Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlinman_gw

Help please quick separate systems for spa - Austin

marlinman
13 years ago

My builder wants to keep the spa completly separate from the pool, he is doing this because he says it's more efficient. I have not seen this done before and just want to verify it's a wise thing todo. And what are the advantages and disadvantages? I would think it would have to cost more because of the extra equipment, but his bid is lower then the others not by much though. Thanks.

Comments (4)

• golfgeek
    13 years ago

marlinman,
    I see nothing particularly efficient about adding a separate body of water to the backyard that requires its own pump and filter. This also increases your maintenance.

The variable speed pumps address these types of needs very well and are much more efficient than the system you are describing.

Please make sure he is really advocating a total separation of the spa and pool before proceding. I would tend to discard this bid if it is as you describe.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Never mind what this builder wants. The main question is what do you want?

Is the separate pool and spa the look you want? Are you willing to pay the additional price?

With a separated pool and spa, I lean towards a separate pump and filter system with a potentially shared heater or independent heating systems. This will cost several thousand more than a pool with an attached spa that spills into the pool because of the added equipment.

Both configurations would do well with variable speed pumps.

Where are you located?

Scott

• mas985
    13 years ago

I vote shared system.

I agree that a VS pump can handle both tasks in a shared system but I am a big believer in having a separate jet pump. A separate jet pump bypasses all the pad equipment and doesn't require high velocity water to go through the filter and heater and valves..... That is inefficient. If you have a separate jet pump sized properly for the jets and only the jets, they will work better and more efficiently. The circulation pump can still be used to filter and heat both the pool and spa but at lower more efficient speeds. The spa will need to have and extra set of returns for the circulation pump but that isn't a big deal.

Also, with a shared system, it is much easier to refresh the spa water by running in overflow mode. Plus it looks cool. With a stand alone spa, you will need to replace the water periodically as the water gets nasty with such a small volume and large number of users.

• nanhsot
    13 years ago

We do have a stand alone spa and MUCH prefer it. It really depends on usage of your spa, my spouse get in daily. Propane powered spas use up a lot of energy, if it's going to be used daily that's not really feasible.

We don't have the spillover style, in fact the spa is physically separated and kept hot all the time.

In Austin you have a pretty long swim season without a heater, so I'd factor that in as well.

I think you need to look at your overall usage, what your personal needs are.