Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boby_huffard

upscale vinyl

Boby Huffard
14 years ago

Has anyone built a vinyl pool with high end options? My husband likes the ease of our current vinyl pool and wants to put in another in our new home, as opposed to gunite. The new home is in an upscale area, different from our country setting here in Central PA. What are some of the possibilities? Pictures appreciated greatly!!!!

Comments (38)

• zuggy333
    14 years ago

Not sure what time frame you're looking at, but my husband and I are starting the demolition of our existing above ground pool, and putting in an in-ground vinyl liner pool (we also loved our previous in-ground vinyl at our other house) mid-May. I've been researching for over a year, and I believe our plans are going to be absolutely gorgeous. I'll keep you posted, and show pictures as we progress.

• fins_up
    14 years ago

Not sure what you consider high end options, but we put in a nice in-ground vinyl pool last summer. I still have some landscaping to finish up and need to complete the cabana, but this is what it looked like late last summer.

Looking East Toward the Cabana

Looking West Toward the Deep End

Shot from the Back-Porch Roof

• Boby Huffard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I guess I am looking for ideas in cantilever copings, skimmers/drains that blend in better, dark liners that don't show the pattern so obviously, vinyl over the steps, etc. We have liked our pool (free form) and my husband LOVES the ease of care (salt chlorine generator). I am not sure I'd do the free form shape again because it would be so much easier to put the solar cover on a rectangular pool.

• zuggy333
    14 years ago

bobyoe - I agree with you regarding the darker vinyl color, as well as the cantilever copings. I also agreed with the vinyl over steps look, however, I was advised (by our concrete contract, who has this), that the vinyl steps are very slippery, and they take quite a beating. So, I'll be making that one concession and getting the typical white steps, which will be 12' wide at the roman end of our pool. As far as making it "classy" we've decided to build an 18" high wall, with three sheer descent waterfalls. On either side of this we'll have fire pots on top of columns, which stand approximately 29" high. We're doing a roman end pool, with a stand alone spa at the end which will not have the roman end. We wanted a partially recessed spa, but Scott (from this forum) advised against this since we'll be using it year-round. In order to make the stand-alone spa look better I decided to place a 39" high bar (the spa stands 38.9" high) on both sides, with four stools. This will help make it look much nicer. Also, where the steps will be, we've going to have beautiful flower pots on either side of the steps, so obviously the cabinet will mostly hidden. And the cabinet of the spa will be made with the same faux brick that the fire pot columns are made of. I haven't decided on the liner yet, but I do know it will be dark. As far as the cantilever coping, we haven't completely decided on the material to be used for the coping, but we're counting on our concrete guy to do something amazing; his work is unbelievably creative. We'll likely do a combination of exposed aggregate concrete and stamped concrete. I originally thought about brick pavers, but to be honest, I really like the concrete guy better than I did all of the paver guys we talked with - and the price ends up to be about the same. While I understand that pavers should be more expensive, that's not the case. And, while I also like the appearance of pavers, I think it's really important to work with somebody who actually seems to be hearing what it is you're saying about the look you'd like to achieve. So, yes, I believe you can make a vinyl in-ground look upscale. As I stated previously, we're not starting our demolition until mid-May, so it will be awhile before I have pics to post, but when I do I'll be happy to share.

• Boby Huffard
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have heard that about the vinyl covered steps being slippery. But I REALLY don't want another set of white (or even grey) steps . (We have the 8 foot curved ones now). It would be great to hear from someone who has the covered ones. I might have to start a new thread for that. As far as "bells and whistles," I want a very plain and classic pool. Not even a spa.

• fins_up
    14 years ago

I think I recall that Pacific Pools has color coordinated steps, skimmers, built in benches, loungers, returns, etc. for their line of IG vinyl pools. Our builder didn't use them, but I remember it from a brochure I had a few years back. The steps, etc. came not only in white, but a beige, a blue and a green to coordinate with their liners, etc. Good Luck.

• zuggy333
    14 years ago

From what I've seen, the "colored" steps don't always necessarily match the exact patterns of the vinyl liners, but if you could find one that does match exactly, that would be the perfect answer. Also, bobyoe, I'd be interested to see what others say about their own experience with vinyl covered steps. If I hear that it's not as slippery as my concrete guy indicated, I'd definitely reconsider my decision.

• choochnbob
    13 years ago

Fins Up- your pool is gorgeous! Thanks for the inspoiring pics. Would anyone do the in-floor cleaner jets in a vinyl pool? We're getting conflicting advice regarding floor jets that clean in a vinyl liner pool and aren't sure whether to or not.
    Thanks!

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Over time, liners dry out, loose the ability to stretch, and then shrink. The more places the liner is tied down, the more places a potential leak can occur exist.

Replacing it is going to cost more because the installer will likely have to schedule at least one extra trip and start/stop filling cycles during the fill period.The venerable Legend, The Polaris 280, and The Pool Cleaner are better suited in liner pools, IMHO.

Scott

• dietrt
    13 years ago

I have the vinyl covered steps and I would highly recommend them if you truly want an 'upscale' look. Yes, they are slippery, but so worth it! I couldn't bare to use the white drop in steps. We have a fabulous medium dark blue liner that makes the water look like a caribbean ocean. We used pavers with bullnose coping and that finishes off the upscale look. Most ppl think we have a gunite pool. It is so easy to maintain this pool, the liner rarely looks dirty, my water is usually crystal clear. Check out these (we used one of their pools) and good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Upscale Vinyl Pools

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

dietrt - in the end I couldn't bring myself to go with the white steps either. I ended up with a blue granite step, but it does match the liner very well, so nobody will be able to tell the difference. I'm hoping that our end result will appear very nice.

• dietrt
    13 years ago

Sounds great. I'm sure you'll love it..post pics!!

• Boby Huffard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the updates and pictures that have been posted.

dietrt and zuggy: Do you have pictures of your pools?

• Boby Huffard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dietrt: are you in NJ?

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

bobyoe, we're still under construction, but I promise that I will post the end result. We have posted some during the construction phase, as well, which I can link for you, but I'm sure you're more interested in the finished product.

• dan77
    13 years ago

Zuggy333... Where are you located???

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

Dan, we're in Michigan. If I'm not mistaken, you posted another thread asking for information on inground vinyl pool builders in the DFW area. I found the two links that may be helpful. The first link is for a company in your area that sells and installs liners for inground and above ground swimming pools. I suspect they may be able to point you to a reputable builder. Good luck!

http://bordenvinylpoolliners.com/default.aspx

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:s3nwf2Mf6kQJ:www.dpandassociates.net/luxury_inground.htm+vinyl+inground+swimming+pool+Dallas,+TX&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• dan77
    13 years ago

zuggy--

You are right. I can find plenty of people who install liners, but not anyone that installs the vinyl inground pools... However, my search continues. Could you tell me how much that you think you saved over doing a gunite pool?

• dietrt
    13 years ago

Bobyoe, I am in central/north NJ (Somerset County). Maybe
    I can email some pics to you.

• cncguy
    13 years ago

heres our vinyl:
    18x37x26

• amiebeth01
    13 years ago

We're in the early stages of doing exactly what you wish to do. In fact, the last PB quoting us comes tomorrow morning- then we will make a decision. I think I'm getting flagstone coping, a continous liner (without the fake tile border) in a tan pebbly tecture. You can also get solid colored liners. I am still deciding between the liner over steps or the colored steps (grey granite) as I have a two year old and am hearing that they can be slippery. We may put in a spill over spa that will have a stone surround. For the ladder in the deep end I am thinking the powder coated light grey to blend in with the pool deck better. We are also going with a curvier more natural shape. If our pool is finished before you start, I will post a picture. I'm also going to attach a few pictures of some of the vinyl pools I really liked when searching for ideas on the web.

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

amiebeth01, Do you remember where you found the info on these 2 pools you posted? If these are vinyl pools, I'm very interested in checking them out.
    Thanks!

• Boby Huffard
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is an old picture. The deck has been redone and no longer has white expansion joints. Although we like our current pool, there are some things we will do differently in the next pool. A rectangle will make use of a solar cover SO much more convenient and I like the clean lines. I want a cantilever deck and want to get away from the white steps, and other changes.....

• dietrt
    13 years ago

I found this website, you might get some new ideas from the pics in their geometric Gallery. The Poolscapes link has some great waterfall, jacuzzi and step ideas, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice liner pool pics

• jasonlmarsh
    13 years ago

That swimking.com link has some pretty nice pools, but I dont understand why they go to the trouble & expense to build a fully concrete pool shell, then drop in a vinyl liner...

• dietrt
    13 years ago

I agree...I have the conventional steel walls and they're just fine. I'm sure that concrete ups the price quite a bit, too.

• ohiorookie
    13 years ago

Fins Up- I love your pool and pool house! Can you please tell me where you found the plans for the pool house?

I am a rookie to swimming pools and just started the process of gathering ideas for a new pool I hope to build in the spring of 2011.

Thank you!!

• zuggy333
    13 years ago

Here are pics of our vinyl pool - which we're loving. Every. Single. Day.

• mach75
    11 years ago

Zuggy, I really like the color of your pool liner. Do you happen to recall the name of the liner design & color?

• mach75
    11 years ago

Zuggy, I really like the color of your pool liner. Do you happen to recall the name of the liner design & color?

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

This is a picture of my pool, we need a new liner. Zuggy, I like he color of your liner too, is it considered medium or dark?

• banana_fanna
    11 years ago

My neighbors replaced their white steps with dark gray and it made a world o' difference.

If I were doing it, I'd pick the gray steps and then find a liner that blended well. Steps first, liner second.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

My steps have the vinyl liner on them now, and I will replace with same when I get the new liner. I have a bad back and worry about slipping, I've never had a problem.

• nepool
    10 years ago

Our pool is 9 years old with the liner of the steps (large beautiful steps). No issue with slipperiness (there's a hand rail) HOWEVER, after a few years the liner over the steps is faded and wrinkled. The rest of the pool looks great (liner in good shape) but because the large top step only has 2 inches of water on it- it takes a beating from the sun. Its not ripped- and seems to be holding up- it just doesn't look nice (being faded and wrinkled).

We are building a new house and am looking into other (non liner over steps) options... don't like the look (at all) of the white steps. I'm thinking we'll go with the blue granite colored with a liner to match and make the steps less of a focal point.

• muddy_water
    10 years ago

Here is one we built this past year with a built in spa that you can't see in this pic ....

• lilbitchatt
    9 years ago

Planning to put in vinyl pool but want to look like gunnite. If anyone has any current pics they share I would really appreciate it. We live on a mountain so will use flagstone coping but want water to look like natural and not bright blue. Looking for classic look to pool. Seems that steps have a lot to do with "look" of pool. Thanks in advance!

• sabrinaloduca
    7 years ago

Muddy_Water do you mind me asking what you paid for your pool?