Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Pool Build - Katy, TX

Posted by mwardgeo (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 23:16

I have been lurking for a while and learned a ton from the site. We decided to go ahead with the pool about mid- January. After talking with 5 pool builders we decided to go with Gulf Coast Pools. Here are some specs:

All equipment is Pentair
Roughly 35' by 20' Free form
6" Baha Shelf with 4 bubblers
3.5' to 8' depth
2 waterfalls with a 6' slide in between
4 whisperlite pumps
3 intellibrite lights
4 fire features on the waterfalls
400,000 btu heater
DE filter
8' spa with 4 jet independent foot dome
Outdoor Kitchen
Firepit
Kid fence

As far as specifics, if you would like to know just ask. I will post some pics as soon as I figure out how.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Pool Build - Katy, TX

Congrats on the new pool!!!

You've got a great pool builder, post some progress pic's as the pool starts taking shape during construction. I'd actually like to see the design on where they placed the slide between the falls and what material it's being constructed out of. Although many people don't, I love slides.

See ya,
Kelly

o

mwardgeo....congratulations! The feature list looks impressive and can't wait to see the design and build unfold.

o

OK, since I now figured out how to link photos hopefully I can show everyone the progress so far:

outline
Photobucket
Dig Day
dig

Gunite on the slide
slide gunite

Slide post gunite in the first stage of rock work:
waterfall construction

Spa
spa cons

More to follow soon.

o

A few more photos

An overview from the second floor.
view from the second floor

Our lifeguard in training - Boof-
Lifeguard in training - Boof-

Shallow end
Shallow end with baha shelf

Tomorrow we paint out the deck.

o

A couple more;

The equipment pad
equipment pad

A view from where the firepit will be:
pre decking

o

I really like your pool - impressive design. I'm using Gulf Coast as well - hopefully starting in the next couple of weeks. How's your build going? Appreciate your feedback.

thanks

o

A quick update. We got plaster today. An idea of the decking and our spa:
firepit and decking

The tile work on the slide:

tile slide
[IMG]http://i1024.photobucket.com/albums/y307/mwardgeo/DSC_1068.jpg[/IMG]

Start of plaster:
start of plaster

Flagstone on the Baha shelf:
flagstone baha shelf

First Water:
first water

Spa:
Spa

By the way the plaster is Diamond Brite Tahoe Blue.

o

Are you sure it's Diamond Brite and not a mixed-on-site kncok-off like Quartzscapes? Who did the plaster?

o

Yes it is definately Diamond brite.

o

I can verify that it was Diamond Brite. I saw the bags.

o

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!! It's gorgeous! The tile on the slide is amazing! The rock work...fantastic! Love your deck! Is it just brushed concrete with flagstone inlay or something else? We are doing decking next week and I'm LOVING yours! Thinking of switching from pea gravel to whatever it is that you have. Looks awesome!

One thing...does the plaster in the spa look a little off to you? It might just be the photo, but it just looks really funky on my pc. How does it look with water in it?

o

Love your pool pics...do you mind me asking how much your pool cost? I thinking about calling Gulf Coast as well

o

Anxious to see more pics of your pool with the water filled up.

o

As far as the decking we are going with spraydeck with flagstone inlays. The decking guys wanted to wait till everything else was done before they did the spray deck, so right now it is just concrete in between the flagstone. I will post some pictures of the pool as of today later tonight.

As far as cost it is going to end up around 75 when it is all said and done. Gulf Coast was not the cheapest but in my mind they were the most creative. As far as their work I have been very happy with the quality. They have also been very receptive to changes and corrections.

o

Looks great! What is the color of the flagstone and tile?

o

Oh, wow..that is the COOLEST tile-work on the slide...best slide I've seen...very snakeskin-ish (in a good way - very stylish...awesome!! Very nice build! Gulf Coast has done a great job for you guys, and you're right about not going with the "cheapest"..you really want quality. You'll be finishing up and swimming just in time for the hot weather...enjoy!

o

Sorry it has taken so long to give an update but life has kind of gotten in the way. We have been enjoying our new pool now for a few weeks now. We couldn't be happier with the way things have turned out. Although we do still have a few loose ends to tie up.

As far as what the name of the flagstone and tile where I will have to differ to David. I think the flagstone was Oklahoma something. Now to the pics:

Full Pool
tahoe blue

Spa
spa

Bubblers
bubblers

Small Waterfall
small waterfall

Main Waterfall
main waterfall

Slide
slide

Intellibrite LED
intellibrite led

LED Green
led green

Spa Spillway
spillway spa

I will post a few more pics when Gulf Coast gets the patio done and the fire features working.

o

Your tile looks similar to something I have picked out. Do you happen to remember the name of it?

o

I like the dog, and love the pool!

o

Does anyone know what color tile this is? Or whether it is Master or Noble Tile? I have been looking forever it feels like on a tile color and I really love this one and would like to pick this choice for our pool! Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

o

Nice pool.

The builder's inexperience shows up when you see the spa spillway is flush with the coping. And as always the spillway will drool onto the deck. The spillway must be a minimum of one foot inside the pool coping to avoid water loss.
Flagstone in the water is not a good idea. I hope they water sealed the gunite under the flagstone it or even a tiny grout crack will cause leakage. I would dye test any future crack in grout to check on that.

o

why no intelliflo's?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here