Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Bubbles with Solar

Posted by chmpgntst (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 21:08

Hello there,
We are relatively new to our home and we are first-time pool owners. Lots to learn!

A few months ago we notice that when the solar heat was on, we had huge bubbles coming from where the water enters the pool, and on the second floor we could hear it "churning." A "solar guy" recommended checking our filters, and sure enough, our filters were filthy. We had the filters changed and the solar was running smoothly.

Until today. Now it is bubbling and churning again. Our pool was serviced yesterday -- could the pool guy have done something to cause this? Yes, I know the obvious answer is to call them, but when I called our pool service company about the churning the first time, they said they didn't know anything about solar, they just did the pumps and filters (as an aside, is that normal?).

Any thoughts or suggestions? TIA.

Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Bubbles with Solar

If the bubbles only occur on pump startup for the first few minutes, that is normal and part of the solar panel priming process.

However, if the bubbles continue and never stop, then it is probably the solar vacuum release valve allowing air into the panels. This usually occurs because the pressure at the panels has dropped and that in turn is usually due to a dirty filter but it can be caused by other factors as well. Try cleaning the filter first and see if that helps.

o

I will second the cleaning of the filter first and if that fails, climbing up to the roof top and checking the vacuum relief valve that lets air out when the system is priming but keeps the water in and lets air in when the system is turned off.

Scott

o

It turns out the vacuum was completely stopped up -- a hunk of fibrous root was in there. The pressure must have tripped that valve. (I wrote my original post last night... noticed this morning that the vacuum wasn't running either.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here