Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbedelman_gw

Polaris 9300 Robot

sbedelman
14 years ago

Does anyone own or had any experience with the Polaris 9300 robot?

I'm wondering how it compares with a pressure style washer like the Polaris 480 or the other electric robots that have been around a while.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

When I first saw it, I was impressed. It is a new model and so a predicted repair record hasn't been established.

Scott

• sbedelman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What did you like about it compared to what is already out there?

Also I'm wondering if the electric robots have some inherent advantages to pressure powered washers like they clean better, are more reliable, etc or if the main reason people buy them is that they don't have the proper plumbing.

Is there anyone who started with a water powered cleaner that is now using an electric one who might be willing to share their thoughts on each?

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

I liked the way the debris capture is removed. They use a top mount system. Seemed easier to me than the fabric bag style.

Scott

• sbedelman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FYI I had a call into the manager at Polaris to ask some technical questions regarding their pressure driven cleaners and while I had him on the line I asked him to compare those to the new 9300. We didn't go into a lot of detail but the only difference he mentioned in term of better cleaning was that the electric cleaner had scrubbers on the front so it did a better job of cleaning the tile.

The debris capture appears to be more convenient which I guess is nice but mostly I was trying to see if it actually cleaned any better. My impression was he thought it was an improvement but not that it was a game changer or anything like that.

• gonnabuild
    12 years ago

I bought a 9300 last fall when my Hayward Phantom finally died. Had 2 Polaris pressure-side cleaners before that, and was just sick and tired of untangling them, replacing expensive parts, wrestling with the debris bags and running my pool pumps just for cleaning.

The 9300 works really well, BUT does take longer to clean the pool. This is mainly because the internal debris container has a very fine mesh, which traps pretty much ALL dirt, algea, etc. The good news is it cleans really well and gets the small crud out of the pool. The bad news is you have to stop the cleaner and hose out the container pretty frequently. It does scrub really well. Had a yellow algea problem for some time, but this thing scrubbed it all off of the walls, and have had no issues since. In general, I like it a lot; it cleans well and rarely gets "stuck", but there are a few downsides;

- Frequent debris container cleaning required (as noted)
    - Can't leave it in the pool, so have to haul it in and out and have a covered storage spot (does come with a nice wheeled cart, so I keep mine in the garage)
    - You need to plan your cleaning a bit in advance, as you can't run it in the rain, so need to be around to put it in, clean the basket and haul it out

I'll likely end up getting a Polaris 280 to run when the pool's really dirty (spring, winter clean up, etc.), and use this the rest of the time to keep the pool really clean and free of small stuff.

• goyom
    12 years ago

Based on my local pool store.. if you have a booster pump, the 280 is the ONLY way to go based on cost vs performance look.

• goyom
    12 years ago

Based on my local pool store.. if you have a booster pump, the 280 is the ONLY way to go based on cost vs performance look.