Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Paver decking

jscozz
11 years ago

I am going to do paver decking... the company we are looking at for the pool says they normally pour a concrete base and then set the pavers on top. I am not a fan of that. I had pavers set on my front porch on a conreete base and there is no drainage. When it rains the water accumulates. They are EP Henry Cobble so the corners are tapered and all fill up with water.

Anyone who has pavers around your pool... how were they set? On concrete? On regular compacted base and sand layer like normal paver installs? How long after backfill did they do deck? Any settling?

How did they handle the bonding for code?

And I like being able to take them up if I ever need to get to a skimmer or pipe.

Comments (4)

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

Usually around here they put a 12" base of crushed concrete, well compacted in 4" to 6" lifts,and a couple inches of paver base. Then the pavers are set and polymetric sand is vibrated in between to hold them. This generally allows drainage though sometimes additional measures are required.

Ask the local official what the bonding requirements are for what you have planned. They can vary by location.

Scott

• jscozz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thats what I thought. So, if I am going to have a different contractor do the pavers, is it a reasonable dividing line to have the pool contractor handle backfill, bonding mesh, and compaction of crusher run base to proper level around the pool? I want to minimize liability and finger pointing. Then paver contractor would just verify proper slope and base and handle the base sand, pavers and setting sand.

Only problem with this is what to anchor my pool cover to... I think that is one of the reasons the pool builder recommended a solid concrete base.

• poolguynj
    11 years ago

The main bond and back fill is all the PB gets. The paver guy will want to set his own base and if needed, the bonding mesh. He has to warranty it after all.

The cover will get the anchors set in 15" long pipes set between two pavers. I also add a 2' long rebar in each hole for the pipe to grab. This gives it extra strength. I only know of one other cover installer that does this besides me and the owner there taught me.

Scott

• jscozz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All local inspector would tell me is "look at the code; I can't tell you how to do it".

So, that having been said... here are my assumptions:

1) Pre-built copper mesh bond grid is probably easier than 12" spaced #8 wire that I lay and tie myself... code does not really say how it should be tied... but the pre-made grid (Greaves, Eritech) is $$$$. And I need to find a source...
    2) The closer to the underside of the pavers the better, but it makes no sense to put it on top of the sand since the pavers will not bed properly, and since the sand only goes down as they are being laid, there is no inspection point for the inspector to see the mesh laid out. So, I will put the mesh on top of the compacted crusher run base and let it be inspected, then have sand and pavers laid on top of that.

Anyone see any issues with this? Or is that how your contractor did it?