Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ggarner_gw

Pump settings for IntelliFlo VF

ggarner
14 years ago

I just got a new Intelliflow VF for our 23,000g pool and have a couple questions.

Right now I have it set up to run from 5am-11am and 6pm-12am. The pump determined my flow rate to be 32gal/min and that sounds about right to me for 1x turnover.

My question is that we have a Polaris 380 pool cleaner with booster pump. I am curious how much much flow do I need to have for when the booster pump kicks on? Is 60gpm enough, too much?

Another question is will the Intelliflow take this into account for the total water turnover rate and reduce the speed for the rest of the filtering cycle?

Here is what I am thinking at the moment:

5am intelliflow on

9am intelleflow increase to 60gpm

9:15am booster pump/pool cleaner on

10:30am booster pump/pool cleaner off

11:00am intelliflow off

6pm intelliflo on

12am intelliflow off

If the intelliflow runs @ the 32gpm as it is right now that would make for 26,400 gal circulated. Is it smart enough to slow down the 32g/min to compensate for the time I need to to do 60 for the pool cleaner to run?

I think I just answered my own question because in the manual under time optimized filter cycle it says it will cut off earlier. So I guess the real question is how much flow do I need when the booster pump is on?

Comments (4)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

The 32 GPM is fine for the booster.

I assume the pool is an outdoor pool. As such, running at night is not when it needs to run. The pool will get most of its use in the day and combined with the sun's energy, you need to be putting in chlorine during this time.

Without the sun and usage, the chlorine will simply build up. If the pool is off in the afternoon, the chlorine demand (usage) increases and isn't being replenished. This give a window of opportunity for unwanted biologicals to get a toehold and grow.

I suggest Starting at 8 am at 50 GPM for 15 minutes so the skimmer works, then 30 GPM till noon with the pool sweep boost set in there, another 15 min. burst for the skimmers, and again at 3pm and 6pm.

Scott

• ggarner
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion Scott, that's a great idea!

I was originally trying to keep the pool off between 12pm and 6pm because there used to be some sort of deal with SDG&E about reducing the load at these times. But that was with the old 2hp single speed pump. Forgot about how efficient these variable speeds are (at 32gpm i think we were drawing 190Watts). So taking that into account plus the fact that we dont have an AC unit on our house I dont have a problem running it during peak times.

So just to make sure I am understanding your suggestion correctly, basically how I would program it is as follows:
    Filter time 8am till 8pm
    Feature 3 8:05am till 8:20am 50GPM
    Feature 4 12:00pm till 12:15pm 50GPM
    Feature 5 3:00pm till 3:15pm 50GPM
    Feature 6 6:00pm till 6:15pm 50GPM

Then I can have my pool sweep on from 9-10:30am or whatever.
    And as the pump does the turnover calc it should actually turn off the pump around 6:30pm give or take a little.

• mbhaska
    14 years ago

Hi All,

I would appreciate if some one help explain whats going on with my Intelliflo VF pump.

I have a VF that was running for about 22 Hrs turning a 20K pool once a day. It was running at around 16 GPM and it ran fine for over a month. 16GPM x 22hrs ~ 20K gallons.. Perfect.

Then I introduced solar heating and programmed feature 3 on the pump to 30 GPM for 5 Hrs a day. The rest of the time the pump is scheduled to run at 16 GPM.

It starts at 6.00 AM and runs at 16 GPM till feature 3 kicks on at 11.00 AM. So thats 5 Hrs which equals 16x60x5 = 4800 gallons

From 11.00 am to 4.00 pm feature 3 runs at 30 GPM. So thats 30x60x5 = 9000 gallons.

At the end of feature 3 total gallons filtered = 4800 + 9000 = 13800

The pump then goes into power save/sleep mode which it is supposed to do when it thinks its finished the cycle sooner than necessary. But there is still about 6200 gallons to filter which means the pump should have ramped down to 16 GPM and run for at least 6 hrs.

Am I calculating something wrong ? Can some one explain to me whats going on ?

Pentair's "So called" Technical support had no clue and they rudely hung up the phone saying that no one can say what the computer calculates. This is exactly what they said. Pentair has the worst technical support team ever.

Please help..

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

Are you configuring from an automation system or as a stand alone system?

Scott