Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
interesting plumbing problem....

Posted by mixman1 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:15

So......Brand new pool (see spec's below).....When first filled with water, and in regular pool circulation mode, (return valve set at 75%pool and 25%spa) I could set the intelliflo to 1500rpm and water would push through both the pool, and the spa. The spa has an overflow that goes down to the pool. All suction is from pool. There is a check valve on the spa return due to it being +24" in elevation.

All of that is completely normal, right?

Then, about 2 months later, I noticed that water was no longer flowing to the spa. I had to boost the RPM to 2100rpm to get water to go to spa again. Filter pressure had not changed at all, but I backwashed anyway just in case, NO CHANGE! I opened the check valve and made sure it moved freely and had no obstructions. Pool builder is stumped.
I can accept that 1500rpm might be a little slow to run the pump, but I can't understand why it has changed?

Any Ideas????

spec's:
13,800 gallon in-ground, gunite pool and spa with pebble-sheen surface and infinity edge.
Intelli-flo variable speed pump for pool and spa, whisper-flo 2hp for infinity edge. Booster pump for cleaner.
Easy- Touch 8 controller with salt water generator. DE filter.
Spa is elevated 24" above pool eleavation.
Equipment is at spa elevation.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: interesting plumbing problem....

Which DE filter?

Was that the 1st time it was backwashed?

Scott

o

The DE filter is pentair....FNS60

Yes, first backwash. Pressure was only barely raised when I did the backwash. But I thought it might fix the problem. No Luck.
Last night I put the multi-port valve in "recirculate" and that allowed me to reduce the pump speed to 750rpm and see a tiny bit of circulation to the spa. But that is still 250rpm higher than originally. And originally, there was good circulation there, not just a tiny bit.

o

Is it possible the grids got oil coated with skin oils and tanning lotions? You may need to manually wash the cake off and soak it in TSP or cheap powdered dishwasher detergent.

Are all the jets in the spa shooting water properly? Putting the spa in drain mode to a few inches below the jets and switching to normal mode will tell you. Sometimes some crud gets in the nozzles.

There might be some crud in the impeller too.

Scott

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here