Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rita2006_gw

New build in North Texas

rita2006
13 years ago

Getting ready to finalize the deal on our first pool. Have gained much info. and ideas from this forum, but still overwhelmed. Any and all suggestions on this proposal would be greatly appreciated!

Pool size: 25x38, depth: 3 1/2x5x8

911 sf washed aggregate decking, 55' of drainline run

6" band waterline tile, choice of flagstone

quartz plaster

intellichlor IC40 salt system

Shallow end steps w/ 4' tan ledge and bubbler

Swimout, 2 benches

3 evaporative coolers

Automatic cleaner- lutro legend w/booster pump

60sf DE filter, 3hp intelliflo VS3050 VS pump

easytouch 8 w/ wireless controller

3 sheer descent waterfalls, 12'to 18" raised beam feature

w/ 18" column on each end

2 intellibrite color LED pool lights

4" steel reinforced concrete epuipment slab to be within

50' of pool

12" x 16" bond beam (4 EA.#4 rebar),entire shell(#3 on8"x8"

centers)

Two surface skimmers, two safety drains

Five schedule 40 returns w/adjustable eyeballs

polyvoid expansion joint between coping and deck,decco seal

telescopic aluminum pole,leaf net, 18"brush

four in one test kit,thermometer,initial start up chemicals

Rock charge of up to $2000 could be assesed if hoe ram is

used during excavation, not included

Typhoon slide

6' diving board

Comments (7)

• rita2006
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We are contemplating doing a spa instead of the raised wall with columns on the back side of pool. It would push our budget over the limit a little and wondering if it is worth it. Don't want to regret later that we didn't put the spa in, but not sure we would use it enough to justify the extra cost. Would love to hear opinions from others in north texas!

• peymar3
    13 years ago

We are currently getting bids to add a spa to our existing pool (the previous owners put in the pool). So far, every PB has warned us that it is very expensive to add it on after the fact. I haven't received any bids back yet - but I am worried! So if you think you might want it, I would do it now.

• dfwtex
    13 years ago

We live in Melissa (north of McKinney, TX) and had our pool built last year. At first, we didn't include a spa, but friends told us that if you have kids, you need a spa for them to play in. In fact, they got in the spa today. So, we had an 8 person spa built w/the pool. Now wish we had built a bigger spa. When we have friends over, all of the adults are in the spa. Plus, it's pretty cool to get in the spa on a cold evening. Another feature of having a spa is that when the pool is running, we basically have a water feature w/the spillway.

• llcp93
    12 years ago

Hey fellow Texan. I'm between D & FW.
    We built a large pool for play and diving with waterfall grotto to accommodate 3 kids (nearing teen yrs + friends) without a spa. The pool has been satisfactory the last 3 summers. My husband grew up with pools that had spas. I made friends with people who had pools. I did not recall loving spas as much as the pools. So, we did not build a spa, though we had it quoted. It was a considerable addition in price to build it (the way I wanted it). I regret not having done it. Everyday. I find I am not as big a swimmer as I used to be and would have enjoyed a spa. It would have been used year round in our house. Thankfully, a good friend lives close by with a spa but it's not the same.

• tiffnktown
    12 years ago

We just went through the same deliberation that you did! We live in N.FW and are having a pool put in as we speak. We finally decided not to have a spa put in not only because of cost but because we weren't sure how much we would actually use it. We are thinking of getting an above ground spa put in at a later date. Not only are they cheaper but they look a whole lot more comfy with a lot more features than you can get with a pool/spa. Although I must say that pools with spas do look pretty cool!

• lookingforapool
    12 years ago

We chose a spa and don't regret it.

One benefit that I didn't consider when deciding (but found convenient this winter) is that we have a heater. We don't really use the heater to heat the pool, but without a heater, there wouldn't have been a fancy thermostat. In Texas we don't drain/winterize our pools the same as up north. This winter every time the temp dropped over night, or an unexpected cold front came in, the pool equipment automatically turned itself on to prevent freeze damage. It was a nice piece of mind that I wouldn't have pipes bursting over the weekend when I was out of town and the temp dropped to freezing. Not that this itself is worth the added expense, it was just a bonus!

• gonnabuild
    12 years ago

We're in Plano and out pool has a really big (10 person)raised spa with waterfall into the pool (so it serves as its own water feature ;)). The spa gets used as much or more than the rest of the pool by both adults and kids.

When our kids were small, we built a plywood "floor" to cover the deep center section, so they had their own little wading pool.....

I'd never have a pool without one!!