Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to drain a salt water pool?

Posted by azbabs (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 4:59

Hello All,

I have a 33,000 gallon salt pool that needs drained for an acid wash. The problem is we are on a septic system, also no storm drains on our streets. We live on an acre and flood irrigate, Can we drain into our pasture area? Will the 3,500 ppm of salt damage our pasture? We don't rely on the pasture to "Feed" our mules but they do graze a couple hours a day. There is an irrigation canal behind our property. BTW we are in West Phoenix.

We are scheduled for the drain and acid wash early this week and can flood irrigate about 10 days after the drain.

Thank You in advance,
Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to drain a salt water pool?

As long it is downhill and more than 150' away, let it rip. There isn't a high enough salt concentration to hurt anything that I am aware of.

The distance and slope are what is most important. Going more than 150' is encouraged. I shoot for 200' when I drain a pool.

If there is a dry well, make sure it is and stays empty.

Remove any hydrostatic plugs as the water uncovers them. Check in the drains too!

Scott

o
RE: Where to drain a salt water pool?

Thanks Scott that is a great help. I have read conflicting information on this subject. Your pool knowledge is greatly appreciated.

The house & pool area is elevated on a "pad" so when we flood irrigate, the water surrounds the house & pool pad. There is a block wall that sinks deep into the ground around the pool. In the six years of having the pool we have had no settlement issues.

Thanks again,
Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here