Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hawaiiansun1

depth of new pool build--disagreeing with PB

hawaiiansun1
11 years ago

We are about to start excavation on our rectangular pool--20x46--and met with PB today to go over details and found we are not agreeing. He says he's built pools for 9 years and recommends we do a 4 to 6' evenly sloped pool. Then he said we should do an 8-10" deep, 8' wide tanning ledge spanning width of shallow end of pool as first step, with 10" rise steps. The 6' depth would be reached 3' from deep end.

Here's why I didn't like what he said: I'm 5'2" and husband is 6'. We have 2 kids (3 yo girl and newborn boy). My husband wanted as much shallow play space as possible but still have some deep end so kids and his tall adult friends can cannonball and jump safely, plus we are planning a slide (but no diving). An 8" depth tanning shelf would mean our first step into the pool would be minimum 13" (with the 3" waterline tile above water and 2" coping thickness)--that's not a big first step for my husband but would be for me. What I wanted was a 6" depth tanning shelf with two 10" rise steps to get to 3' shallow end depth (PB's 4' depth would have put water height just below my chin), then a slow slope spanning 20' to get to depth of 4.5' for play space (PB said that slope would be too steep for play). After that, a steeper 1:4 or 1:5 slope to reach 6.5' depth. That would leave a flatbed distance of 6-8 feet of 6.5' depth before hitting the far end of the pool. Anyone see anything wrong with this or any suggestions?
PB says 6.5' depth is awkward and I would regret it. (I wanted a compromise between going really deep but wanted it to be a safe depth in case kids pushed the limits of "jumping but no diving" rule.)
PB says 6" tanning ledge too shallow.
PB says 3' to 4.5' over 20' would be too steep for play area.
PB says 1:4 or less slope from 4.5' to 6.5' would create a "ledge" at the dropoff point and be a hazard for someone jumping in from deep end and hit the steep ledge all of a sudden, so he says slope should be shallower like 1:6 or 1:7 (wouldn't that just leave me less deep end space?).
I don't want to argue with him since he has the pool building experience but I didn't agree. Am I just way off base and he's right? I don't want to regret not doing it his way, but it didn't seem to fit our wants.

Comments (8)

• tlvancouver
    11 years ago

We have a 6 inch tanning ledge - perfect depth for a "wet deck" and the bubblers work great. We then have two steps down to 3.5 feet. The only thing about a shallow tanning ledge is your only light options for the ledge are LED bubblers, it's not deep enough for others if that matters?

We have a 3.5 - 5- 3.5 24 foot long pool and the slope is great. Can't help with the deep end. Not sure if that helps :)

• hawaiiansun1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

BTW, the biggest point of contention with PB is the last point--the slope from 4.5' to 6.5' (PB still thinks we should only go to 6' deep end). I know the steepest you can go by code is 1:3, so that's why I was thinking a 1:4 or 1:5 slope to get to 6.5' as quickly as possible for as much deep end real estate. PB said this "ledge" is a hazard and that "we would be crazy to do that."

• hawaiiansun1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

To tlvancouver: do you have any flatbed portion for your depths--I mean is it flat at 3.5' for a distance before sloping to 5' or does the slope just start off the ends? At the 5' point, is it a "V" on cross-section of the pool or do you have some flat pool floor for some distance that's 5'?

• PRO
    Aqua-Link Pools and Spas
    11 years ago

You have to remember that this is your pool and you have to live with it. I'm sure his point is he doesn't want to create to steep of a slope for you and you come back to him and regret it. If you understand the concept of what you are getting then by all means do it.
    I recently got done with a pool that was 4 feet deep and then dropped straight down to 8 feet for a large deep area of 14x20. The client understood all the pros and cons of this and went ahead with it. They love it.
    Remember your builder doesn't live at your house you do. As long as it follows trade codes then do it.

• golfgeek
    11 years ago

With a 46' pool you have a lot of options for having a nice slope. Make it 7' at the deep end for shallow dives and cannonballs. Deepest point should be 8' from the deep end. A nearly flat shallow end starting at 3' or 3'6" is your choice. Risers on the steps can't exceed 12".Tthe tanning ledge can be any depth you want. It's most common to use the second step as a bench. This height makes it easier to get a pool cleaner to crawl up the step. You'll get no cleaner to clean the top step so be prepared to brush.
    Good luck.
    Can't believe the depths and slope of the pool were not part of the original quote!

• tlvancouver
    11 years ago

Our pool is only 24 feet so the slope starts right away (imperceptible while in the pool) and gradually flattens to the middle and it's flat for about 2 feet where the in floor cleaner sits then slopes again. I had to look at the plans because you can't tell when you're in the pool which is a good thing, it just transitions smoothly.

• awoodwaring
    11 years ago

Erg...had a long post and lost it...

We made 2 shelves...one at 7" down (below beam) with enough room for a couple of people to sit and a bigger one at 21" down (18" below water).

Shallow is large area (about 20' dia) with 3.5', deep is 8' for cannonballs from the waterfall area (in the shade of the tree).

• awoodwaring
    11 years ago

Here is another angle of the step; it is hard to see how big it is from the first angle. We wanted an area where people could just sit on the first step. You can also see the steeper slope to the deep end.

This design was similar to our first pool with a few modifications to better fit our needs.