Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best gas pool heater

Posted by sharon2975 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 8, 11 at 22:44

Some of you may remember me from my pool build last year. We built in Atlanta and had a NIGHTMARE of a build. Since then we have been dealing with all of the mistakes our builder made. Please be sure to get a good builder before you sign a contract.
Our latest challenge is that our 1 year old Jandy legacy heater has not been working. We had a tech out today and the burners have melted and the walls of the heater are cracked. The gas pressure is fine as it had been checked a few weeks ago and there are no obstructions to the air flow of the heater. Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this? We have a Jandy 3 year pro warranty and hope that Jandy will stand behind this. In case they do not we would like to know what company makes the best gas heaters? Our heater is 250 BTUs and our pool is 15,000 gal and we have an electric cover. We hope to resolve this so that we can just enjoy our pool. Thanks in advance for any advise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best gas pool heater

I like the Rheem/Ray Pak (same heater, different distribution channels) as a replacement, such as in your situation.

That's a very serious failure you experienced and very unusual to boot.

The symptoms you describe sure sound like the gas flow may not have been adequate. Gas flow needs to be tested with the system in a static/off and dynamic/on state. I'd want to know how the tech determined these the dynamic on flow.

Things I'd look for would be the meter's size, the length of the run, the supply pipe size, and the length of 3/4" pipe connecting the heater's regulator to to the supply pipe.

I suppose it's possible a spider's or moth's nest hatched and baby spiders or caterpillars made webs that clogged things up for some burners. Another possible cause would be a gas regulator failure. It's rare but it happens. It's also possible a safety circuit device shorted, a rodent got in and did some damage...

There really isn't any way for us to determine it without seeing the unit and going CSI on it.

Scott

o
RE: best gas pool heater

Scott I have seen a few of these Legacy heaters at my distributor that experienced the same problem. Low gas pressure/flow can do a lot of things, but shouldn't melt the burner tray on a new heater.

How long have we seen older heaters with low gas pressure not suffer the same fate?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here