Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drlgengtx

Flagstone Beach Entry with Salt , Pump HP and Chillers?

drlgengtx
14 years ago

Hello - I'm in the process of designing/evaluating a pool design and would appreciate your feedback...this forum has been very helpful in my research.

I like the flagstone beach entry and when it's placed on benches under the water. I will be using a salt system. Has anyone had any issues with utilizing flagstone for a beach entry with a salt system? Better alternatives?

What recommended HP/flowrate would you recommend for a 6-8 ft water fall and three bubblers? Will the same pump suffice?

Any feedback on how chillers work in the Houston area? Specifically the glacier iceblock? Other alternatives? Is it worth the money or can I simply run my water fall during the night?

thanks for the help

Comments (6)

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

Here's a few different looks

Grey plaster with faux boulder coping

sandy beach pebbletec medium oklahoma flagstone coping

midnight blue pebbletec dark oklahoma coping

If you'd like some more different looks let me know.

See ya,
    Kelly

• drlgengtx
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you for the pics Kelly - some impressive pools! I like the sandy beach. In your experience, have you encountered any issues with placing flagstone under the water with a salt system? Do you have any experience with the chillers?

thanks for your help.

• tsunami
    14 years ago

Consider a variable speed pump for the waterfall to control the flow and the noise. My waterfall is 4 ft high and at higher speeds it makes a considerable amount of noise. Sometimes I'll turn it up to drown out the noise of a street nearby. I've also had to turn it down to hold a converastion with visitors. I'm glad have the option. Use 3" pipe for more efficient flow.

• huskyridor
    14 years ago

I've done many hundreds of pools with flagstone under the water. You'll actually find in a salt water pool that the rock underwater does better than the rock above the waterline.
    On the chillers I've never done the Glacier brand coolers.
    I'm also in the Houston area and have had great luck with the gas defrosting heat pumps which can chill in the summer or heat more affordable in the winter than natural gas or propane. I have 2 of them on my pool which are running right now. I use them to bring on the swim season a little early and then maintain the swim temp (mid 80's) from Halloween to the first of December. I've only used the chillers every now and then during the summer, last summer was one of the times. My pool is very large and does a decent job of keeping reasonably cool water in the summertime. On an average pool size in SE Texas I'd definitely have one.
    I haven't priced a Glacier but would assume it to come in at less than half the price of a heater/chiller.

I'll look this evening and get you some pic's of all flagstone beaches and steps/benches with flagstone.

See ya,
    Kelly

• Holland1712_cox_net
    13 years ago

Does anyone have an expereice with wehter or not Oklhoma Flagsteon breaksdown du to salt water splash out or from coming down a wterfall if the rock is kept well sealed with penatrating sealers?

I an just finishing a pool and have no tdecided on salt of Ozonator plus chlorine.

Thanks for you repsones.

Mark

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

A salt pool is a chlorine pool. Ozone on a residential doesn't, IMHO, bring much of a benefit like it might on a large commercial system.

Sealing will help Ok. flagstone.

Scott