Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikkineel

Heating the pool

nikkineel
16 years ago

We are in Georgia and the weather was gorgeous today. We turned the heater on the pool at about 4:00. At that point the outside temp was in the low 70s and the pool was 59 degrees. Five hours later, the temp in the pool has only risen to 61. How long does it usually take for the pool to heat the first time? Our pool is app. 28,000 gallons. Thanks for your response.

Comments (10)

• jrgina
    16 years ago

What type heater do you have?
    Gas is quicker,but costy.
    Heat pump could take a couple days.
    Longer if you don`t have a thermal cover!
    Good Luck...JR

• dpdp
    16 years ago

I have 14,000 gallon pool and a 400K BTU heater. I usually figure 3 degrees an hour. At cost of $5 per hour run. Other considerations are outside temperature, wind ...

If you have a 100K BTU heater, the math adds up. About .4 degrees an hour (.38).

• salsajose
    16 years ago

I live in Marietta GA and our pool is 18,000gals with a Hayward 400K BTU heater and from 59degrees to 84degrees which is comfortable swimming temperature. It should take approximately 20-24hrs. 1-2degree increase per hr. Maybe less time with direct sunlight on the pool which is ideal. Our pool dephts are 3.5', 5' , 4' If your pool has deep water it will take longer to heat up. Hope this helps.

• gorilla_x
    16 years ago

nikkineel,

The rough formula for calculating pool heating:
    1 BTU is needed to raise the temp of 1 pound of water 1 degree F

You first need to compute pounds of water:
    P = Pounds of water = Gallons * 8.33 pounds per gallon

So to raise the temp of your 28K gallon pool 1 degree F, you need this many BTUs:
    B = BTUs = 28K * 8.33 = 233,240

So it takes 233,240 BTUs to raise the temp of your pool by 1 degree (assuming there are no losses, and you use a blanket on the pool surface while you heat it.

You can now compute the number of hours that youÂll need to operate your heater just to raise the temp 1 degree F:
    Number of Hours = (your Heater BTU output) / B

If you have a 400K heater (puts out 400K BTUs each hour), youÂll need to operate that heater:
    400K / 233,240 = 1.71 hours

Again, you have losses, so 1.71 hours is the minimum number of hours... in reality, it will take longer.

-Gorilla

• lostinga
    16 years ago

So how much does all this heating cost?

How do you figure that out?

• ventura43
    16 years ago

How much does it cost? Depends on the type of heater. We heated ours for 8 days between Christmas & New Years. Outside temps were 60- days, 40-nights. We kept the pool covered w/ a solar blanket when it wasn't in use. This is a 6200 gal pool. Cost us $300 worth of propane!

• nikkineel
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Our pool has a sunshelf in the shallow and goes to 3 to 8 feet or so. We are going to try to heat it up again this weekend. Our spring break is next week so I hope to be able to swim in it during the week. We are also in Georgia. Salsa, I'm curious since you are also in Georgia, did you maintain the heat? If so, how did that go? Are you swimming this week? Thanks for the input.

• sylvanarrow
    16 years ago

Ok, I'm envious of you guys and your 70 degree weather :) It's still in the 40s here most days.

To save money on heating pools, you may want to look into solar pool heaters. Some states even offer tax incentives for installing them, since they save on energy resources.

• landa_mac
    16 years ago

I have 480sq. feet of solar panels on my roof for my 21,000 gallon in-ground pool. On a warm (75 degree), sunny day, I am seeing about a 7 degree rise in pool temperature. Depending on how cold it is at night, the pool temp drops back about 5-6 degrees (it has typically been in the high 40's here at night).