Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Heating a FB pool in Ohio

Posted by countrygal_905 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 12 at 8:35

We are starting to get quotes for fiberglass pools. We live in NW Ohio and I was wondering how much extra use we would get by adding a heater. I'm totally convinced we need one (I don't like cold), but my husband is on the fence about it. Thanks for any insight.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Heating a FB pool in Ohio

If you haven't installed the FG pool yet, you may want to wait a season to add the heater. I'm in Central Jersey, installed a white fiberglass pool last year that received direct sun from 11AM on. The pool would stay warm through midnight. Not bearable, but WARM! There were actually two back-to-back days in June of last year where we got in the pool and got right back out because it was uncomfortable!

I guess a lot depends on whether you've got trees, and how the sun hits the pool, as well as the color of the pool, but for us, I can honestly say we would never even consider a heater after this past summer!

I've attached a link to our pool build. You can see the sun hitting at the end of the vid.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fiberglass Pool Build

o

jerseypool, thanks for your response. I was hoping to be able to hear from a few more about whether their heater extended the swimming season by much.

o

countrygal...you can expect the heater to add about a month to both ends of the swim season. This will naturally vary from year to year depending on how early fall starts or spring ends. We live in Louisiana and have a heater but rarely use it. Just can't justify the extra utility expense for making the water comfortable. We just jump in and 10 seconds later are used to the 70 degree water this time of year...same in October.

Like jerseypool recommended, I would make provisions for a heater to be added at a later date and then decide after year one if it's really needed.

If you are expecting the heater to make the pool swimmable when it's cold outside, that's probably not practical. As we say down here, "the water may be warm, but is anybody wearing bathing suits". Said another way, if it's 70 degrees outside does anyone really want to jump into water if it's not bath water.

BTW...I grew up in north central Ohio around Sandusky and remember swimming in June, July and August without a heater and having a blast. Now, of course, they have all the indoor water parks there to enjoy year round!

Hope this helps.

o

Thank you for your help. Yes, I'm really leaning toward making the provisions for a heater and adding it later if I want it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here