Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
golfer38

Spa Builders - LX-15 Issue

golfer38
15 years ago

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for any feedback. I have an LX-15 that has not been working in a while. It started last summer with the breaker tripping immediatley upon "power on". I didnt mess with it until this week. The spa was dirty so I drained it, cleaned it and refilled the spa. In turning it on again (hoping the problem went away..lol) the breaker kept on tripping. I followed many of the tips from the posts here to no avail. Here is what I did and the outcome. I will tell you now that I think it is narrowed down to the xmr but its tough for me to think that went bad. So before I spend money on parts, I wanted to run my findings by the forum folks here.

1) I disconnected everything to the LX-15 panel (Pump1, pump 2, Ozone, blower, light, pressure switch, temp/high limit, control panel, heater). The breaker still kept on tripping

2) I checked the heater for connectivity and the reading was "open". But, the breaker kept on tripping (I may have a couple issues). I could not check the power as it is running through a couple of relays (L1 and L2) and a rectangular connector to the xmr.

At this point, I disconnected the rectangular connector from the relay to the xmfr and breaker did not trip. So this is why I think it may be the xmr. But, nothing else can be checked (heater, pumps, etc.) as power flows from breaker to L1 (fused), L2 and N to the lug connectors. From there, the power (l1 and L2) flow goes into two relays (I think). From there, power flows into the rectangular connector and into the xmr (Red and Black in, yellow and yellow out).

I checked voltage going into the xmr (120v each leg, 240v total). I had to hard wire from the connector (Male) to the connector (Female) so I can use my meter and not trip the breaker. The output from the xmfr was 5-6vac on each leg. I then plugged the connector back into the board and the breaker tripped. (not sure if this is a normal reading).

I did check the R in the heater and it read open, so maybe the heater is also bad.

So, I am not sure if my xmfr is bad.

Thanks again for any input.

Jim

Comments (2)