tile setter with a good reputation. Pool coping is not specific from any other surface and neither is the tile accept the old plaster has to be removed first. However , tile grout for pools may be specific.

o

It seems that pool renovation is highly geographically dependent, and in areas where there are not a lot of pools, there is not a lot of competition so there is no downward pressure on the pricing. I've found that in my area (OKC) and when I hear what people in Dallas (just a few hours away!) pay for some of the same pool services I am green with envy.

I would suggest you keep looking for bids. Talk to neighbors/friends at school/work/church/Facebook etc. and put the word out that you are looking for a company to renovate your older pool. Maybe they can hook you up with some more companies for quotes as well as recommendations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here