Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
too much chlorine?

Posted by lnkholder (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 0:36

I acid washed my SWG this week before starting up my pool. Got the salt up to 3500 ppm, and turned on the solar which runs about 6-7 hrs a day. Now my chlorine reading is off scale. I turned the output down from 20% down to 5%, and made sure that the pump is only running during the time needed for the solar, but I'm still way off scale.

Any suggestions? The one thing I know I did wrong was put the SWG back onto the pump assembly before it was completely descaled. I got most of it off, but time got away from me and I had a drop dead deadline I had to meet; even though I could see some scaling still in the blades I rinsed it after about 15 min and put it back together.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: too much chlorine?

First, a scaled cell will not produce more, it will produce less.

What cell and what size is it?

How big is the pool?

What did you use to to measure the the chlorine?

What is the alk and CYA level of the water? If the chlorine is significant, then the pH is likely reading very high and should be ignored for the moment.

Scott

o

Thanks. It's an intellichlor SWG in a 13,000 gallon pool. The pH is a little on the high side, though not too far off - I recently added HCl but it could use a bit more. The CYA appears low based on the fact the the TC reading does not get darker with time - I don't have a CYA test.

I've been using a standard Taylor 5 drop test kit - not one of the fanciest kits, but the one with 5 chemicals. It's about a year old, and I've been using it continuously all winter. I shocked the pool with liquid chlorine a week or two before starting it up, and watched the chlorine come back down. I was getting normal results a week ago, but now I'm pegging the scale with a single drop of chlorine reagent.

o

Get a kit that has a DPD-FAS chlorine test and CYA test in it. The Taylor K-2006 has it as a does the tfteskit.net TF100.

If you have am IC-40 cell, the would be a bit large, IMHO but setting it to a low power with a low CYA, assuming the water is at least 70 degrees, shouldn't be too high, assuming you aren't running it continuously. How long is your filter cycle?

Scott

o

I cut it back so that it's only filtering when the solar is on - maybe 8 hrs. (I think; I can never really be sure because EasyTouch programming is a trial and error process that make no sense to me. But I think it is currently off overnight.)

I had no problem with excess chlorine the last two years. I usually run it for 8 hrs at 20%, bumping it up to 40% or more if there is heavy demand.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here