Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oakrunfarm

Fire hydrant from your pool?

oakrunfarm
13 years ago

We live on acreage far out in the country, and I know we are quite a distance from the nearest fire hydrant.

Additionally, we are serviced by volunteer fire depts that would likely take quite some time to arrive at our home in the event of a fire.

While we do have regular spigots connected to our home, I am sure they would not be much help in the case of a larger-sized fire.

I googled "pool hydrant" and came up with some companies that have created a system that ties into the existing pump/filtration/water supply of your pool at the equipment pad and functions as a hydrant in case of emergency.

While the one I was looking at appears to be a great idea, I was wondering if anyone has actually added a system like this to their pool, and if so, your thoughts, recommended system(s) and appx. cost?

Thanks!

Comments (6)

• zl700
    13 years ago

Anything you add to your pool will be for your use only.

If the FD is needed for a fire they will respond with 500-1000 gallons per tank on the truck, if you are truly rural, they will also dispatch 1000-2000 gallon tanker(s).

If your pool is assessable within 35' of a pumper, they can throw a suction line in and draft (siphon off) the pool water with a engine (firetruck).

A single 1-3/4" handline flows about 150 GPM at 150 PSI at the nozzle, less pressure if it is a straight tip.

Your pool pump will be of little help unless the pool is not accessible and the FD sets up a portable pond for the tankers to relay water too and the pool water can supplement it.

Bear in mind, in many house fires, the electric is disconnected to protect firefighters inside and out, rendering your pump useless.

• oakrunfarm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. It sounds like it would be better to just have the FD use a suction line. The pool would be accessible to a truck in case there were a fire. It is around 26,000 gal.

I never thought about them cutting off the power (although I don't know how they'd do that if they can't access the box - it's inside).

We are pretty far out, but even so, I think someone could be here relatively quickly. I just thought it might provide a good first line of defense to keep something from getting out of hand or put out.

Thanks again.

• golfgeek
    13 years ago

oakrunfarm,
    On several occasions I have installed a 4" or 6" line from the bottom of the pool to a location that would be convenient for a firetruck. There are also gas operated pumps that can be used for fire prevention.
    Providing some kind of body of water, wheather it's a pool or storage tank, can help reduce insurance rates.

• Fori
    13 years ago

Have you checked with the local FD? They might have some advice. (They might have no clue, which seems more likely, but it's possible!)

• pamghatten
    13 years ago

I also live in a rural area, our volunteer fire department will pump from ponds and pools when there is a fire. Luckily, I have a 3/4 acre pond right behind the house.

I watched them battle a friends barn fire, unfortunately, and they set up "pools" in the middle of the street which they then filled from neighboring ponds. It was horrible (no loss of life ... human or animal, he got the cows out, just a huge barn and equipment lost) and amazing to watch at the same time.

• CDAllen
    12 years ago

I have a system in development that does NOT require water pressure from the city, electricity from any utility company to run it, connection to the FD or your pool pump. No one needs to be home to activate it. All from your own pool. When a fire occurs in a densley populated, or rural stting, one of the initial problems is water pressure and electricity. Often, if city FD services have tapped other hydrants, pressure is very low, neccessitating a FD truck/pump rig. Secondly, in a firestorm, you may well be without electricity, as the utility companies often shut the lines down to avoid further ignition due to downed lines. My system is a stand alone system. Independent of agency water or electrical sources. Why depend on someone else to make sure your home is saved? An average pool is more than enough water to provide coverage for your home and property for 40 minutes. Which, according to our local FD, is the amount of time you will need protection.

I have it installed in 4 homes w/pools and it works perfectly as designed, and only needs an anual, or more often as desired, check and activate to make sure it will always work for you. If you're interested, please contace me. Chris Allen, seasidebuilders@cox.net or, allencd@cox.net