Return to the Pools & Spas Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In ground poured bath tub, need info.

Posted by drake33t (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 19:35

In Ground Poured Bath Tub, Need Info.
In ground bathtub poured concrete.... have you done this and can you help?

Yes I would like some help on installing a poured concrete tub, please no stupid comments or reply's leave that for the playground, thanks.

I would like to know how to do this, I am a contractor this is for my house and I don't need to know about digging a hole or if it will drain. I've looked on the net no info that is really in depth.

What I need to know is how thick the walls should be, can I use ready mix, should I use epoxy re-bar, how should i insulate the tub.
Would it be best if i sealed the ground with Blue skin then poured the tub?
If I were to use a roll on Acrylic emulsion or another rubber coating for the inside of the tub would it provide a barrier for heat transfer to the cement, lets face it its a bath not a hot tub so I'm not worried about loss over a long period as if I were to be keeping it hot indefinitely.
Would it be best to use foam insulation on the ground before I pour?
Also I am heating my floor with heating cable could I use this in the tub also? I know its electric though your floor gets wet and if you were standing there same result if there were a problem, that's also why theirs a GFI installed.

My tub will be a 5' corner in ground, 2' deep with a step down and a seat, the sides of the tub will extend 6" above the floor.
The ground is solid clay so I'm thinking this is an amazing base to put a tub in, now I know why my 110 year old home has never shifted.

I would appreciate any useful information on this as I would like to get going asap!!

Thanks Drake

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In ground poured bath tub, need info.

Honestly I would call a local pool builder. You are basically wanting a indoor spa.
12 on 12 #3 rebar, with 4 bars at the top and a little thicker 12", and 6 to 8" of concrete/shotcrete in the walls.
You can insulate under it, but remember that is a lot of weight, and insulation could crush over time causing it to move. Not really necessary. Running heat strips in the pour sounds like a reasonable idea.
Unless water table is high or something don't see sealing exterior. Seal interior well and probably tile it, just like you would do any wet location.
Again, call a PB, they could hook you up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pools & Spas Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here